Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
it’s not a powered assist

it’s that these units being transported are not powered up (that’s why we see the 12v jump starters out before they drive them)

on the way up, the guy has to do an Olympic squat to raise the hood weight against the gearing

on the way down, it moves slowly because of the weight-assist against the gearing
CT is supposed to have 48v system.
Sponsored

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What makes you think its 12v and not 48v? Just legacy thinking or do you know something specific?

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
*48V battery. There is no 12V battery in the Cybertruck.
A habit that will take some time to forget...12V supplier components are not in the CT.
sure about that?

CyberTruck isn’t all 48v
CT is supposed to have 48v system.
What makes you think its 12v and not 48v? Just legacy thinking or do you know something specific?
Folks, there is no suggestion here that the CT doesn't have 48v components.

But the CT is not 100% 48v (Tesla has described this previously).

Meanwhile, all of the jumper boxes seen to date being used to power-up the vehicle are standard 12v units. (see eg @JBee 's comments below/above)

So, we'll all have to wait and find out what exactly is still on 12v architecture vs 48v arch, and how the overall power system works between the two.

Regardless of the fact that we've seen them jumping what appears to still be a 12v battery and how that relates to the CT's partial 48v architecture, it's really besides the point of the thread: feel free to imagine whatever battery voltage you like that isn't powered in these units as they raise/lower the hood in the outbound logistics lot.

Proof is in the pudding.

The Ecoflow battery pack they had in the frunk pictures only has a 12V and 110V output. They were using standard jumper cables though, so I'd say 100% there's a 12V battery in there that they plugged into the 12.6V 30A Ecoflow outlet.

This conversation has been had on the 48V thread, there's still a 12V battery, it's just that some of the larger power users are on 48V. All the electronics run on 12V or lower still.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I would not want to touch that steel after being under the strong Texas Summer sun for the day.
it's funny, if you re-watch the video when he's lowering the hood - he first places his palm on the top of the hood, then quickly thinks better of it, moving his hand and using his fingertips on the fascia lip just below the hood running light

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Here is the CT pic I was referring to. Clearly a damping or support lift strut. Nothing on the driver‘s side. Not sure how it would open unless there was something pushing from inside the truck under the dash to open. I saw nothing during the Munro CT dual motor frunk closeup. Pretty sure he would have said something if there was any indication of power opening.

IMG_0148.jpeg

Here’s the Lightning pic

IMG_0149.jpeg
The Model S has powered lift arms that look very similar to this in the rear hatch.

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X90
Occupation
retired
Country flag

EDIT TO ADD:

Since inevitably folks will be confused.

The video shows an unpowered truck having its hood raised/lowered against resistance of the geared motor. If you’re familiar with this, it’ll be obvious. The video is for those who have to see for themselves (and, apparently, who have experience with moving an unpowered motor against its gearing).

Independent of the video, I am confirming the hood is powered.

Q&A:

It’s not a powered assist. It’s that these units being transported are not powered up (that’s why we see the 12v jump starters out before they drive them).

On the way up, the guy has to do an Olympic squat to raise the hood weight against the gearing.

On the way down, it moves slowly because of the weight-assist against the gearing.
Im in agreement, this looks and acts just like the after market power Frunk I have on my model X. Im curious tho, I can see the gas struts on my car, used to power the frunk up and down, and the gas struts on my trunk lid, but I dont see any struts on the cyber truck.

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
the CT doesn’t have visible struts like the lightning - only the hinge is visible

if you have a lightning, unclear which you’re asking to be measured?

The CT mechanism has been described, by someone in the know, as “magic” 😀
74C75409-3D57-4A7F-958C-E8E00404A1D6.jpeg
19CE78AE-0102-4936-940F-DA3E9E90897C.jpeg
AB13690D-979A-4133-BA68-8ADC3CCA63EC.jpeg
92B5B7B8-51D1-4A6E-A0B9-F9158300F1AA.jpeg
I'd missed that.
Not sure, but on the left and right sides, in the shadows you can see two labels attached to something that could be actuators. Complete WAG.
Like a much more sturdy version of the Model 3 Charge door?
tesla-model-3-charge-port.jpg

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Looks like he is working against the gearing to me.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Like a much more sturdy version of the Model 3 Charge door?
tesla-model-3-charge-port.jpg
that’s gotta be roughly it - two of them, coordinated (or could be one large one powering both)

here’s the M3 charge door motor and hinge set-up. Imagining the charge door to instead be a corner of the hood, it seems likely.

Hood open:

Tesla Cybertruck Powered Frunk Confirmed! Video shows frunk's unpowered motor moved against its gearing 90CDB810-53E0-4D78-B351-A79DF73A3D8F

hood closed:

Tesla Cybertruck Powered Frunk Confirmed! Video shows frunk's unpowered motor moved against its gearing 8993E396-DA30-48D5-8076-687AD6A49DA1

hood closed, viewed from inside Frunk looking to driver’s side corner (I inverted the photo for that orientation)

Tesla Cybertruck Powered Frunk Confirmed! Video shows frunk's unpowered motor moved against its gearing 419DD0A4-1C76-48A4-B19A-BC1695D6D96F

Tesla Cybertruck Powered Frunk Confirmed! Video shows frunk's unpowered motor moved against its gearing 93458D7D-541A-4C46-A173-8A19552C3DC6

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag

EDIT TO ADD:

Since inevitably folks will be confused.

The video shows an unpowered truck having its hood raised/lowered against resistance of the geared motor. If you’re familiar with this, it’ll be obvious. The video is for those who have to see for themselves (and, apparently, who have experience with moving an unpowered motor against its gearing).

Independent of the video, I am confirming the hood is powered.

Q&A:

It’s not a powered assist. It’s that these units being transported are not powered up (that’s why we see the 12v jump starters out before they drive them).

On the way up, the guy has to do an Olympic squat to raise the hood weight against the gearing.

On the way down, it moves slowly because of the weight-assist against the gearing.
You’re right. This is absolutely a powered frunk. They should have an option where it will open automatically if you stand near it holding groceries. It has a front camera, so totally doable.
Sponsored