Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
An alternative scenario might be to improve your financial situation to make the CT4 a relatively cheap price too.
sure, another option is having a rich family to just buy me 1. :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
sure, another option is having a rich family to just buy me 1. :ROFLMAO:
Don’t unicorns poop candy or something? Can’t you just sell some of your crap?

Or maybe heal virgins with the touch of your horn?

Gotta be some angle here. It’s either that or make a lot more bottle openers.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
B u Y t S L a

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Prices are going way up. I'll be happy if I can get a long range dual motor for under $100k CAD.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would like to know what makes something “4 wheel drive”?

My car has 2 motors which directly transfer power to the wheels. It is a more direct connection than any 4WD truck on the market. Most 4WD trucks have a differential so it’s not that.

So what exactly makes my car not 4WD versus a Toyota pickup truck?

Same question applies to the tri motor.

I get what the difference between a motor per wheel versus a motor driving a differential is. But you used the term 4 wheel drive here which muddies the water.
I was responding to someone else's usage of the term, but to answer your question 4WD means that you are mechanically driving all 4 wheels. Traditionally that meant a transfer case and a separate transmission providing you with 2-Wheel High, 2-Wheel Low, 4-Wheel High, and 4-Wheel Low modes (the Low modes are crawl - high traction, low speed - modes typically limited to less than 15 mph). Several decades ago lockout hubs were introduced so that you could free two of the wheels. Later they came up with on-demand 4WD but it was still using a transfer case and separate transmission. 4WD is typically used in demanding/dangerous and offroad conditions where traction loss can be common: steep/uneven terrain, rocky terrain, deep sand, mud, water, snow, ice, etc.

All wheel drive (AWD) was introduced for more urban settings to retain traction. It is not controlled by the driver as is 4WD, there is no transfer case or separate transmission. It is generally associated with anti-slip or traction control.

These terms both originated for single engine vehicles.

BEVs with multiple motors and torque vectoring introduce new notions of AWD because now you can independently provide power to the wheels. It 'could' be much more like 4WD, and possibly better, but that is not how Tesla has implemented it to date in their AWD variants; it is still an anti-skid/slip system. If they go the distance with the CT then (and especially with the quad-drive, 4 wheel steering) the term AWD should be dropped and replaced with something new like All Terrain Drive (ATD), All Condition Drive (ACD), or Total Control Drive (TCD). Then discussions like this would not be necessary (unless people wanted to compare the three :) ).

NewUser

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW 2013 GTI
Country flag
You are dead wrong. Tesla honors their quotes. When they increase prices it is on new orders. I have bought a Model 3 and a Model Y and both times there were price increases between the time I ordered and the time I got the vehicle and Tesla always honored the price they quoted me.

You may want to check the pre-order agreement then.

"Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configura'on and Final Price Sheet. As you
may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an
es'mate and is subject to change"

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Price Increases?

Arguing that of course there will be a price hike for a vehicle that took the risk to release a price in 2019 (years before planned production) and has not yet come to market is the equivalent of stating the people that run Tesla are ignorant idiots who didn't realize there could be inflation, and they should probably also account for some level of unkown, since they didn't even have a factory yet, they didn't know what the competition was going to bring, they didn't assume some level of "mission creep" or "project creep" or "objective creep" (whatever you want to call changes to the truck) and they were years out from even their own optimistic timeline for production starting the end of 2021. If you think they were so ignorantly bliss to all these things when they undoubtedly took a calculated risk to release a price years in advance of production (albeit not a price guarantee) then you must think Tesla is run by idiots. I don't.
I still do not expect a price change.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You may want to check the pre-order agreement then.

"Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configura'on and Final Price Sheet. As you
may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an
es'mate and is subject to change"
Your comment fails to address or even talk about the comment you replied to.

NewUser

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW 2013 GTI
Country flag
Your comment fails to address or even talk about the comment you replied to.
How does it not? We are talking about Price Increase and tesla honoring the price.

The Pre-Order Agreement states that it is subject to change.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How does it not? We are talking about Price Increase and tesla honoring the price.

The Pre-Order Agreement states that it is subject to change.
It says the total price is subject to change. Which includes options, fees, and taxes.

Also, what happened to Rivian when they raised their price?

And also, Tesla has always kept their promises, with this language in their reservations, even when they had to raise the price.

-Crissa

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Threading needles here, but we have reservations not pre-orders.

NewUser

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW 2013 GTI
Country flag
It says the total price is subject to change. Which includes options, fees, and taxes.

Also, what happened to Rivian when they raised their price?

And also, Tesla has always kept their promises, with this language in their reservations, even when they had to raise the price.

-Crissa

Fair enough. But i thought with Rivian, they were already producing/taking delivery of the Truck and then they decided that they were going to increase Price. We arent even remotely close to that point.
Sponsored