Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Most cars have 2-Lo? It's used for going up and down hills at road speed. My dad's truck had it in 1996. The 4-wheel gears were separate. It's just UI, really.

-Crissa
The land cruiser has full time 4WD.

Still have not heard a reasonable case for why my model y is not 4WD.

Lacks a transfer case? It has an entire second motor to deal with that. Doesn’t have locking differential? Nor do many 4WD vehicles.

I think the distinction is 100% arbitrary.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was always told the difference was whether you could lock the power to all wheels positively (four wheel drive) instead of merely negatively (traction control using brakes, All wheel drive).

Basically, can it spin all the wheels equally or does it use braking to spread power across the wheels?

This is only really important in scrambling across loose surfaces like sand.

As far as I know. I don't really care about pedantic differences, they often are used for gating and bullying.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
when i was a kid i thought the 4wd on the mudflaps on my dads toyota pickup meant... Ford :ROFLMAO:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The first Cybertruck, the Quad Motor, is at least another year away.

MSRP? I’m guessing $89,990 before options.

A Dual Motor Model Y is now $63,990. No way is the Dual Motor Cybertruck going to be less expensive. Every year the truck is delayed the more expensive it will be.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A Dual Motor Model Y is now $63,990. No way is the Dual Motor Cybertruck going to be less expensive. Every year the truck is delayed the more expensive it will be.
Wasn't the Dual Motor Cybertruck always cheaper than the Dual Motor Model Y?

The Dual Motor Cyvertruck was announced at $49K, the Dual Motor Model Y was $51K.

In 2019.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
I said it long ago, you will never see a 39k cybertruck. The reality is Tesla promises lower prices but never has delivered, partly because they take years between reveal and production and costs go up the longer they delay.
What if the cyber truck comes out during the recession or stagflation?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What if the cyber truck comes out during the recession or stagflation?
Do you even know what stagflation is?

Geez, of all the people complaining about inflation this last year, it's amazing to think many were adults in 1980.

Current inflation and gdp growth is hampered by how we measure them. We don't correct for massive corporate profits or synthetic asset bubbles, both of which hide the true rates from us.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wasn't the Dual Motor Cybertruck was always cheaper than the Dual Motor Model Y?

The Dual Motor Cyvertruck was announced at $49K, the Dual Motor Model Y was $51K.

In 2019.

-Crissa
This is still my benchmark.

If people want to talk about inflation, here’s the perfect benchmark. Guessing base CT will be $80k has zero to do with inflation or pricing increases on existing models. It’s just throwing darts based on pessimism.

jcryer3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Ram Promaster
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I suspect that when the final configuration, options and price comes out all of us reservation holders will be asked to increase the deposit in order to finalize our reservation. That way Tesla will know what the real market is. I bet 50% of the current reservations will drop out.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
With interest rates once near zero, it was a matter of dropping below zero or raising.

Its no surprise that there is more scope going up than down.

I've grown up with higher interest rates all my life, so I guess it's a shock for some to be staring at 5% and an almighty 8% inflation rate lol.

The good news is there is scope to raise interest rates as a lever to control inflation, and hopefully a balance can be found before interest gets too high.

If inflation was 8% and interest 17% I would be worried, right now I'm not overly concerned,,, we will recover before the CT comes out. imo

If it goes up in price, so will have your wage, that's life.

mrbig1225

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Cyber Truck
Occupation
Research
Country flag
With the car markets in such chaos and soaring price points, any idea how this may impact our reservation prices?
Oh yeah there will be price change, and Tesla doesn't have to honor anything because the model that will be available is one they never discussed. Tesla months after the reveal started talking quad motor....this will be the 1st released model for months or years I predict. Because of this there is no price lock on anything including FSD, because no one has reserved that model. I suspect It won't have much more than 350 miles, and cost 100k or more. Sorry folks 🤷🏾‍♂️. Here is hoping for 500mile version, but I doubt it a the beginning.

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
Tesla has raised prices on preorders before. Elon has recently talked in interviews how he had to get up in front of a room of Roadster 1.0 customers and tell them the price would be higher. He describes how bad he felt about it.

My impression of the CT reveal is that they tried to do an Apple-style reveal, wowing people with the prices at the end. In 2019, those prices were achievable, but as usual he underestimated the time to market, meaning a lot of underlying costs have changed since then.

I believe Tesla will try and honor the prices to the extent they can, vis-a-vis the $35k M3 which was produced, but briefly. They will probably pad margin with a number of options, and maybe come out with the higher trim (eg 4-motor) first, which is what they usually do.

There's a chance they'll have to bump prices up, if they just can't make the preorder pricing work, that being something Elon alluded to in another interview (if we, having massive economies of scale can't make a truck cheap and profitable, it's almost impossible for someone else).

Either way I don't think they'll be gouging .. at least hopefully not to the same extent of recent Tesla price increases which are quite speculative. But ultimately, we just have to wait another year and see.

Bjorneo

First Name
Bjorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tundra, '15 Forester, '16 Fusion, '87 911 Cab
Occupation
Retired Software Exec
Country flag
By the time we see first deliveries the announced prices will be four years old. Maybe 5 years old, or more. Why would anyone expect those numbers to be doable or honored? No way!
Unless there is a promotional model like the Ford 150 Fleet anything much under 100k will be a bonus IMO.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With interest rates once near zero, it was a matter of dropping below zero or raising.

Its no surprise that there is more scope going up than down.

I've grown up with higher interest rates all my life, so I guess it's a shock for some to be staring at 5% and an almighty 8% inflation rate lol.

The good news is there is scope to raise interest rates as a lever to control inflation, and hopefully a balance can be found before interest gets too high.

If inflation was 8% and interest 17% I would be worried, right now I'm not overly concerned,,, we will recover before the CT comes out. imo

If it goes up in price, so will have your wage, that's life.
not for retiree's

Geo9598

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Dual Motor)
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Of Course they are going to increase prices on the CT. They increased price on all models. The CT is no exception to this. The question is how much will they increase it not If they will increase the price.
We have a price we agreed to on ordering our CT. I personally fully expect Elon to honor that agreement. And I think everyone should stop saying of course they will increase the price on the CT. It’s almost like giving them permission. How about… everyone on here say no way… we expect the price we agreed to initially.
Sponsored