JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If you can spin one wheel at a time with vectoring you can totally do it, even more easily if you can angle both wheels against each other.
Sure if you have torque vectoring that can produce torque in opposite directions on the same axle then it would work. But i haven't seen that done with one motor before, would be a very complicated to do that as you would have to somehow get the differential on that axle to spin in opposite directions whenever you want to tank steer, and then switch over to rotation in the same direction for normal driving.

Theres a difference between torque vectoring on a differential (which ICE cars like Evo etc use) in compaison using two independent motors that each drive a wheel and do not have a differential at all.

Hence torque vectoring is possible on a single motor front axle with a torque vectoring differential, but it won't turn the wheels in opposite directions which you'll need for a tank turn Rivian style. Changing the steering angle would be more of a drift than a tank turn. I suppose you could try a 3 wheel tank turn, but then the car would pivot around the staionary wheel. Better than nothing I suppose.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wildfortune

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Tri-motor C/T to replace my Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired to a Hobby Farm
Country flag
The yoke steering will benefit from 4 wheel steering. For the same front-wheel steering angle input, the CT will turn quicker with the addition of opposite rear steering inputs. This makes wrestling the yoke less of a chore. I used to drive military tugs with selectable 4-wheel steering to tow aircraft. They were amazing with all the configurations I could choose.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck: The Ford F-150 Lightning killer. The GMC EV Hummer Killer. The Rivian Killer.
I see a new series for Marvel to run with. Sign me up for the first installment in the series, I'll wrap it in plastic and put it in the vault.

Dave Miller

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
Hardscape contractor and property management
Country flag
No, they're not. They're ways to nickel and dime the customer.

I just need the price not to climb. But I would totally use the heck out of crab-walking if I had it. Ultimate parking accessory, if you think about it. Where I live I'm always squeezing into tight spaces, and anything to make the truck 'act' smaller, I would use the heck out of.

-Crissa
My big concern would be tire wear, although this would probably cause less wear than torque vector. New tires for this thing probably won't be cheap.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I can do a "tank turn" on my 1950 Farmall C using the left or right brake. Brake one drive wheel and power with the other. Turns on a dime. Maybe CT can brake with one (the non-drive wheel) rear wheel and power around with the others?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That is probably how Tesla is thinking; tax incentive is their money to do whatever they want with it. Granted with current demand for their products, that is effectively what will happen but “My” tax incentive goes to do what it was meant to; “reduce” the price of an EV for me so that it is “more affordable”. If Tesla increases their prices to add my tax incentive money to their profit margin, the sale will go somewhere else no matter how much I like CT. If they bump up CT2 by $10K and keep the CT1 price the same, I may drop down a trim.

You made me realize the rear steering was most likely decided before IDRA got the order for casting machine so Elon had a lot of time to share this. He is just having fun with us. You know how you like watching your fish going nuts when you feed them after they starve for a while? This site is like a pond full of starving fish. We must be providing a lot of entertainment.

in bed full-size spare is my favorite part of R1T.

If the rear wheel is drive by wire, you may have to get on your computer and look at the code to see how it works and hope that a bug in the code does not decide to make a U turn in the middle of highway.
yea, well he needs to clean the fish bowl for all the crap he been feeding us and give us some real food (news)

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
I flew to Colorado to buy Quaddie just for the Quadrasteer and I will probably fly to Texas to pick up my Cybertruck. Life is good.
Good luck with that. Not being able to sell in TX has put a quash on any Texas deliveries which just boggles the mind.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Elon just confirmed the Cybertruck will be almost exactly what was shown. They are adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns and maneuver with high agility.
He added; "lots of other great things coming".

Might this improve tire life?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tesla use a modular approach to RWS like they use on the front and rear electric motors. They both use the exact same transmission case and gears. The video shows just how few moving parts are in a Tesla one speed transmission using a simple wooden mock-up.

I can see Tesla using the same engineering approach for the front and rear steering components. For example, the same electric steering rack front/rear will cut costs and help Tesla achieve economies of scale.

I will be interested to see if Tesla decides to use a steer-by-wire system on the Cybertruck. The Infiniti Q50 is the only production car in the US that currently uses it.

Tesla Cybertruck Rear Wheel Steering AF8EDFA8-15E0-4F6B-96C1-A1311723EEB5

Last edited:

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Tighter turning radius will make the CT so much easier to park. Our parking is designed for small cars, making a truck difficult at times. Hopefully drive by wire is implemented so we get variable power steering. Can’t wait!!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
My cautious concern is the design will be robust enough to not become a headache. I am optimistic in the feature but always feel more confident after seeing the design.

looking forward to tighter turns even though I always park far Away.

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Tighter turning radius will make the CT so much easier to park. Our parking is designed for small cars, making a truck difficult at times. Hopefully drive by wire is implemented so we get variable power steering. Can’t wait!!
I 100% expected the new model S to have variable electric power steering. It might even have it just not activated yet because this is definitely what the yoke is for in actuality. I will bet a lot of money on the truck having variable steering at least if not at first than 2 years down the line.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I 100% expected the new model S to have variable electric power steering. It might even have it just not activated yet because this is definitely what the yoke is for in actuality. I will bet a lot of money on the truck having variable steering at least if not at first than 2 years down the line.
Totally agree with you.
Sponsored