ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Raise your hand if you would like to see an insulated & refrigerated (or cooled) frunk. It would be quite easy to implement, the AC unit is nearby. Without cooling, the Frunk could get to BBQ level temperatures, esp when truck is stationary. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
Raise your hand if you would like to see an insulated & refrigerated (or cooled) frunk. It would be quite easy to implement, the AC unit is nearby. Without cooling, the Frunk could get to BBQ level temperatures, esp when truck is stationary. :)
If I may add, a stainless steel mirror has a reflectivity factor of 60%. So Cybertruck will be 40-50% reflectivity. Under direct sunlight, the frunk will get around 500 watts of heat.

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
Refrigerated frunk has come up a few times in threads over the years. It would be a perfect place to store all food. Throw in an ice chest for those items you want even colder. The cooler the funk, the longer the ice lasts.

It is on my top two list, the other being fold-flat front seats to allow for sleeping in the cabin.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Refrigerated Cybertruck is Cybercold “on tap”<FAV> liquid(beer, wine and milk). Kegs pumped to a tap. Tesla would auto-lock Cybertruck to tap.

Onboard espresso is Cyberhot innovation.

900v heats 1cup how fast? Steam? Hot shower continuous 85°F? Whole apparatus inside exoskeleton safe beyond pass. compartment.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I am having trouble counting the raised hands… love the idea of a refrigerated frunk though, that goes a step better than a drain plug.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Refrigerated Cybertruck is Cybercold “on tap”<FAV> liquid(beer, wine and milk). Kegs pumped to a tap. Tesla would auto-lock Cybertruck to tap.

Onboard espresso is Cyberhot innovation.

900v heats 1cup how fast? Steam? Hot shower continuous 85°F? Whole apparatus inside exoskeleton safe beyond pass. compartment.
We can use people like you at Tesla. Ever think of applying?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
If the frunk gets as hot as a barbecue, add a smoker option
So things come full circle to where we have an EV with working operational smoke stack like external combustion steam powered car but smoked BBQ dinner is ready when you arrive home!

Will there also be wood flavor/aroma options of apple, hickory, mesquite ??

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
My Landcruiser and Van have built in internal fridges. I wouldn't know what to do without them and it would have cost me thousands in spoilt groceries if I didn't.

Must be one of the top 5 useful things to have in a car...but definitely discussed a fair bit on threads around here.

It should be fairly trivial to do a refrigerated compartment in the CT, just need a temperature sensor, and a heat exchanger and fan in the frunk connected to the cold side of the HVAC, and a bit of thermal insulation around the frunk. Now if the frunk is 3-400l, then it might be useful to have a separate compartment instead of the whole trunk, like a drawer that stows out of the way under that huge dash. Ideally one that opens to the cabin as well would be good.

A freezer would probably be a bit harder but should also work. Then you just need a power point in the front for a induction cooker, and a small water tank with pump, and you'd have a frunk kitchen.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'd love that.. but would prefer it to be a removable accessory, only for when you need it. 95% of the time I wouldn't need it, but for that rare occasion sure it's great!
Amen to that. There are 12V compressors that are quite efficient. Refrigerators/freezers that use them are made in several sizes by at least a couple of manufacturers (Domtec, ARB...). A frunk sized drop in might draw 40W when the compressor is running and take 20 - 30 Wh/hr on typical duty cycle under nominal conditions.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Amen to that. There are 12V compressors that are quite efficient. Refrigerators/freezers that use them are made in several sizes by at least a couple of manufacturers (Domtec, ARB...). A frunk sized drop in might draw 40W when the compressor is running and take 20 - 30 Wh/hr on typical duty cycle under nominal conditions.
But wouldn't you want the compressor to be able to pump the heat outside of the frunk? What do you do about heat build up in the frunk? There's really not much to having a part of the frunk permanently insulated, and either ducting A/C to it, or better have a separate heat exchanger in it. You don't have to turn it on, and the heat exchanger and integrated box is lighter than a removable one with separate compressor.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
But wouldn't you want the compressor to be able to pump the heat outside of the frunk?
Yes. From a purely refrigeration standpoint the ideal would be an insulated box with coils (and EXV) that got liquid 1234yf (I guess it will be) from and sent vapor to the vehicle compressor. But obviously this adds cost and complexity to and increases the probability of failure in the vehicle heating/cooling system. The main thing is that I don't need any refrigeration in the frunk or anywhere else for 98% of the miles I drive. It's nice to have it on board for the 2% where I do but most of the time it just takes up space that is better used for something else. Plus when I do want it I want it in the cabin so I can pull out drinks and snacks whilst on the road.

I'd guess that most drivers would have requirements more or less like mine and that Tesla would not, therefore, use an integrated approach like the one I laid out above.

What do you do about heat build up in the frunk?
What I won't do is worry much about it. The average load for a decent sized ARB appears to be about 20 - 30W. The frunk is a pretty large space open at the top to the space under the hood (bonnet).

There's really not much to having a part of the frunk permanently insulated, and either ducting A/C to it, or better have a separate heat exchanger in it.
Automobile manufacturers will do anything to simplify their designs and won't do anything to add complexity, even a wee bit, unless they see increased sales coming out of it. I'm guessing, and it is, of course, only a guess, that not enough of the target demographic would want this to convince Tesla to add it.

You don't have to turn it on, and the heat exchanger and integrated box is lighter than a removable one with separate compressor.
The compressor doesn't weigh much relative to the weight of food/drinks in it and, most important, the drop in solution isn't in the truck most of the time. OTOH in the integrated solution all the components are including the extra weight of the larger compressor and condenser required to support the extra cooling load.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about the frunk getting to "BBQ level temperatures". I use the frunk on my Model 3 Performance as a cooler. I've lined it with 3/16" thick Reflectix bubble foam insulation (one layer) cut to fit the frunk and a flap of the same material as a lid.

I have a soft cooler that takes up three-quarters of the lined frunk and the extra one-quarter of the frunk space stays cool enough for vegetables because the coolness from the soft cooler permeates the entire frunk. My ice packs inside the soft cooler last over two days on a summer road trip and so does the coolness of the remaining space in the frunk.

The frunk is a MUCH cooler place naturally than the cabin and I always put my groceries directly into the lined frunk (often without the soft cooler) to get them home from the market (including any ice cream or frozen food). My Model 3 is white in color so probably comparably reflective to the Cybertruck's hood.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about the frunk getting to "BBQ level temperatures".
I'd defer offering that opinion until we see the design. The new Rivian owners have found that the condenser fan blows right over the frunk tub so that in cooling season the frunk does get, if not to BBQ level temperature, quite warm.
Sponsored