First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I unfortunately don't see sail in the pics

Can't be just cut 3 mm , there would have to be something on the edges. Even it the steel was doubled over… we would notice it in the pic. I'm sure
The edges could be beveled where the two pieces meet, so the seam would be hard to notice without a good close up shot

Here is a great hq video of the prototype....the seam for the sail is there but hard to see when further away...so definitely the beta has it.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
3mm edge all around out of stainless steel

Bound to cut a head. A practical mod would be desired. IMO
It IS an apocalypse vehicle ya know... Cutting heads might be a desired feature.

Lekrow

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid CyberTruck
Country flag
I don't know, the current Texas prototype sure doesn't seem to have a break there (that doesn't mean other prototypes didn't have it). This is the best still I could get from the Youtube video.

1643125164019.png
I agree with you, This version doesn't have any separations on the top seam or the bottom seam of the sail which make it highly unlikely that sails are present on this version. However we also haven't seen the tonneau cover closed either so it might not be feature complete?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The hinge is inside the door opening from the top like they showed at the reveal. Probably no latch like you see on gas cover doors. And it senses your key to unlock. Then you push in to release the latch. It's very hard to see the bottom of the sail door, which "should" be where the angle is.

Edit, here's a frame grab that shows the bottom of the sail storage door. It takes a HD video to see it.

sailbottom.jpg
Someone mentioned that this screen grab shows door handles and I see them - so back to the drawing board?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Someone mentioned that this screen grab shows door handles and I see them - so back to the drawing board?
It says on the image, "Petersen museum". I''m sorry if it was confusing.
There isn't anything with good clarity of this latest CT. Earlier in this thread, there were implications that there had never been a sail storage door. This image proves there was.
Tesla said there would be one, I can't imagine them taking that away. Plus you can see the gap above the rear door.

Time will tell.

NKSplitter

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Country flag
Tesla said there would be one, I can't imagine them taking that away.
I'm kind of the opposite prospective on this. The side sail storage is one of the features that has been least talked about by Tesla and never shown save for that one image of the sail open.

I'm betting whether or not the feature makes the cut will come down to one thing: Whether from a manufacturing perspective it's quicker to have the hind panel be one solid piece with a score and fold where the sale starts; or if it quicker or creates less panel defects to install as separate panels.

If having the sail storage slows production down at all, even to just the tune of a few fewer trucks manufactured per day; I would bet on it not making the cut.

Tesla knows it has over a million pre-orders that now have an increasing number of viable options to defect to. I have to imagine they are going to want to ramp up production fast. And given the history Tesla has had with panel gaps and alignment issues; there may also be the fear of squeaky sail storage hinges or the sail door binding leading to a glut of service center calls when service centers are already booked past capacity(which I believe they are working on in the form of new service centers; but that obviously doesn't happen overnight).

I hate being pessimistic on this, because it would be a cool feature to have; but I just wonder if the risk is too big compared to the potential reward for Tesla on this feature.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Probably got removed. Or maybe its inside the bed space now? Oh well.. not a deal breaker.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm kind of the opposite prospective on this. The side sail storage is one of the features that has been least talked about by Tesla and never shown save for that one image of the sail open.

I'm betting whether or not the feature makes the cut will come down to one thing: Whether from a manufacturing perspective it's quicker to have the hind panel be one solid piece with a score and fold where the sale starts; or if it quicker or creates less panel defects to install as separate panels.

If having the sail storage slows production down at all, even to just the tune of a few fewer trucks manufactured per day; I would bet on it not making the cut.

Tesla knows it has over a million pre-orders that now have an increasing number of viable options to defect to. I have to imagine they are going to want to ramp up production fast. And given the history Tesla has had with panel gaps and alignment issues; there may also be the fear of squeaky sail storage hinges or the sail door binding leading to a glut of service center calls when service centers are already booked past capacity(which I believe they are working on in the form of new service centers; but that obviously doesn't happen overnight).

I hate being pessimistic on this, because it would be a cool feature to have; but I just wonder if the risk is too big compared to the potential reward for Tesla on this feature.
OK

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag

I think Tesla is in a better position as a whole company now and can take their time with this truck. Before in 2017 it was we need to make as many cars as possible or else we die. They are now a profitable company with cash reserves...no need to rush anything. Two huge factories are about to come online and still they don't need to rush, I'm sure they're learning about QC is as important to making cars as to also making them fast, but certainly not needing to make 200k units this year. Recalls are very expensive and constrain resources on the service side. We will see tmr but I think those side sails are present given other competitors have extra storage.

Lekrow

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid CyberTruck
Country flag
I do hope some variation of the sails make it too production. I was planning on installing HD Video RF receivers for my UAV's there.

If they are gone my second best bet is mounting them to the gate and just dropping it when needed, but that will interfere with a lot of other use cases....

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I unfortunately don't see sail in the pics

Can't be just cut 3 mm , there would have to be something on the edges. Even it the steel was doubled over… we would notice it in the pic. I'm sure
3mm is approximately the same thickness as the tube wall thickness I used to build the roll cage in my Jeep. Its thick enough to round the edges. However its more than likely not that thick since it isn't structural and would have folded edges.