msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
Any takers on how a winch will come into play. At this point we'd need a portable winch with its own battery. I have used these before with jumper packs. It's not easy or effective in most situations.
Sponsored

BChiesa

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 & Y & CT AWD
Occupation
Banker
Country flag
No clue, but an early video showed an unused and unconnected wire harness in the frunk. That might be the means through which a wench could be installed and operated from the main screen.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Any takers on how a winch will come into play. At this point we'd need a portable winch with its own battery. I have used these before with jumper packs. It's not easy or effective in most situations.
With the amount of power they draw, if someone made one the truck could push it on 240VAC. But that's gonna need a hell of a transformer.

No clue, but an early video showed an unused and unconnected wire harness in the frunk. That might be the means through which a wench could be installed and operated from the main screen.
The 400w limited 48V connection cannot run a 5.6kW winch (Warn Zeon 10s Platinum used as reference). All existing offroad winches basically require very high current at 12V, which is not a hookup that the cybertruck has.

Haopec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100d, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Bummer to have to put a 12v battery In a 48v system to power a winch..
Tesla Cybertruck So... About that winch.... icegif-876

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Bummer to have to put a 12v battery In a 48v system to power a winch..
icegif-876.gif
You're not making any sense when you talk about using a 12V winch on a vehicle that has a 48 volt electrical system. That would be more than a bummer, it would just be plain dumb!

Obviously, a 48 volt winch will be far superior to a 12 volt winch.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Obviously, a 48 volt winch will be far superior to a 12 volt winch.
The 48V would need to be ~ 12x as powerful as it is to run a winch. This isn't a cybertruck exclusive issue, EVs in general do not have 500A 12v hookups, which is what you'd need. But it's not just a matter of voltage conversion, the 48V system does not have anywhere near the needed power.

10000lb winch (which, is probably undersized based on my understanding, but even the 12000lb is close in requirements) requires 465A at 12V. The Cybertruck has a 48V system capable of 400w (unclear if this is just from the aux hookup, or the entire 48v system draw).

465A x 12V = 5.58 kW, vs .4kW that the 48V system can supply.

EDIT:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ower-tap-power-feed-specs-48v-and-400w.10940/

Looks like each of the 2 aux hookups is 400w. But still, it's not close to 5580w

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
The first and only I have seen available for order is UP’s front bull bar with an integrated winch option. I think the third photo if you swipe is the first one that shows it. It will be CT/CB specific at a native 48v:

https://unpluggedperformance.com/product/tesla-cybertruck-up-invincible-hd-front-bull-bar/

There is another company from Australia with a relatively new facility in the USA that apparently has had one in development for over a year but it is not yet available. There is a YouTube video somewhere that shows a prototype.

FWIW

Cheers

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The first and only I have seen available for order is UP’s front bull bar with an integrated winch option. I think the third photo if you swipe is the first one that shows it. It will be CT/CB specific at a native 48v:

https://unpluggedperformance.com/product/tesla-cybertruck-up-invincible-hd-front-bull-bar/

There is another company from Australia with a relatively new facility in the USA that apparently has had one in development for over a year but it is not yet available. There is a YouTube video somewhere that shows a prototype.

FWIW

Cheers
I don't see where unplugged said it runs at 48v, do you have a link for that?

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't see where unplugged said it runs at 48v, do you have a link for that?
I asked them. Private email. This was made specifically for CT. All their lights and such are either going to have built in converters or run at a native 48v because the only vehicle this line was designed for was the CT/CB. If you want more specifics you can email them and ask but they aren’t giving out too many details yet.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I asked them. Private email. This was made specifically for CT. All their lights and such are either going to have built in converters or run at a native 48v because the only vehicle this line was designed for was the CT/CB. If you want more specifics you can email them and ask but they aren’t giving out too many details yet.
I understand it's going to be made specifically for CT, but the only user tappable system on the truck capable of 5.6kW is the 240v plug in the bed. Lights can run 48v no problem, but the aux 48v taps are not going to run a winch.

I'm gonna watch this teardown video again and see if there's some unsuspecting plug somewhere that only unplugged has info on, but it's unlikely.

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand it's going to be made specifically for CT, but the only user tappable system on the truck capable of 5.6kW is the 240v plug in the bed. Lights can run 48v no problem, but the aux 48v taps are not going to run a winch.

I'm gonna watch this teardown video again and see if there's some unsuspecting plug somewhere that only unplugged has info on, but it's unlikely.
I think you know more about electrical circuits and the CT design specifics than I do so it might be worth having someone like you ask them directly because you know what to ask. My questions were more generic about if this was all made for the 48v architecture (including the winch) and they said yes but I didn’t ask them where exactly in the truck they are tapping to get the power. I did ask them how the bull bar would not block the frunk opening up because it didn’t look like that would work to me and they said their parts won’t interfere with any of the functioning of the vehicle but wouldn’t give specifics on the design just yet. Maybe with electrical wiring you will have better luck at getting a detailed response.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
It might be useful if off-roading and got stuck, but probably would see limited use. I've installed one before on a 5-seat UTV, and had to add a second 12v battery. The idea of using a small dedicated 12v battery makes sense as I'm not sure what 48v system in the front you could actually tap into that would provide enough amps.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Given how the front and panels are going to be very tough to get a winch on there without it sticking out 3'
I am sure someone will figure it out but it likely won't be a real elegant solution so likely see limited use.

Timelord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Country flag
There are lugs connected to 48v battery in frunk with plenty of power, though I haven't seen documentation of how much. From there you can buy a 48v winch or pick up a 48v to 14v converter with more than enough capacity for under $400.

Given the price and selection of 48v winch, the latter is probably the most practical. It also gives you a heavy 12v system feed for whatever else.

Easy peezy.

I'd be far more interested in winch mounting options that evenly spread the load. Tearing a chunk out of the mega casting with your 10T winch would an expensive oopsie.
Sponsored