Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Gentlemen
I worked on delorean . Me and a EE could not fix the SS grounding problems. Half the deloreans were painted due to dings scuffs and visual metal problems. I own SS frig SS dishwasher SS stove. If you use any chlorinated cleaner it rusts out SS. Road NaCl is going to nuke CT SS body panels.
Oh
I do have a 4 year degree in CerE (to obtain a CerE you have to do a MS or PHD) and I have a 2 year degree A&P.
Even in homes SS appliances are not a good thing but I am able to fix appearance problems with a lot of effort. Talk to any appliance sales people on SS issues.
SS is not a good metal for home or BEV.
Why Post?
If Tesla finds there is a production problem Tesla may change the body. If Tesla changs the CT body I will buy one or get on a list to buy CT
Hopefully Tesla looks at CT posts!
So don't buy it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We have one of these. It's less elegant, but it punches holes in things perfectly. Every kitchen should have one!

-Crissa
Its not the best axe picture... Image search let me down.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
CT a delorean SS body where every electrical ground went bad and dings scratches are terminal that required entire body super expensive hard to do SS paint job.
I will buy but only after owners run the CT for a few years and no electrical ground issues crop up.
Best tests for the CT will be S Florida or the salt belts
In the time I've owned my DeLorean, I've heard my share of false statements, and this is one of them.

On "every electrical ground went bad" :
The truth is that electrical grounds go bad in the same way on a DeLorean as any other car: poor storage, wear, long term exposure to the elements, etc. My DeLorean celebrated its 40th birthday last month. It is highly original, everything works, and all of the ground points are original and unmodified. The difference is that my car was cared for by its original owner before I acquired it.

On "dings and scratches are terminal", I'll point you to my maintenance post here:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/delorean-tips-and-tricks.2714/post-43357

As far as durability against salt is concerned, salt is very corrosive, and any vehicle, whether it be a DeLorean, Cybertruck, or any others would degrade faster in that environment. That's the price one pays for living in such an area. I used to, but I moved.

Last edited:

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Gentlemen
I worked on delorean . Me and a EE could not fix the SS grounding problems. Half the deloreans were painted due to dings scuffs and visual metal problems. I own SS frig SS dishwasher SS stove. If you use any chlorinated cleaner it rusts out SS. Road NaCl is going to nuke CT SS body panels.
Oh
I do have a 4 year degree in CerE (to obtain a CerE you have to do a MS or PHD) and I have a 2 year degree A&P.
Even in homes SS appliances are not a good thing but I am able to fix appearance problems with a lot of effort. Talk to any appliance sales people on SS issues.
SS is not a good metal for home or BEV.
Why Post?
If Tesla finds there is a production problem Tesla may change the body. If Tesla changs the CT body I will buy one or get on a list to buy CT
Hopefully Tesla looks at CT posts!
It is 2021. As far as DeLorean are concerned, there are DMC certified shops around the US that repair both electrical issues and body repair. No painting required to cover up damage. I'm sure that Tesla will develop repair and maintenance processes for Cybertruck at their service centers.

Not to diss your qualifications, but during my high level restoration, I had a local paintless dent repair company remove a small dent in my DeLorean for $50, I removed scratches myself with a $5 blending pad, and I was able to resolve the few electrical faults on this beloved 40 year old orphan car myself with just my mechanical inclination, basic tools, parts, and a Google search. As stated earlier, none of these were grounding issues.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Even in homes SS appliances are not a good thing but I am able to fix appearance problems with a lot of effort.
SS is not a good metal for home...
I have stainless refrigerator, stove top and ovens in the house. In my brewery I have stainless fermenters, kettles, plumbing, chillers, exhaust hood, valves, pump involutes, sinks and tables. I have no idea what you are talking about as I have never had any problems with any of these devices/appliances. Can you illuminate?

[EDIT]Just remembered that getting beerstone (calcium oxalate in a protein matrix) off it was a bitch but that's a problem with beerstone, not the substrate it settles on.

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I have stainless refrigerator, stove top and ovens in the house. In my brewery I have stainless fermenters, kettles, plumbing, chillers, exhaust hood, valves, pump involutes, sinks and tables. I have no idea what you are talking about as I have never had any problems with any of these devices/appliances. Can you illuminate?

[EDIT]Just remembered that getting beerstone (calcium oxalate in a protein matrix) off it was a bitch but that's a problem with beerstone, not the substrate it settles on.
I run a winery, SS fermenters are the way to go. Just spray 'em down with liquid ozone each season and you're good to go. You don't have to cook wine though! So I haven't had that problem.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I am not a ChemE but I am a ChemE.
Huh?

I took 1 year ChemE classes and I have the 2yrs full organic full inorganic Spectrocy Pchem (honors) analytical chem and I work in a chem lab and tutored chemistry. I like chemistry but there is no money in chem. NaCl and Cl well there is no free chlorine its a yellow orange gas (used in WW1) and as toxic as toxic can get. Cl atom on a chain is call chlorinated. NaCl is not a polimer chain but you could call it chlorinated and simple water molecules breaks the Na Cl atoms apart
With all that background you should understand that chlorine gas reacts with water to produce hydrochloric and hypochlorous acids;

Cl2 + H2O --> 2H+ + Cl- + OCl-

and that if the mix is neutralized with, for example, lye

2Na+ +2OH- + 2H+ + Cl- + OCL- --> Na + + Cl- + 2Na+ + OCl- + 2H20

IOW salt (NaCl) and bleach (NaOCl).

The problem with austenitic stainless is that it, if under tensile stress, eventually cracks in the presence of high (and it doesn't have to be very high) chloride ion concentrations. With a car the problems are calcium chloride thrown on the roads, bleach containing cleansers and, if you live by the sea, airborne salt crystals. The calcium chloride obviously dissociates in water to release chloride ion. Bleach works by oxidizing something and this releases chloride ion. As an example consider ethanol being oxidized to acetic acid:

CH3CH2OH + 2Na+ + 2OCl- --> CH3COO- + H+ + H2O + 2Cl- + 2Na+

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
If it were me. I would do light weight plastic body panels. Dent or crack is a heat gun and some glue fix. Maybe short fiber reinforce plastic panels like motorcycles have and like most ICE bumpers. Cheep Easy Repaired Light weight recyclable plastic body panels and bumpers. SS is for rockets, spoons, forks, pots, and pans not CT or BEV.
Whatevs. Go get a Rivian then, or a Lightning. Glad you're not head of production at Tesla. SS is for Cybertruck.
Sponsored