Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I expect a 350 mile CT to be able to achieve pretty close to 350mi in real world conditions. Does anyone have reason to believe that a first ever Chevy/GMC EV pickup will attain 450 miles just because their promotional materials say so? (I mean, I know GM is America's EV Leader, but C'mon, Man!)
I do believe the ā€˜out of spec reviewsā€™ reviews and if they say the Silverado WT is getting 450 then
Okay. But even if that is an actual range, they are doing it with a 200kWh battery. (I do get that if Tesla gets 350 miles off a 120kWh battery, the vocal minority will say, "wElL tHeN tEsLa ShOuLd UsE biGgEr bAtTeRiEs!)"
But I like churning out high volume trucks with a more efficient Mile/kWh and a smaller battery vs the competition throwing giant batteries into limited production trucks and saying, "we have very few to sell, but our initial configuration does more miles than Cyber Truck does." If this ever devolves into a big battery swinging contest, Tesla will eventually throw a 200kWh battery into the CT and all the More Range folks will go silent.
so you really believe that Tesla cannot get 500 miles on less than what GM can? If so you are in the wrong forum. I would bet that Tesla can do 20%-25% better than GM, and that would bring the battery down to 150-175 KWH. I am not a battery expert but I have heard that size bandied about many times here.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla can not fully control that.

If GM, Lucid, Rivian decide to lose $40K-$100K on each vehicle trim Tesla should let them.

They ( GM, Lucid, Rivian ) can only do that for a short time before reality catches up to them and not only did they lose all that money but they will be even further behind a extremely profitable and accelerating in growth Tesla.
Perhaps I shouldnā€™t have mixed two concepts together since you took off on the wrong one. I believe that Tesla can beat the Silverado range and make money. It is unfortunate that the others cannot.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I do believe the ā€˜out of spec reviewsā€™ reviews and if they say the Silverado WT is getting 450 then

so you really believe that Tesla cannot get 500 miles on less than what GM can? If so you are in the wrong forum. I would bet that Tesla can do 20%-25% better than GM, and that would bring the battery down to 150-175 KWH. I am not a battery expert but I have heard that size bandied about many times here.
Itā€™s not a question of how much range Tesla can stuff into each truck. Itā€™s. Question of how many trucks can they get out the door.

If shipping the 500 mile truck will slow down deliveries, it makes more sense for them to ship the 350 mile range trucks. Teslas goal is volume first and foremost. Shipping 3 350 mile trucks is likely to be more profitable and obviously more volume than shipping 2 500 mile range trucks.

Tesla can and will ship 500 mile range trucks. Likely within the first year as 4680 volume picks up. Itā€™s just a question of whether they are the first trucks out the door or not.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Lucid is likely not solvent by year end. They are about as big a loser as you can get.
You are right but I didnā€™t bring up Lucid because the comparison of CT range was made against the Silverado. I tried to steer back and Lucid, Porsche, and Ford were thrown in (to obfuscate?)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Itā€™s not a question of how much range Tesla can stuff into each truck. Itā€™s. Question of how many trucks can they get out the door.

If shipping the 500 mile truck will slow down deliveries, it makes more sense for them to ship the 350 mile range trucks. Teslas goal is volume first and foremost. Shipping 3 350 mile trucks is likely to be more profitable and obviously more volume than shipping 2 500 mile range trucks.

Tesla can and will ship 500 mile range trucks. Likely within the first year as 4680 volume picks up. Itā€™s just a question of whether they are the first trucks out the door or not.
That is not the point I was trying to make (and, in fact, I was agreeing with someone else). I have no idea what trim will be first. I happen to ā€˜thinkā€™ it should be their highest trim, and for reasons we have all been over ad infinitum, and I do not know what kinds of production constraints Tesla will have. I just believe that they can beat the Silverado WT range because they are a better VEV maker, and that they can make money doing it. They ā€˜mayā€™ also be able to do it at volume once they ramp. We know that ramp will be slow, and tmTesla has said many times, publicly, that battery supply would not be an issue for CT production.

WormtownKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2013 F150
Occupation
Outside Sales
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
I think you really need to read what I said, for context this time. You are arguing exactly what I am saying. Tesla's Mile/kWh is going to be significantly better than GM, Ford, and any other legacy company that deigns to actually produce a truck in 2026 or 2028 or whenever. I said GM needed a huge 200(+?)kWh battery to attain an alleged 450 miles. If Tesla threw 200kWh batteries into the CT it would probably get about 600 miles of range.
So, IF Tesla starts with a 350 mile version, the media will be screaming "450mi> 350mi. Tesla sux." And it will be an out of context nothing burger that anyone serious about buying a premium EV will ignore.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Weā€™ll see what happens. Hopefully by the time my number comes up they will have the trim I reserved.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I would wait for the one with a longer range if that rumor is true. It is really hard to align battery improvement and production ramp-up with CT long-range ramp-up.
I have 2 on order. I'm getting what ever comes out. If it's the one I want great. If not, I can try again when the right one comes out and sell current

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When the battery cathode plant is up and running and Tesla can get a higher energy 4680 reliably produced we will see the 500 mile truck. Itā€™s not an if itā€™s when. They arenā€™t going to change the design to cram a bunch of batteries in to get the range. I hope we see a 500 mile range truck next year.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
And their WT ā€˜isā€™ their lowest trim. The RST is the near equivalent to the 3M CT and was initially quoted at $106K.
weird way to think about it

the WT has been explicitly described as the highest available work truck trim. It is a fleet only vehicle, not available to the gen pub/retail sales. and of Chevyā€™s fleet lineup, the one theyā€™ve released so far is the highest fleet trim. Thatā€™s *why* it has, eg, 450mi range.

Meanwhile, in non-fleet /retail lineup, the only one theyā€™ve released (info on) is *its* highest retail trim - the RST

Insofar as these are different divisions of the company and distinct lines of models, saying the 4WT is the lowest trim seems like saying the most expensive Volkswagen is the least expensive Bentley

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You are right but I didnā€™t bring up Lucid because the comparison of CT range was made against the Silverado. I tried to steer back and Lucid, Porsche, and Ford were thrown in (to obfuscate?)
Weā€™ll see what happens. Hopefully by the time my number comes up they will have the trim I reserved.
I thought this was in response to the person who posted that 350 miles was starting config.

I hope by the time they ship yours they have the 500 mile range truck out too! I think good chance unless you are in the first 6 months.

WenssCT88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I really need ~200 miles of range towing a 30' Airstream. I'm trying to be reasonable on my actual range results, figuring on only getting 35-40% of the stated range while towing a travel trailer so the 500 mile promise put my mind at ease. 500 rated means 420-440 in real world conditions with normal payload and at least 200 miles towing 9,000ish lbs.

350 may be a deal breaker for me. 150 miles towing worst case scenario would be acceptable and what I've set my limit at. 420 rated is what I kind of figured would be what the actual Tri-Motor would be at release, and fit my expectations. If I can't tow my RV farther than 130 miles from a SuperCharger before I park to camp a few days at a NEMA 14-50, there'll be a lot of countryside beyond my range. šŸ˜¬

Crossing my fingers and hoping the first batch is >400 miles. I retired July 1 and anxious to hit the road. I don't want to have to wait until 2025*

*I reserved during the reveal presentation (RN112754980). Ought to be a fairly early customer
Completely agree. Our X LR+ is rated at over 350 miles range, but can barely do 80-90 miles at interstate speeds with our large pontoon in tow unless I can tuck in behind a semi or RV. X averages 1.2kwh/mi at 65mph due to the horrific aerodynamics of the boat. Interstate traffic usually flowing 75-80mph so feels unsafe to go anything much under 65. NEED 500 mile cybertruck!!!
Sponsored