The Exoskeleton design is brilliant

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The Exoskeleton construction concept is brilliant. The body is the most fascinating part of the truck to me. My guess is that Tesla will use robotic TIG welders to manufacture the unique 30x SS monocoque exoskeleton of the Cybertruck.

I have a strong suspicion that the Cybertruck will be a nightmare for the auto insurance companies. I see a lot a ā€œtotal lossā€ statements by insurance adjusters after a minor collision due to expensive repairs. My bet is that CT auto insurance rates will be higher than average.

ā€œWe moved the mass to the outside. Weā€™ve created an exoskeleton. The way that trucks are normally designed, you have a body-on-frame, a bed-on-frame. And the body and the bed donā€™t do anything useful. They are carried like cargo, like a sack of potatoes. It was the way that aircraft used to be designed when we had biplanes, basically. The key to creating an effective monoplane was a stressed-skin design. You move the stress to the outside skin. Allows you to do things you canā€™t do with body-on-frame.ā€

Tesla Cybertruck The Exoskeleton design is brilliant C8D97899-C826-41B6-BDDB-D3E5D0753BBB
Sponsored

Last edited:

WFrazier

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Wonderful topic, I was thinking that without the thick frame sitting under the passengers there wll be more room for batteries.

Also, what will the motors and other mechanicals sit on? Normally they would be mounted to a frame.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Wonderful topic, I was thinking that without the thick frame sitting under the passengers there wll be more room for batteries.

Also, what will the motors and other mechanicals sit on? Normally they would be mounted to a frame.
Mega casting.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

If you look at the demo video from battery day you see the front and rear castings bolted to the structural battery pack. The drivetrain, seats, etc are then bolted to that. There will certainly be an ā€˜interiorā€™ to the exoskeleton, for the bed and the firewall if not the entire cabin cell. That will probably be spot welded to the exoskeleton. All in all a fairly straightforward assembly.
Sponsored