Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
what I really don’t like about this hitch for towing is the flap for the 7 pin opening down vs up. Some tech thats probably never towed simply installed it wrong but id hope that would immediately stand out to someone that should be in charge of hitches.
Was that a tech who can't read?!? It was installed with all the writing on the connector upside down. 😳

I think there's a Pollak joke in there somewhere. 😆

https://www.pollakaftermarket.com/e...-and-adapters/sockets/7-pole-rv-style-sockets
Sponsored

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
i keep thinking they are going to have a hitch mount wench.. IOW the wench will plug directly into the trailer hitch and use the 48 v plug... however that is JUST a guess.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I see the 7pin but i don't see the 4 pin i need for my utility trailer
Tons of adapters for 7 to 4 pin available if you look.
I hope Tesla offers the newer EZ Connector as an option. Great design, much better than traditional 7 pin connectors.
Paul

JollyRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini-Cooper S Cab
Country flag
i keep thinking they are going to have a hitch mount wench.
I keep thinking how I would mount my wench.

I imagine the winch is frunk or bed mounted. Frunk mount would have some passthrough to operate with hood closed.

Last edited:

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
ideally rear mount would just mount in the hitch mount.. instead of a ball slide in the winch .. in the front perhaps a mount that screws into a covered port like the tow hook part on a model Y.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If they make a removable cover similar to the MY it will be a fail. For the MY you need a special plastic pry tool to remove the hitch cover and its a huge pain the rear. I hope they make CT much more user friendly Ideally it would hinge open and not have to be stowed somewhere.

Jimf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Y awd lr "Curiosity", 2018 3 awd lr "sunrun"
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
a real offroad vehicle has two tow hooks front and rear because of the geometry required for recoveries. You can get by with one but its much harder on both vehicles doing so and can exacerbate some problems.
For sure!!!!
TWO tow hook points outboard in front, and also in rear.
Plus the 2 inch tow receiver in the rear with it's two safety chain points.
These all need to be very strong.
All five could be 2 inch receivers, and the user could install winches, tow hooks of any kind, or even a plow or pusher bars or whatever.
2 inch receivers could be recessed with simple snap in covers, easily removed without tools and unbreakable and unloseable.
PLEASE not the flimsy crap snap fasteners of the model y hitch cover!!!
This should not be an afterthought on a serious truck.
Elon promises the CT will exceed expectations.
Hopefully the accessory team have real all weather working truck experience and will be sure this beast is... A real work beast.

PS
Don't make the receivers too tight!
Need slop for a true 2 inch square hitch mount slip fit.

Deleted member 12457

I gave up on putting the hitch in and out, I just leave mine on all the time. I use a lockable pin that uses a tightening nut so it doesn't bounce around. As for the covering, I doubt I would ever put it back on. I'm not planning on off-roading other than when camping. I have a 2" hitch for my small trailer so I'll need to buy a larger receiver which aren't cheap. Yes, I know nothing is cheap but $350 for a receiver hitch with a 4" rise/drop is more than I expected (etrailer has them for over $1000). A 2" ball only allows a 7500 lb load so I can see why Tesla will be using a larger hitch.
Sponsored