Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
TLDR With a medium weight and pretty aerodynamic load the AWD CT can tow for 115 miles if using 100% of the battery pack. Or if using 75% of the battery pack which is typical about 87 miles of towing range.
This is in line with the reports of the CT having about 200 miles of real world range, when not towing.

Third towing test that we know of, this one is the best by far for determining CT towing range.

*A couple edits and minor info additions*

AWD CT with Factory Tires
Temperature 61 f (no rain, sunny, very little wind)
Round trip of 111 miles - round trip eliminates wind/elevation impacts for the most part
Fan only for HVAC
Towing Tesla and Trailer (approximately 6,000 lbs)
Started trip with vehicle at Tesla V3 supercharger at 100% SOC
Ended trip at same supercharger at 3% SOC
The recharge to full took about two hours (battery was not preconditioned)

TLDR
CT AWD Towing real world range with good conditions is about 90 miles.
In line with real world CT range of about 200 miles.
I have no idea why people even thing about publishing charging to 100% numbers. Even worse someone charging at a Supercharger to 100%

So this means that I'd have no problems towing that load from Atlanta to Miami.
Sponsored

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I wish I could tag Jim Farley. FWIW it appears to be a model Y

Hereā€™s where we remind about the paradoxical effects of towing using an aerodynamic vehicle
  • The CT arrives at a headline range similar to the F150 Lightning ER, despite the CT having a pack size ~8kWh smaller, in part in virtue of the CT being more aerodynamic
  • the less aerodynamic F150 busts up the air before it hits the trailer, thereby minimizing the aerodynamic impact of the trailer
  • the more aerodynamic CT busts up less of the air before it hits the same trailer, causing the CT to realize more of the added drag of the trailer
  • on top of all that, there is a packaging difference between the CT and F150 that will also negatively effect the CT towing range compared to the Lightning - in that the CT is materially shorter, which means an identical trailer load will stick up higher into the airstream than a Lightning (which will have more of the trailer ā€˜tucked inā€™ behind it)
Thatā€™s why itā€™s been expected that the CT, being significantly more aerodynamic that the Lightning, would with the identical trailer experience a greater hit to towing range than a Lightning.

This is the point in the post where someone says ā€œwe canā€™t say what Lightning would do in identical circumstances.ā€ Depending on what one means by ā€œidentical,ā€ I suppose we canā€™t, strictly speaking.

But here we have some very detail-oriented testers using a Lighting to also conduct a towing test using a car hauler with a Tesla on back.

They towed a Model 3, on apparently a larger/heavier trailer (combined towing weight of 7K lb), and did both blended city/hwy and full hwy tests, both with and without the trailer, and these are their results:

1705199998977.jpeg

In the highway test most comparable to the CT in this thread, the EV-Pulse guys got out of the Lightning ER 1.4mi/kWh and 183mi, compared to the CTā€™s 115mi.

This comparison in terms of headline starting range is pretty uniquely paired, in that the AWD FS has a headline range of 318mi while the Lightning ER Lariat has a nearly identical headline of 320mi.

Now, the tests also have some important differences. The test in the OP post was conducted at 61Ā° while the Lightning test was conducted at 90Ā° - and that 29Ā° temp differential will have a non-trivial impact on the lower range shown by the CT.

IMG_8160.jpeg

And, while the Lightning load is purportedly heavier by ~1,000lbs compared to the OP test, aero of the trailer package is by far the major factor in drag. And, the EV-Pulse guys were pulling a hauler with a model 3, while the OP test appears to be the same hauler but with a model X?

At which point I express some uncertainty about the weight of the trailer in the OP test. The heaviest model 3 is 4000lb while the lightest Model X is 5,100lb. If that is an identical trailer, Iā€™m not sure yet about the OP to weight (the EV-guys seem pretty fastidious) and sounds like more details are forthcoming.

Regardless, aero is still the predominant variable in drag effects on towing. If that is a Model X, the drag by towing is sure to have been larger by a non-trivial amount in the OP test.

Further working against the CT,

So, working against the CT in this test is
(1) CTā€™s greater aerodynamics compared to the F150L (which is a general ā€˜againstā€™ in terms of expected range generally)​
(2) CTā€™s lower ride height creates further aerodynamic costs when towing compared to the F150L (which is another general ā€˜againstā€™ in terms of expected range generally)​
(3) the CT was towing in 29Ā° cooler temperatures which will have a non-trivial negative impact on towing range (which is a test-specific ā€˜againstā€™ these specific test outcomes) and​
(4) the CT was towing a slightly less aerodynamic Model X (which is a test-specific ā€˜againstā€™ these specific test outcomes)​

Notice that all 4 of these ā€™againstsā€™ cross-amplify one-another. The two inherent ā€˜againstsā€™ (CT being more aerodynamic, and lower to the ground relative to a given trailer), mean that the two test-specific ā€˜againstsā€™ will have an even greater negative impact (the air being colder and the MX being larger, means that the CTā€™s aero/height was working that much more against it).

What that all means, is that the CTā€™s test result of 115mi, and the Lightnings results of 183mi, demonstrates a mixed outcome.

On one hand, the CT test conditions were expected to have a disproportionate impact compared to the Lightning, even if all else was equal.

On the other hand, even if all else was equal, the CT aerodynamics and height would be expected to mean the CT will inherently tow less than a Lightning given identical trailers - and so the range difference isnā€™t merely the difference in test conditions, itā€™s also amplified by the CTā€™s proclivity for being *more* subject to towing range effects of temps etc. the Lightning.

End of the day, the 115mi/CT vs 183mi/L discrepancy is not super surprising even before we know the relative test conditions. We should expect The CT to have a greater impact from towing that a CT given the identical trailer.

At the same time, the difference seen here is not all inherent to the CT vs Lightning, in that 30Ā° is a big temp differential, made all the more impactful by the X (sticking out over the CT) being larger than the M3 (tucked in behind the F150L).

Regardless, the results are the results. Broadly speaking, is the 115mi vs 183mi what one might (at best) expect to get in the CT at 60Ā° vs 90Ā°?

Weā€™ll have to wait and see! Including the details of this test and its conditions (speed, etc.).

But regardless, if you plan to instead tow a load like like this at 60Ā°, in various mixes of conditions, you might in one of them expect to get something like these test results.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Does anyone know what their average or typical speed was? We tow a 5000 lb Airstream with our 2020 X and get 110 miles when we keep it between 55 & 60.
Isnā€™t that the speed limit for towing?

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I have no idea why people even thing about publishing charging to 100% numbers. Even worse someone charging at a Supercharger to 100%

So this means that I'd have no problems towing that load from Atlanta to Miami.
Think it is fairly typical to do range and performance tests starting at 100% and getting as close to zero as possible to get a better average, but in the real world people usually don't charge to 100 or take their battery to 0.
Yea should be good to go getting from ATL to Miami might have to charge a little longer if you are hauling something bigger or heavier but LOTS of SC on that route.
Tesla Cybertruck Towing tested with 6,000lb Tesla and trailer load zimage7148

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does anyone know what their average or typical speed was? We tow a 5000 lb Airstream with our 2020 X and get 110 miles when we keep it between 55 & 60.
Max speed for the trailer was 55 MPH

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am very concenred.

Actually towing an RV is my use-case for pulling the trigger on CT FS.

But my RV is 2,500 lbs. So if I can ger 150 miles, my typical mileage in between campsites wirh one stop, I am good.
Lot less weight, but towing with EVs is tricky a lot of times they are more aerodynamically sensitive than weight sensitive, so hopefully you have a nice teardrop style aero friendly trailer

Strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Holdens, Mach-e, Bronco
Country flag
Don't need an excuse - if you are seriously towing, you most likely are not considering an EV today.
If you think/thought this vehicle was going to be some game changer in EV towing before today - you might be a bit delusional.

The beloved Rivian tows about the same, but because it's an šŸ“ and or by Elon, people have to spew FUD.

Bottom line, it's a lifestyle truck with some utility - just like every other EV "truck"
Believe me their was a lot of pissed off and surprised people on the Rivian forum about 18 months ago. Those that have followed EV Trucks and batteries knew this was coming but had slight hope that Tesla truly had some next level engineering.

Unfortunately we are where the technology currently stands and unless simply taking a boat or camper 50 miles take the Powerstrioke or Cummins.

OP
OP
Gigahorse

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Believe me their was a lot of pissed off and surprised people on the Rivian forum about 18 months ago. Those that have followed EV Trucks and batteries knew this was coming but had slight hope that Tesla truly had some next level engineering.

Unfortunately we are where the technology currently stands and unless simply taking a boat or camper 50 miles take the Powerstrioke or Cummins.
Agree with the EV let down that many experience, but I really think the CT could have been a viable towing candidate if the built in battery pack was another 75kwh larger, giving up vault underbed storage etc and pushing the towing and non-towing range #s closer to the original teaser specs.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
These are the reasons why analysts are anticipating leas than brisk offtake of CTs after the frenzy of early adopters.

They said there are big disappointment on the value proposition of lower range and a substantially higher price.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Think it is fairly typical to do range and performance tests starting at 100% and getting as close to zero as possible to get a better average, but in the real world people usually don't charge to 100 or take their battery to 0.
Yea should be good to go getting from ATL to Miami might have to charge a little longer if you are hauling something bigger or heavier but LOTS of SC on that route.
Actually most charging tests are done from 20-80%, not 0-100%.

I told you that I'd be able to do that, because I HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT towing a boat and getting even less range.
I didn't have to go anywhere and guess. And that's why I keep telling you that since you are in Florida, running out of power is pretty hard to do.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
These are the reasons why analysts are anticipating leas than brisk offtake of CTs after the frenzy of early adopters.

They said there are big disappointment on the value proposition of lower range and a substantially higher price.
Aren't these the ones that shorted Tesla?