Tri motor Cybertruck better V2G *investment* value than dual?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I could care less about vehicle to grid because I dont own house BUT vehicle to vehicle would be AMAZING!
:love:
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
V2G is just one aspect. I'm looking forward to V2V being a thing. Running low on battery power wouldn't be as daunting if your vehicle could be shown on Tesla's navigation with a "Fellow Tesla driver needs some charge" and notifying nearby drivers who could then offer a hand by clicking on the driver's icon and sending a "Help is on the way" message. Then, they could offer up enough charge to enable the stranded motorist to make it to the nearest available charging station.

I mean, how cool would that be?
I have read lots of comments on why V2V would be a bad idea, but I think it would be a great idea. I worry about my wife and friends not paying close enough attention and running out of battery. If I or someone else could give enough charge to get them to a charger it would make me feel better. Would we be able to do V2V charging with the CT power outlet? We would need software to control how much juice we are willing to give up, charging rate, etc. We would also need cables.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I have read lots of comments on why V2V would be a bad idea, but I think it would be a great idea. I worry about my wife and friends not paying close enough attention and running out of battery. If I or someone else could give enough charge to get them to a charger it would make me feel better. Would we be able to do V2V charging with the CT power outlet? We would need software to control how much juice we are willing to give up, charging rate, etc. We would also need cables.
True. I didn't think about the outlets even. There could also be some way to "charge" for The charge of at least a simple way to credit some SC miles to the helper if you wanted.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Average house in the USA uses 30 kWh a day. That's one-third of dual motor battery size or even less. I think single and dual motor cybertruck is enough for most homes to maximize off-peak power charging and minimize peak demand and normal electricity rate. This could save people 50-75% on electricity if their utility has good off-peak rates, special electric vehicle rates, and/or high normal or peak demand rates.

As for feeding electricity back into the grid for profit, it is going to be very utility dependent. Most utilities would rather buy batteries and profit themselves than let customers have the profit. But if your utility makes it lucrative, then it definitely makes sense to go trimotor (assuming it has V2G).

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
While V2G whole community’s have been formed to work this concept in some Scandinavian country’s I’ve seen.

I'm with AJDelange on this, its a fantasy.

V2G at the moment has a very marginal cash benefit to the consumer for a tradeoff in battery cycle accelerated degradation (devaluation $$), and vehicle convenience / use.

Due to certain substantial disadvantages inherent in the concept of vehicle battery serving regular consistent power to the grid.

In technical terms we’d call this whole idea “a bit of a wank”.

A/ You have to sign over control of the battery (vehicle) to the Electricity Utility,
or if Tesla wants to act as the intermediary, let them negotiate control with the utility )

B/ Assuming you are able to set a minimum available charge they can not allow power to drop below !

C/ Car needs to be at a fixed address, presume home. Generally meaning not able to be accessed by the Utility during 8am to 6pm at least. Vehicle is away.

D/ Considering for primary use as a car battery, you should be regularly charging your battery to no more than 80%, and you should be aiming to charge it up before it goes below 20%.

And you wish to maintain a minimum charge to use the battery for its primary intended use, driving a vehicle !

So that a vehicle capable of 300 miles (Nominal ) perhaps 50% is the minimum charge you wish to allow the utility to access power down to.

That means 30% of the battery is all you will give over to the grid.

How many shekels can you receive for satisfying all the following conditions before receiving any money :

A/ The times you will be willing to sell power,

B/ Plugged in to sell power,

C/ Not need the additional range in the immediate future

D/ And the utility will want to access power ?

Considering a 300 mile nominal range, means about 265 miles highway range.

Then considering the battery is regularly supposed to be charged to 80% means an approx. range of 212 miles.

Then real world driving efficiency due to conditions / externalities means energy efficiency of 83% which equals 176 miles of range.

As regular battery bottom limit is set at 20%, that is to say, 60 miles. Your total miles available to drive is usually around 116 miles ( 176 - 60 ).

So if you were willing to sacrifice driving range to earn income from the grid regularly.
And sacrifice battery life and car value long term.

So in the case of the Cybertruck Dual Motor, 300 mile range from 100kwh (estimated) battery, if you wish to reserve 58 miles for daily driving use, then you roughly can give over 58 miles of range / to the utility to pay you perhaps !

Say approx. 10 c per kwh for 19.3 kwhrs = $ 1.93 for however many days a year you care to do this for !!
Note Power company won't need to buy it from you every day either.

In my humble view, electric vehicles need as much battery / energy for the primary purpose of driving. Cybertruck’s battery size and power points are a great advantage for, Home Back up battery use and even a little supplemental home energy use, but commercial, or incidental selling power back to the grid, is very minor and hardly worth it when all things considered, especially reduction in battery life/ vehicle valuation.

Yes the case improves for Trimotor Cybertruck with an estimated 200 kwh battery but then you did pay an extra $20,000 u.s !

( $30,500 Aus > $40, 600 after Luxury car tax )

P.S. I know I could have left it at one short sentence, V2G is a bit of a wank.

But then some Tesla disciples may have become apoplectic. Plus I thought I should quantify a little for myself. Please correct me if I have missed something substantial .

Oh' and one very big assumption is made in the calculation above.
All The Power You Sold To The Grid, You Got For Free In The First Place !

I think you'll make the same money riding an exercise bike, or better still, attaching electrodes to the balls of electric eels riding exercise bikes in a pond. Double the output :LOL:
I’m dying to see what an eel-capable aquatic bike looks like...

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
V2G is just one aspect. I'm looking forward to V2V being a thing. Running low on battery power wouldn't be as daunting if your vehicle could be shown on Tesla's navigation with a "Fellow Tesla driver needs some charge" and notifying nearby drivers who could then offer a hand by clicking on the driver's icon and sending a "Help is on the way" message. Then, they could offer up enough charge to enable the stranded motorist to make it to the nearest available charging station.

I mean, how cool would that be?
sucking on a plastic tube to siphon gas and then getting some gas in the mouth... yeah, helping a fellow motorist out by simply owning a V2V cable is a great thing (with no aftertaste!).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
This has been discussed here and elsewhere. Certainly it is technically feasible and is, in fact, being done in a couple of places on an experimental basis. My take on it all is that it is something I would not want to do with the current low lifetime cycle count of the current battery technology. Get me a battery with a lifetime of 10 times more cycles and I might consider it.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I agree with you AJ 100%. I would not be interested in depreciating my new CT just to save a few bucks.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I never understood why the vocal fans thought they would make any money with it. It would have to be the utility depositing energy with you at negative interest rates.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If the battery will have a high number of cycles, Tesla's Autobidder software seems to be very good, both in large packs and in smaller, campus sized packs.

If they can tune it to work well for Powerwall sized battery packs, then I could see how Autobidder could make someone a few bucks.

I mean, there are people who spend more money to produce videos than they make on YouTube...
And if you do have enough vehicles plugged in (not to be true for some time, say 5+ years) that the load to any particular vehicle is pretty low.

Then there is the backup generator use case. My Nissan Leaf, if I could get it to do V2Home, I would have never been without power in the last few months, cause even one time when we lost power and the Leaf was a bit low, it still had over 10kWh in the pack, enough to run my house for several days... and the power was out for only 5 to 6 hours.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I remember seeing somewhere that Japan was having Leafs do vtg during emergencies

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I think you've nailed it. I keep going back and forth.... I've lost track of the number of times I've gone to the site to upgrade to a 3 motor..... but, damit, $20,000 is a lot of money.....
Just reserve two. Make the decision when you have more information.

dkositsky

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Realestaye management
Country flag
I think you've nailed it. I keep going back and forth.... I've lost track of the number of times I've gone to the site to upgrade to a 3 motor..... but, damit, $20,000 is a lot of money.....
Yeah I want extra range but not the third motor. We want the ability to go for max range donot care re performance in a truck. Too fast!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
sucking on a plastic tube to siphon gas and then getting some gas in the mouth... yeah, helping a fellow motorist out by simply owning a V2V cable is a great thing (with no aftertaste!).
We will soon (when the CT arrives type of soon) be an all BEV household and the thought occurred to me that if I or my wife somehow run out of juice the other could come and do the V2V thing for the other.
Sponsored