Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I told myself that anything resembling a delay of the CT on this call that I would order a MY. The moment he said ”next year hopefully” I clicked off the call and went to the Tesla website. The dual motor is pushed out to August so I ordered a Performance in black with a delivery date of March. Did not spring for the FSD though, standard AP is enough for me.
And that is why making the Cybertruck is kinda stupid, from Tesla's point of view. One of the first things Elon said on the conference call, "We're a real company now".
:cry:
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
seems like their car business went from lets build the coolest most hightec stuff out there to lets squeeze as much profit out of the cars that we are already making because we are an official business now. That really sucks. looks like they are on track to be the next Apple. Yes they will produce cool stuff, but they will be following instead of leading.
I really don't understand your mindset. I listened to the entire comment and didn't get that at all. I admit to being wrong with an earlier comment that Tesla's focus is on functionality and not price, but his comment today makes it clear that they 'are' focused on affordability, which is an extension of cost. He knows that a huge number of reservations will be dropped if they cannot produce the CT near the quoted cost, so I am guessing that they hope to solve this problem while waiting for the chip situation to get solved.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, 1967 Jeepster Comando
Occupation
Restaurateur
Country flag
The delays are hugely annoying and insulting. I have been as loyal a Tesla owner as there ever was; I had easily 15 people order Tesla's at my advice. I started with a Signature Model S then another S and a model X. One of the first to order the CyberTruck and patiently waiting for this groundbreaking, inspirational Truck. I returned my Model X after the lease was up and ordered a two year lease on a 2021 model S until the first promised date for CT came and went. Then after waiting 3 or 4 months they said the delay on the ordered 2021 Model S "was indefinite." So, without a vehicle I had no choice but to buy a "Temporary" Gas burning used Toyota Tundra UGH!! This was when the new estimate was that production was going to start on the CyberTruck the end of 2021. Now I have my doubts they will even build the thing. It appears they made the business decision to prioritise the Model Y and others over the Cyber Truck. Yes it is annoying and insulting they would promise like this and far, far from deliver. If you can't promise and deliver than underpromise and overdeliver. Clearly neither is possible with the CyberTruck. It's a damn shame. I guess I'll be purchasing the first fully electric Truck that goes into production which ever one comes first. It won't be a Tesla CyberTruck, we can be sure of that if ever. This Sucks.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I told myself that anything resembling a delay of the CT on this call that I would order a MY. The moment he said ”next year hopefully” I clicked off the call and went to the Tesla website. The dual motor is pushed out to August so I ordered a Performance in black with a delivery date of March. Did not spring for the FSD though, standard AP is enough for me.
I did the same thing. Model Y on order and then I won't worry about when the CT will be produced [as much]. I heard from a second-hand source (but high up in Tesla mgmt) that the CT may not even be produced in 2023. I scoffed at the thought, then, but now I wonder. Sheesh :-(

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So happy I bought my MY when I did. (My MY… )

Tons of fun. Now that the truck is indefinitely delayed, I want to raise the suspension so I can play a bit.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped

Tons of fun. Now that the truck is indefinitely delayed, I want to raise the suspension so I can play a bit.
I actually prefered the dual motor because it has a slightly higher ground clearance to the Performance model but I am so sick of waiting on Tesla I went with the Performance because it had a delivery of March and the regular dual motor was August. I’ll use the MY to familiarize myself with BEVs and then grab a CT at whatever point they materialize. Will still need to keep the HD trucks for work but the MY should be a fun driver.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
SOURCE Sawyer Merritt on twitter:

The Cybertruck has been delayed to late 2022. "Production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023". This is per a company wide conference call with employees.

[Admin addendum: Elon did add this about the Cybertruck: "It will be a special project. Like a glitch in the Matrix. Like if Neo had a car."]

So there you have it folks. Volume production will begin in 2023. If you are 100,000 and above for your place in line, start thinking 2024, or later, the further down the list your spot is. :cry::cry:
#77K but at what price????

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Its too bad that the Model Y ground clearance is no where near what an SUV would normally be. So they designed a car that, in virtually every respect, beats the crap out of most SUVs available, but in keeping the ground clearance an inch higher than the Model 3 in many respects they have emasculated its potential. I would want adjustable suspension provided by Tesla or at least a fixed ground clearance higher than it is at present.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
Anticipating delays, I purchased a Model Y to tide me over until my Cybertruck would be ready.
SO GLAD I did.

I'm enjoying the Model Y :cool:- but unfortunate so is my wife :sneaky:

I'll be trading her in when the Cybertruck is ready [ the model y, not the wife :rolleyes: ]
I did the same and yes wife drives it more than I do.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its too bad that the Model Y ground clearance is no where near what an SUV would normally be. So they designed a car that, in virtually every respect, beats the crap out of most SUVs available, but in keeping the ground clearance an inch higher than the Model 3 in many respects they have emasculated its potential. I would want adjustable suspension provided by Tesla or at least a fixed ground clearance higher than it is at present.
if the Y would have the air suspension, I would buy it right now and cancel the CT

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
seems like their car business went from lets build the coolest most hightec stuff out there to lets squeeze as much profit out of the cars that we are already making because we are an official business now. That really sucks. looks like they are on track to be the next Apple. Yes they will produce cool stuff, but they will be following instead of leading.

Seeing as you have zero insight into their production issues, your comment is a bit whiny. Yes, they are a for profit company with shareholders. Duh. They will still make awesome and revolutionary products that change the world, just like Apple.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
yeah cuz companies making profit is just crazy talk.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Seeing as you have zero insight into their production issues, your comment is a bit whiny. Yes, they are a for profit company with shareholders. Duh. They will still make awesome and revolutionary products that change the world, just like Apple.
I thought it was A LOT whiney.

OP
OP

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
The delays are hugely annoying and insulting. I have been as loyal a Tesla owner as there ever was; I had easily 15 people order Tesla's at my advice. I started with a Signature Model S then another S and a model X. One of the first to order the CyberTruck and patiently waiting for this groundbreaking, inspirational Truck. I returned my Model X after the lease was up and ordered a two year lease on a 2021 model S until the first promised date for CT came and went. Then after waiting 3 or 4 months they said the delay on the ordered 2021 Model S "was indefinite." So, without a vehicle I had no choice but to buy a "Temporary" Gas burning used Toyota Tundra UGH!! This was when the new estimate was that production was going to start on the CyberTruck the end of 2021. Now I have my doubts they will even build the thing. It appears they made the business decision to prioritise the Model Y and others over the Cyber Truck. Yes it is annoying and insulting they would promise like this and far, far from deliver. If you can't promise and deliver than underpromise and overdeliver. Clearly neither is possible with the CyberTruck. It's a damn shame. I guess I'll be purchasing the first fully electric Truck that goes into production which ever one comes first. It won't be a Tesla CyberTruck, we can be sure of that if ever. This Sucks.
It is frustrating. When I placed an order in November 2019, I did believe it might be December 2021 when deliveries would start.

They have pushed the timeline a few times. Now, after today's conference call, it sounds like 2023 is the EARLIEST that the first models would be built. That is assuming they can get some engineering details worked out (i.e. get the costs under control for what they promised the truck would have).

They way overpromised on the CT. Now I don't know if they can deliver. Maybe if they price it at $99,000?
Sponsored