jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I don’t know where the myth that concrete has to cure for a month started but that’s not necessarily true. There are countless blends and techniques that can be used. Depending on what type they use it could need to cure overnight or even a year so there is no way to put any kind of number on it due to the fact we don’t know what they are pouring. The Hoover Dam is still curing today but that hasn’t stopped it from being used.
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, Bezos did fly away, barely making it into someone's definition of "space". This makes Bezos the grande wiener of the the billionaire pigs in space race. Sir Richard of Virgin will have to settle for a distant second.
For the record, If Elon really wanted to, he could have long ago gone far farther into the void.. But his dreams are far larger, and very likely unachievable. ... Mars. .....Really?
The sad ending to this story is when Bezos came back.

In other news, two separate sources report that foundation work for the not-quite-over-nine-thousand ton Gigapress has begun. Jeff Roberts got the scoop Aug 8, and Joe Tegtmeyer seems to have confirmed this in this morning's Drone Video.

So here's the Delusional timeline....
Aug 8, Foundation work begun....
Aug 18, Foundation install completed. ( this will go quick)
Sept 18 Waiting. The concrete has to cure for at least a month if they are going to be putting multi-ton machines on it.
Sept 25. Begin installing larger gigapress.
Nov 7. First Test of gigapress
Nov 14. Actual CT castings are casted. Now The fun begins!
Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING!

Nov 15. My hope is that at the moment the first good CT castings are ready, They already have,
sitting there waiting, all the other parts they need to put together a few updated prototypes.

"A Month or so" after the casting machine is running, should be..... right around...

iu.jpeg

This assumes Elon wasn't trolling us when he said we would get to see an updated prototype before the devil is dodging snowflakes.
I want one of those sweatshirts!!!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yes, Bezos did fly away, barely making it into someone's definition of "space". This makes Bezos the grande wiener of the the billionaire pigs in space race. Sir Richard of Virgin will have to settle for a distant second.
For the record, If Elon really wanted to, he could have long ago gone far farther into the void.. But his dreams are far larger, and very likely unachievable. ... Mars. .....Really?

In other news, two separate sources report that foundation work for the not-quite-over-nine-thousand ton Gigapress has begun. Jeff Roberts got the scoop Aug 8, and Joe Tegtmeyer seems to have confirmed this in this morning's Drone Video.

Sept 18 Waiting. The concrete has to cure for at least a month if they are going to be putting multi-ton machines on it.
Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING!

Nov 15. My hope is that at the moment the first good CT castings are ready, They already have,
sitting there waiting, all the other parts they need to put together a few updated prototypes.

"A Month or so" after the casting machine is running, should be..... right around...

iu.jpeg

This assumes Elon wasn't trolling us when he said we would get to see an updated prototype before the devil is dodging snowflakes.
Whoever told you the concrete needs to cure for a month is mistaken. If you go back to January and watch the videos you will see that within 2 weeks of setting the pad they began installing the first gigapress.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Use the Hoover dam as a reference, it could take a while to cure. Handling heat can speed up curing process.

There is no set time, too many variables. We will prematurely age if worry at the granular level if the poured and cured concrete correctly.

(I am with you in wanting all details)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's been kinda over-tested.
<cynicism>
Bezos wanted to be the first one up in his little toy and didn't want to go fly in his little toy unless it was perfectly safe. Therefore they tested the hell out of it.

Musk just wants to fling space trash into the atmosphere. If a little bit of space trash gets blown up, it's not a big deal.
</cynicism>

Yes... that is the absolutely most cynical take on the modern space race possible. I think there is at least a little truth to it though.

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag

iu.jpeg

When Elon makes major progress announcements about the CT now, I yawn. The only timeline is "no timeline". It will be here when it gets here, and not before. My '93 still runs great and those "in the know" say it should keep on keepin' on. It's just a beater, but a very good beater. As long as nothing falls off or breaks I'm in good shape; parts are hard to come by!

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
The gigapress foundation we were talking about ended up getting another 6000 ton press installed on it. That is the third press of that type.
Last week a drone shot showed TWO more gigapress foundations being built. Let's hope at least one of those are the 8000 ton variety. After these two, it looks like there is room for four or maybe five more presses. That would make a total of nine or ten.
I'm thinking two presses doing Model Y front, and two presses doing model Y rear castings. Then two presses doing CT front, and two presses doing CT rear castings. This would allow one or maybe two presses can be down for maintenance at any time without slowing production.

I am moving my guesstimate for an updated cyber truck to be shown.
Now Monday March 28,

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The gigapress foundation we were talking about ended up getting another 6000 ton press installed on it. That is the third one of that type.
Last week a drone shot showed TWO more gigapress foundations being built. Let's hope those are the 8000 ton variety. It looks like there is room for maybe four more presses after these two. That would make a total of nine.

I am moving my guesstimate for an updated cyber truck to be shown.
Now Monday March 28,
Sounds like they are planning on moving a *lot* of Model Ys then. Fremont has 2 casting machines which produce all the Model 3s and Model Ys. Sounds like Tesla isn't doubling capacity for the Model 3 and Model Y, they are tripling it.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla is expanding production of the Y in Fremont. Holy moly.

Tesla files to expand Model Y production lines at Fremont factory
CREDIT: RYAN FERRIN | YOUTUBE
Tesla Cybertruck Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING! work-pic-update-80x80

ByJoey Klender
Posted on September 7, 2021
Tesla plans to expand Model Y production lines at its Fremont factory in Northern California, filings submitted to the City of Fremont reveal.

The Model Y is Tesla’s newest available vehicle and also the company’s most popular car in several markets, including the United States. The all-electric crossover is produced at the Fremont factory in Northern California on production lines known as General Assembly (GA) 4.5 and has been since February 2020. Tesla installed the GA 4.5 line just outside the Fremont plant’s main facility in a Sprung structure which was also the home to some Model 3 production since February 2020.

In February, Tesla officially filed to have the spring structure made permanent by filing with the City of Fremont to add a 64,000 square foot expansion to the factory. In July, Tesla officially started making GA 4.5 a permanent part of the company’s production facility by adding underground sewer connections for plumbing and creating foundational work for the spring structure to sit on.

Now that the GA 4.5 lines are permanently installed in the factory, it appears that Tesla is attempting to expand the production capacity of these lines specifically. New filings from the City of Fremont reveal Tesla has filed for “4.5 Expansion,” along with several other filings, including “GA4.5 South Expansion Shell & Utilities,” and “GA4.5 Battery Marriage Tool Improvement.”

Tesla has been making tremendous strides toward improving GA 4.5, especially as demand for the company’s vehicles has increased over the past few years. Tesla is currently struggling with keeping up with demand because it has just one operational plant in North America. Tesla has been able to avert production stoppages from semiconductor shortages by developing its own microcontrollers in-house. However, demand has pushed the projected delivery of some vehicles back to 2022.

According to the company’s most recent Shareholder Deck, the Fremont factory currently produces 500,000 Model 3 and Model Y units per year. Because the two vehicles are Tesla’s most popular products, the company is working on expanding the production capacity to keep up with growing demand. Tesla will soon have assistance with Model Y production for North America as Giga Texas will begin manufacturing the all-electric crossover later this year. Additionally, Tesla’s global production rate of the Y will expand once again later this year when production at Giga Berlin, the company’s first European production facility, begins.

Tesla has continued to dominate the EV market across the globe, and the Model Y is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, contributors to the cause. Expanding the manufacturing efforts of the Model Y is in Tesla’s best interest as it continues to battle through parts shortages and increasing demand for its vehicles.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-production-lines-expansion-ga-4-5/

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's nothing in that article (or its sources) that says what Tesla actually intends to use that additional space for, so why does it say Model Y, I wonder?

Guesses make me nervous.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
There's nothing in that article (or its sources) that says what Tesla actually intends to use that additional space for, so why does it say Model Y, I wonder?

Guesses make me nervous.

-Crissa
The GA 4.5 line is used exclusively for Model Y? So expansion of GA 4.5 area means expansion of Model Y..... probably it's to cast Model Y front....

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Crissa's skepticism is well warranted. Are these additions even big enough and contiguous enough for an assembly line? If it is, could it be the roadster?

I think this line from the article is prescient.
"GA4.5 Battery Marriage Tool Improvement."
That's what they are trying to do. Bring the body in white together with the undercarriage in a seamless way.

At this time, batteries are the sole bottleneck. I say that almost all new space Tesla gets in the next year or two will be devoted to 4680 mass production. If projections are to be believed, In the next decade, they will need several gigafactories devoted solely to batteries.

Batteries.
Batteries.
And once again. Batteries.

The robot won't need any space for five years, if they are lucky.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
When Elon makes major progress announcements about the CT now, I yawn. The only timeline is "no timeline". It will be here when it gets here, and not before. My '93 still runs great and those "in the know" say it should keep on keepin' on. It's just a beater, but a very good beater. As long as nothing falls off or breaks I'm in good shape; parts are hard to come by!
My current "beater" truck is a 2010 F-150 with almost 50K miles on it. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat ready to take delivery of my first Cybertruck because I hate driving the F-150 ever since we took delivery of our first electric car (Model 3). The truck drives like a disconnected nightmare. It feels like an ancient relic from the past with all kinds of funny noises, smells and irritating built-in time delays and disconcerting slushy lurches every time it shifts. Which is to say it drives normally for a low mileage 2010 F-150. ?

OP
OP
Ehninger1212

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
My current "beater" truck is a 2010 F-150 with almost 50K miles on it. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat ready to take delivery of my first Cybertruck because I hate driving the F-150 ever since we took delivery of our first electric car (Model 3). The truck drives like a disconnected nightmare. It feels like an ancient relic from the past with all kinds of funny noises, smells and irritating built-in time delays and disconcerting slushy lurches every time it shifts. Which is to say it drives normally for a low mileage 2010 F-150. ?
Only 50k miles?
Sponsored