Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
so worth it. 10 powerwalls will cost 100k. So having a kick ass truck and 10 powerwalls worth of power for 100k hands down is 100% the way to go.

So true but thats what I'm trying to understand is if the truck truly is a apples to apples comparison with the type of power and storage the Powerwall can offer vs the CT as I've seen a few forums where the estimates of power a CT can provide don't linearly match up with what, to your point, 10x powerwalls would be able to
Sponsored

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
So true but thats what I'm trying to understand is if the truck truly is a apples to apples comparison with the type of power and storage the Powerwall can offer vs the CT as I've seen a few forums where the estimates of power a CT can provide don't linearly match up with what, to your point, 10x powerwalls would be able to
The 123kw will provide down to 10% at 11kwh rate which is more than my powerwalls do and capacity of my powerwalls is 13.5kw each. the CT is 123kw.

yessirrom

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR RWD, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
if you go this route, (and i think its the best route) make sure you buy a breaker interlock kit too, then you dont have to trust yourself or a family member or the next owner.
1707230271655.png

also if you have solar you may want to turn off the breakers that the solar inverter feeds your main panel from (if thats how its installed) also.
I have this very setup and it works quite well with my portable generator. I look forward to the cybertruck setup for future needs though.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
I have this very setup and it works quite well with my portable generator. I look forward to the cybertruck setup for future needs though.
me too. I plan on never using PGE again. Im done with their rates and Tru Up Fees. I will be charging my truck at work and powering my house with my solar and 2 wall batteries and truck all day and night. Im just going to turn the breaker off at main and be done. Can't wait.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hey W, I think maybe I didn't write my original message very clearly, apologies about that. Let me take a step back with my understanding of how V2H charging works with the CT to make sure I didn't misinterpret.

My understanding is there are 2x main ways the CT Powershare feature (https://www.tesla.com/powershare) can charge a home. Including the link more for reference for others not implying you didn't know about it and also because its incredible hard to find easily on the website.

1. Is by plugging your home's generator or other non-Tesla equipment directly into the 120V and 240V ports in the bed of the truck. This essentially turns your Tesla into a standard power source and should be compatible with any equipment that has a cord with a male plug on the end to draw power from.

2. Is through the NACS port where you plug the Tesla Universal Wall charger into the CT's NACS charging port and as long as you have a Tesla Gateway 3V or newer, then if the Gateway detects the grid is down it can intelligently pull power from the CT to be the home's source of energy until either the grid is detected to come back online or the CT runs out of battery (or potentially it stops at 10% so your truck doesn't completely die)

If you also look into the fine print in the site above, it claims halfway down the page that the CT can power a home for 3x days but at the very bottom of the page it notes that is based on 30kwh of energy use per day so even by those metrics, that would mean it would only be the equivalent of 90kwh right? Or potentially is that just the point it stops providing power so the truck doesn't completely die?

I know this thread started as Johnm6875 discussing leveraging option #1 above but my question is for option #2.

I hope that helps to clarify what data I'm after in terms of how this can augment the current Gateway + 2x powerwall setup I currently have at our house. Let me know if you think this deserves or should have its own thread so it doesn't fork the conversation for this one.
1) You don't plug a generator into the Cybertruck's outlets. I'm hoping this was a kind of typo. Yes, this is simply providing 120V or 240V power, but is only enabled for 12 hours and must be renabled at that point

2) Yes, it is connected to an auto switch-over relay that provides power to the home.

3 days @ 30kWh is 90 kWh, or about 70% (90/123) of the battery. If you only charged to 80% and then dropped to 10%, then that seems to be the numbers that they are using.

So yes, the Cybertruck would provide about 90kWh in addition to the Powerwalls.

BUT, this requires the Cybertruck to be plugged in. It requires the Cybertruck to be at full normal charge (80%) and assumes that you will not be using the Cybertruck. All of these are BIG "Ifs"

pschmitz87

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
1) You don't plug a generator into the Cybertruck's outlets. I'm hoping this was a kind of typo. Yes, this is simply providing 120V or 240V power, but is only enabled for 12 hours and must be renabled at that point

2) Yes, it is connected to an auto switch-over relay that provides power to the home.

3 days @ 30kWh is 90 kWh, or about 70% (90/123) of the battery. If you only charged to 80% and then dropped to 10%, then that seems to be the numbers that they are using.

So yes, the Cybertruck would provide about 90kWh in addition to the Powerwalls.

BUT, this requires the Cybertruck to be plugged in. It requires the Cybertruck to be at full normal charge (80%) and assumes that you will not be using the Cybertruck. All of these are BIG "Ifs"

Haha yes #1 I wrote generator but I didn't mean that :)

Yeah typically when we lose power its from ice or bad storms where we wouldn't be leaving the house anyways so the CT not being used and plugged in at home is a good assumption for our situation.

Worst case we also have solar where if we did need to pull the CT out and run an errand then the house could switch over to the powerwalls and hopefully get some drip charge from the panels. We are also planning on keeping our Y at this point so theoretically we could also in the event of a bad power outage, just park the CT in the garage and plug it in, then put the Y on the street for errands and have our setup be that combo.

Either way really I really appreciate the insight and discourse, thanks!

ParTheBar

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP, GL550, M3, Jag XJL SC, R1S & CT on order
Country flag
My CT hadn't been home 24 hours before our power went out due to a big storm.

I have a cutoff switch with a NEMA 14-50 plug that I usually plug into an ICE generator during power outages. This time I plugged into the CT, turned it on with the app and "no fuss, no muss" the house had power, including the well. It used about 1% per hour through the evening.

We have propane for hot water and heater and, except for the refrigerator, we didn't run our appliances much. Not hearing the generator is delightful. It did turn off after about 10 hours, don't know why, and I turned it back on from the app without any drama.

My granddaughter wanted me to drive her to High School today (lots of heads turned) so I topped up at a supercharger before coming home (power is still out here) so I'm set for the next couple of days if necessary.
Just received Config Email and considering Beast. I was initially adding up benefits of Premium Accessories, Light Bar, etc. but think Powershare is HUGE benefit. Am i thinking about this correctly?
  • CT Beast has ~123kWh capacity.
  • Powerwall v2 has 14 KwH capacity
  • Powerwall Cost $8,400 LESS 30% Fed Credit = $5,880.
  • CT = ~Nine (9) Powerwalls
  • CT kWh capacity is worth $52,920
  • 3V Gateway Included - $1,800 est
  • Universal Wall Connector - $595
  • Powershare Beast installation credit - $4,000
  • Total Powershare benefit - $59,315
Plus Lightbar ($1-3K), FSD ($7-12K) adds another $8-15K.

Total CT Beast benefit = $67,315 - $74,315

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Appreciate ant/all feedback

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Just received Config Email and considering Beast. I was initially adding up benefits of Premium Accessories, Light Bar, etc. but think Powershare is HUGE benefit. Am i thinking about this correctly?

While it may not be the justification that others do, whatever justification that you need to do and makes you happy is satisfactory.

ParTheBar

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP, GL550, M3, Jag XJL SC, R1S & CT on order
Country flag
While it may not be the justification that others do, whatever justification that you need to do and makes you happy is satisfactory.
Thanks Ed.

Does anyone know if we can confirm Powershare can be installed before final configuration?

We have a lake house about 20 miles from home address that is on Tesla profile, if want Powershare at lake house, should I change address on CT order? Powershare installer should be the same.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Thanks Ed.

Does anyone know if we can confirm Powershare can be installed before final configuration?

We have a lake house about 20 miles from home address that is on Tesla profile, if want Powershare at lake house, should I change address on CT order? Powershare installer should be the same.
If you change the address on the order, that will probably ripple all the way through financing, taxes and registration. And everything will be indicated as the other location.

sharpgator

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan, M3
Country flag

I just told my wife I'm getting a free truck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not really. Unless it's an earthquake, you're going to have enough warning to charge your truck. And if it's enough to knock out the power, you're likely not going to be doing very much driving. And if you are, there will be other places to charge.

-Crissa
Sponsored