Yukondave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Doesn't seem like it would be enjoyable to drive around with it closed. Personally I'll probably have the cover open most of the time.
Not having a closed tonneau cover is a huge wind drag on any truck.
I’m curious what is more enjoyable about having it open.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Not having a closed tonneau cover is a huge wind drag on any truck.
I’m curious what is more enjoyable about having it open.
It's more enjoyable to have the sunshine and not feel closed in. More enjoyable for my dog to ride in the back, and not be inside a closed box. I am about 50/50 on Tesla having the back window go up and down. If that window goes down, I could see myself driving around with it down, and the cover down also. I drive a Ford E250 for our family vacations and I only use the side mirrors for looking behind me. I totally get where you're coming from. I was mostly explaining why drivers of these prototypes with nothing in the back, would probably prefer driving with the motorized cover in the down position. Explaining why we don't see more photos of the prototypes with the cover more often. MAYBE.:)

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
It's more enjoyable to have the sunshine and not feel closed in. More enjoyable for my dog to ride in the back, and not be inside a closed box. I am about 50/50 on Tesla having the back window go up and down. If that window goes down, I could see myself driving around with it down, and the cover down also. I drive a Ford E250 for our family vacations and I only use the side mirrors for looking behind me. I totally get where you're coming from. I was mostly explaining why drivers of these prototypes with nothing in the back, would probably prefer driving with the motorized cover in the down position. Explaining why we don't see more photos of the prototypes with the cover more often. MAYBE.:)
We need to define down and up. Is down closed and up open?

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
That sounds backwards

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The glass roof will feel open when driven. If you wish to drive with tonneau cover open, have at it. Range impact is proportional to the speed driven.

In practice, you may find driving closed feels similar to driving open.

Deleted member 12457

So you're one of those drivers who leave a dog in the bed of the truck while going fast enough to kill them if they bounce or jump out. If they're tethered, there's always the chance of strangling them. I believe it's illegal for people to right in the back of trucks in most states (unless they're in seats with seatbelts) so why do people leave their dogs in the back, especially when it's cold? I salute those who crate their dogs in the truck bed but also hate to see idiot drivers with dogs in their laps.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
hate to see idiot drivers with dogs in their laps
I remember a long trip with just me and my dog. She was in the passanger seat as usual. At some point I realized she was in my lap and I didn’t even notice her getting there. It was cute so I let her stay there for a bit, but thoughts of an accident and the airbags going off led me to coaxing her back into he passenger seat. I changed things around a bit and started putting her in the back seat on her dog bed. One time with her in the back seat I had to hit the brakes really hard due to some idiot. She and bed flew forward and on the floor. Her bed ended up on top of her. I had to pull over and “save” her as she acted like she was trapped. Luckily no injury. Now I use a hammock type thing to keep that from happening. It also helps a small bit when cleaning out the dog hair.

23lb Jack Russel Terrior mix.

Tesla Cybertruck Vault cover always open in photos 1658806154821

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I put my cat on a harness and clipped her to the shoulder belt. She'd sit in the seat, but would get really excited as we got close to home, I'd have to stop and crate her if she tried slipping the harness or climbing on the dash.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Secret to cleaning dog fur from your car, use wife’s car to drive dog to the vet.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
We need to define down and up. Is down closed and up open?
OK smartass, you got me. :p

My terminology was wrong. I'll try to use open and closed from now on. As for the comment on this thread where I was referring to having the back window down and the cover down. I should have stated "back window open and cover open.

I hope this clears up the confusion.:)

And about the dog riding in my truck. My dog Sam is used to riding in vehicles with his leash on, and him somewhat restrained (to avoid falling out a window). In the CT IF the back window OPENS, I'll have him leashed to the back seatbelts or something of that nature. I also don't like to see dogs that can get injured riding carelessly in the bed of a truck. Most of our trips in vehicles are only a few miles, and not on the freeway.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I always throw the picnic blanket down before transporting dogs. That way I can wash it.

Of course, sometimes they get worried and boy I could find out how much a cat could shed in a few minutes!

-Crissa

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
We have a fur shield pet blanket for the back seat with straps attached to secure to the seat. Husky fur still gets everywhere.

If anyone thinks I am horrible using wife’s car most of the time, let me cut in the reservation line so the CT can be the designated fur carrier. (If some type of passthrough or access exists t9 bed)

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Doesn't seem like it would be enjoyable to drive around with it closed. Personally I'll probably have the cover open most of the time.
Depending on where your CT will spend most of the time, a cover helps keep the aerodynamic quotient low for max efficiency. Also, rain and snow will not accumulate or weigh you down. Covers have many features that are worth having. The problem with covers though is if what you put in the bed if it works with the cover design. I have a lot of different types and they all have plusses and minuss.
Sponsored