Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Maybe in southern CA but not in the Pacific Northwest. I have a Diamondback HD tonneau cover on my Tacoma and the only time it's off is when I'm carrying something oversize or gravel, dirt, etc. I store things in my bed and I'd rather have them stay there instead of being removed byt someone else. I plan on doing the same with my CT.
I get what you are saying, I had a 63 Ranchero with a fiberglass tonneau cover that I used just like you describe for 15 years. Only removing it when I needed to transport large items. However, the cover for the Cybertruck is unlike any other tonneau covers I've ever seen. The design covers the back window, so driving while it's covered, the visibility would be very limited. With it being so easy to open and close, I'd prefer to drive with it open most of the time. I'm sure there will be lots of times when I have things in the back that I will be driving with it closed.
My comment is mostly to explain that it's highly possible the photos we've seen that have the back open is because the drivers don't see any reason to close it and limit their visibility. The night of the reveal, they were driving with the back open. But we all know that Cybertruck has a fully operational cover.

Tesla Cybertruck Vault cover always open in photos ranchero
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
While driving down the road I will have the vault closed. I could see maybe opening the tonneau cover to look out the back window for some parking maneuvers, but only as a crutch until I unlearn looking out windows and learn to trust the cameras. I'm assuming there will be open/close controls for the tonneau cover on the main screen. (I would be EXTREMELY surprised if there wasn't).

Deleted member 12457

I get what you are saying, I had a 63 Ranchero with a fiberglass tonneau cover that I used just like you describe for 15 years. Only removing it when I needed to transport large items. However, the cover for the Cybertruck is unlike any other tonneau covers I've ever seen. The design covers the back window, so driving while it's covered, the visibility would be very limited. With it being so easy to open and close, I'd prefer to drive with it open most of the time. I'm sure there will be lots of times when I have things in the back that I will be driving with it closed.
My comment is mostly to explain that it's highly possible the photos we've seen that have the back open is because the drivers don't see any reason to close it and limit their visibility. The night of the reveal, they were driving with the back open. But we all know that Cybertruck has a fully operational cover.

ranchero.jpg
I understand what you're saying. I like to look out my back window while driving all the time. Of course when towing, there's nothing to see. I watched the video and stopped where the skinny window actually shows up. Rear seats are in the way. I always have my rear headrests flipped down so I can actually see out the back, these seats will always restrict my vision.
Tesla Cybertruck Vault cover always open in photos Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.39.05 AM

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I like to look out my back window while driving all the time.
Do you turn your head and look out the back window when driving? Or do you look out the back window using the rear view mirror?

While driving, I expect the screen imitating the rear view mirror will suffice for letting you know what's behind you while driving down the road.

Deleted member 12457

While driving down the road I will have the vault closed. I could see maybe opening the tonneau cover to look out the back window for some parking maneuvers, but only as a crutch until I unlearn looking out windows and learn to trust the cameras. I'm assuming there will be open/close controls for the tonneau cover on the main screen. (I would be EXTREMELY surprised if there wasn't).
Because of where I now live, I have to back up into my parking spot. My Tacoma's rear camera shows up in the rear view mirror and I also have it show up on my Alpine deck (took awhile to figure out how to tap into it). I need the camera to make sure I don't back into the fence. I'd really like one that's mounted on the front grill as well to make sure I don't run into the building. It will be nice when there are cameras all over the place!

Deleted member 12457

Do you turn your head and look out the back window when driving? Or do you look out the back window using the rear view mirror?

While driving, I expect the screen imitating the rear view mirror will suffice for letting you know what's behind you while driving down the road.
Absolutely even though I have Toyota-fitted Dodge towing mirrors. I don't trust my blind spot so I almost always take a look in the mirror (either side), then glance out the side and or back window to check traffic. I always check who's behind me and try and position myself where I can make a quick lane change if necessary and not hit someone. I also want to make sure a cop isn't tracking me or an idiot changing lanes and racing another idiot.

It will take time for me to get used to the traffic avoidance system or whatever it's called instead of constantly looking. When towing I have to use my mirrors but also watch to see where other vehicles are just to be prepared. Will the Tesla system take care of me? Hopefully!

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I don't trust my blind spot ...
I completely forgot about needing the rear window to check the blind spot on your right. I currently drive an SUV, that blind spot is checked looking out the SIDE windows, not so much the back window. Now that I'm visualizing driving a pickup, I fully understand your point.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
It looks like the rearview mirror is a screen showing the camera feed so it would make no difference if the vault is closed. (prototype. i know)
Yup. Your right. There is a live feed back to the rear view that will allow vault to be open or closed.
I LOVE IT. 😍
This video is just the best. If there is to be just one in the world showing the vault opening and closing, this is the one. Glad that it is. It has been my ultimate fave. Tell me that dude is just bleeding excitement. 😍 !!
That would of been me too. Soooo me. “Do it again. “ flipn rad as hell. I want this truck soooooooo bad! All I can say is Elon has amazing people working with him throughout Tesla and they know dad means what he says and says what he means. Sooooo…..

I hope Elon brings the Elong and stiffs the competition!

GIVE US THE BEAST 😎 ELECTRIC TRUCK ON THIS PLANET TESLA !!!!!!

For a great price of course😁

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I suspect having the cover open won’t help with reversing a whole lot. The driver seat is lower relative to the tailgate. That plus the sail pillars will conspire to make the rearward view out the window quite bad.

Deleted member 12457

Obvious statement. When would anyone open or close a truck's bed cover or for that matter the hood or trunk of any vehicle while driving?
Sponsored