Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Tesla, #2 EV world mfgr, gets a smackdown which seems to be operative mainstream reporting of late. Three takeaways parsing VOX reporting on NHTSA Safety, self-driving and on autonomous driving.

Autopilot conveniently packages all Tesla self-driving under one easy to grasp-handle. This enables Vox feebliest to grok the entirety of a complex solution, i.e. self driving, in a single short circuit aphorism. Vox misapplies Tesla’s self-driving handle as synonymous with autonomous driving. Tesla Robotaxi vision remains far from self-driving assistance technology. As a roadmap, self driving assist implies that there be a human driver integral to car technology thus it never leads to the robotic vision behind autonomous driverless Robotaxi.

Feining self-driving comparison for an analysis, no attempt whatsoever is made to level the table. Tilting facts in a manner that skews news and reader perception twists the frame of AV reality into magical realism that not even the auto company’s manufactured. In Vox’s case, WAYMO is framed in Space age metaphors while Tesla is labeled as some high flier by its reporter - simple name calling.

Vox entire article seems ludicrous. Its voice of authority hollow, name dropping NHTSA then not using statistics to substantiate an assertion. Lastly, questioning Vox’s portrayal of the state of self driving on US highways, self driving scheme comparisons and manufacturers safety improvement claims .vs. Vox presentation of the state of Safety implied by its article makes me wonder.

Can a fourth estate stand?

EDIT: BYD is world #1 by volume EV mfgr.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Solve the issue, make dedicated self driving lanes Until trust is earned. This statement has nothing to do with me wanting to get to my destination in half the time.
That is GM’s approach with its just announced “Ultra-Cruise” self driving limited to access controlled freeway use. Interesting

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Teslas are exploding into the world right now.

As more and more people drive Teslas... are these out-of-touch publishers going to lose credibility?

When Tesla was a tiny niche company with drivers in the tens of thousands, companies could get away with publishing this kind of nonsense. But after a point it just makes the author look like an idiot.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Engaget has a similar, arguably worse article where they blather on about how amazing GM's **unreleased and untested** Ultra Cruise system is. They blab on about how it will be able to do amazing things that nobody else does like drive on 3.4 million! miles of asphalt.

"What sets it apart from similar systems, such as Ford's Blue Cruise, is that Ultra is designed to work virtually everywhere in the US and Canada." Ultra cruise will "even park itself in residential driveways!".

Literally the only mention of Tesla is a hit in the very last line of the article about "Tesla style wrecks".

Not going to link this crap. If you see an Engadget article on the topic just avoid it.

Just have to laugh at this stuff since by the time Ultracruise is available, there will be millions of Teslas on the road US and this kind of reporting will look like the nonsense it is.

Last edited:

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well if it’s called ultra it must be good. It’s so odd the way Tesla is treated in much of the “media”. The same people who who would usually be falling over themselves to praise a company so environmentally friendly are happy to bash that same company or slant articles against them. Maybe it’s due to Tesla’s non unionized workforce or their attempts to remain as American made as possible for US sales.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
That is GM’s approach with its just announced “Ultra-Cruise” self driving limited to access controlled freeway use. Interesting
I am suggesting the approach to keep crazy people away. GM suggesting the approach illustrates they are in their infancy on robotic driving.

Since electric vehicles are allowed into the carpool lane, kick out carpoolers and make autonomous driving lane. (I stated this before in another thread months ago)

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am reminded by these old rules when caught.

1. Deny
2. Confuse
3. Blame the person who caught you

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Oh, to be balanced, I am labeled as commando comfort breezy middle with slight chaffing concern.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Friends don't let friends read Vox on purpose.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think a lot of the current problem with the media is they still haven't quite recovered from the days of print publishing. They have to pander to the auto media because it's their only link to profitability. Journalists are underpaid and tempting them with even small things is easy.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Somehow this conversation has improved mysteriously. Thank the mods.

?
Sponsored