Will Tesla Cybertruck meet Musk’s performance and pricing goals?

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
Musks words during an interview from the Summer is what got me interested in the Tesla pickup in the first place. It sounded incredible to me to have a sub $50k EV pickup that outperforms both the F-150 and 911.

"The goal is to be a better truck than an F-150 in terms of truck-like functionality and be a better sports car than a standard [Porsche] 911. That’s the aspiration.”

"We don’t want [the pickup] to be really expensive," said Musk. "I think it's got to start at less than $50,000, it’s got to be like $49,000 starting price max, ideally less. It just can’t be unaffordable."

Now that we're almost at its reveal next week, let's take predictions whether the Cybertruck will meet any/all of these goals. What do y'all think??
Sponsored

Jay Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None... hopefully a future Tesla owner
Occupation
High school student
Elon Musk has been extremely consistent with his spec predictions, so yes. I think it will meet all the specs. But I’m not sure about the pricing.

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
It should be able to out tow the base F-150. Curious to find out what payload capacity will be though. Also I hope they’ll announce range when towing or carrying cargo near max capacity. Both types of use are range killers.

WTFOver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3. R1T - Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
Would love a full size bed and crew cab. Rivian's very short bed is a problem I would love to not have.
Elon should be able to hit his specs but Price Point is doubtful with the options most of us would want. Elon's 35K Model 3 was never really hit for more than a few units and required accepting several limitations I would be unwilling to agree to.

SniP3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3
Tesla has never had an issue with performance. Pricing has been an issue though

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Cybertruck will not have 300,000 lbs towing as that would be impossible ... it will move that .. just not be legal to tow that much ... more likely to be rated in line with an F150.

Price for a longer range version will likely be 100,000 or so ... but I’m not worried since these cars last 2-3 X longer vs ICE. That alone makes the Cybertruck cheap ... and that is before we even start to talk about fuel and maintenance savings!! I’m all in!!

Schuyler

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado Duramax, Cadillac VSport, C7 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Some of these guesses are bordering on absurd. Just to put some perspective on this, 85,000 pounds is semi-truck territory. There's no need to do that. But if it could do 30,000 pounds, that would blow every existing light duty pickup out of the water. It doesn't have to beat the Big Boys. It just has to beat the Ford F150/250/350, Ram and Chevy 1500/2500/3500. That's the market here.

Schuyler

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado Duramax, Cadillac VSport, C7 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Seems to me that is a parlor trick. We don't see trucks towing space shuttles down the freeway. The issue is what the truck is rated for on a regular basis at speed, not that it can coerce something with wheels on it a few feet down a runway.

Last edited:

Tesla

First Name
Elon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicles
Roadster, Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
My guess is the pricing will be $49,000 after incentives. In CA, that would be a $2,500 check from the state and $7,500 from tax incentives from the Fed gov (if that's still the current figure). So in theory, there's $10,000 in incentives. So maybe entry price will be $59,000?

In regards to the 300k towing capacity, it will likely be able to do so. How agile, stable and quick it does it? Well, that is another question...

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
At first you could see the pricing on the order screen, from what I remember beside each model, but now it's not listed anywhere on the website for me. Not a great sign imo.

Tesla Cybertruck Will Tesla Cybertruck meet Musk’s performance and pricing goals? 1578340117224

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Never mind, that's just on the Canadian site. US version still shows pricing.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The sad reality is that the stainless steel wedge will not be $40k, 50k and $70k when they start production in TX. Virtually every auto manufacturer is experiencing supply chain issues and higher prices for raw materials. For example, the Model Y has jumped from $48,990 to $52,990 in the past 4-months. I predict a 6% price increase from the prices announced on reveal day In November of 2019.

The pre-order agreement states the following;

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change. Any pre-order price listed in the Vehicle Configuration will not include taxes and official or government fees, which could amount to up to 10% or more of the Vehicle pre-order price. Because these taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the time of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet.

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck/design#battery

Last edited:

HumperJohn#149000

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford F350
Occupation
Photographer, Publisher, Retired.
Country flag
I think that many of you are underesting Tesla. They are implementing undreamed of (by legacy auto makers) cost savings. If you believe that Musk's first goal is to drive the acceptance of EV's then every effort will be made to keep the cost down, at least for those who reserved. That said. Tesla's success depends on profit. This is not some tax funded joke, but a serious real world effort to implement a world wide disruptive change that will help make our planet livable for a bit longer.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The pre-order agreement states the following;

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change. Any pre-order price listed in the Vehicle Configuration will not include taxes and official or government fees, which could amount to up to 10% or more of the Vehicle pre-order price. Because these taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the time of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet.
All this says is that there are unpriced options, fees, and taxes you will have to pay when you take delivery.

It says nothing about the base (or FSD option) price.

-Crissa
Sponsored