Will Tesla Cybertruck meet Musk’s performance and pricing goals?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla changes pricing, they are walking a fine tightrope.

Right now Tesla’s ”killer” 1.5 million pre-order advantage is on a truck that beats the pants off the competition’s pricing. If they bump the price by a huge percentage, then what happens to their pre-orders? Do half the customers stick around? A third?

Tesla has invested tens of billions in the Cybertruck at this point. They bought 2 Gigapresses. One third of Tera Texas is dedicated to it. They’ve made purchase commitments for massive amounts of raw materials and battery components.

Are they going to take a 10+ billion dollar gamble on what is potentially a huge jump on the competition?

Tesla‘s has by far the lowest battery costs in the industry and the 4680 cells are only going to increase that cost advantage. They also have some of the most efficient production lines in the industry (VW management thinks Tesla is the *most* efficient auto maker on the planet).

I can’t see Rivian and Ford beating Tesla on price when Tesla made price a huge selling point of the truck. Particularly not when scale helps them hit that price. It would be like shooting themselves in the foot.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
People need to go back and watch the launch. The moment when they reveal the pricing blew the audience away.

Everything else got some applause, but there is an audible gasp when the price hits the screen.

I know when I saw the pricing it was a true ”Holy Shirt!” moment In my house. I remember that very distinctly because it pushed the truck from a curiosity in to a thing I was absolutely going to own.

The entire point of the Cybertruck was a to make a truck with no compromise versus ICE. Same size, better capacity, same weight, same price.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I can see one way where Tesla could change up the whole Cybertruck spec/ price sheets, and get much more money from us without pissing (many of) us off.

Replace the previous models with 2 models.

CT SR -> 300 mile range, $44,000
CT AWD LR -> 420 mile range, $55,000
CT Plaid -> 600 mile range, $77,000

Everyone pays a little more and gets much more range. The cost of batteries is one of the biggest costs of the truck and has not increased in the 36 months since launch. If the government incentives kick in it would also be *less* than owners would have paid at launch due to incentives.

There might be an issue with people downgrading, but I doubt too many people would drop down to CT1 because of the wait.

EDIT: Ok… it wouldn’t piss me off much… can’t speak for the rest of y’all.

Last edited:

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightng Lariat ER, 2014 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmmmmm!! I just checked my Cybertruck reservation page and they have removed the "FSD" from my configuration. It was there last week when I looked.

Jim Polkowski

First Name
Jim P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Country flag
Looks like there won't be any federal tax credit going thru as one senator does not want any climate change funding. I think the progressives will let this tax cut drop for now as it can be added later. The funding for DC fast chargers could stay or be dropped. Hence since Tesla, Ford and GM were hoping for this tax credit so they could raise prices they may have to rethink price increases.

My guess is Tesla will raise the dual-motor price just as they have recently for the other models. The only reason for not raising prices will be the competition's prices. If Ford and GM have a model for $49,000 then Tesla will follow. I doubt any of this will happen before 2024 or 2025 as Tesla will put all their production in Austin into the Model Y as SUVs are in demand and profits are high for thismodel.

s

Turnbulljohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes ml350 and c300
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Elon Musk has been extremely consistent with his spec predictions, so yes. I think it will meet all the specs. But I’m not sure about the pricing.
We alll agreed to this:
"any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change"
Sponsored