Will the Tesla Cybertruck become the best-selling truck in the US?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It's crazy to even think that the Tesla Cybertruck could ever surpass the Ford F-150, but anything is possible.
Our friend Ben Sullins recently revealed that he's not going to buy a Tesla Cybertruck. This is not to say he's not planning to get another electric vehicle, however. Instead, the popular and long-time Tesla owner and social media influencer has reserved a Rivian R1T.
Just because the Cybertruck isn't the right electric pickup truck for Sullins doesn't mean it's not worth covering. In this video, he asks if the upcoming Tesla pickup can become the top-selling truck in the States. While anything is possible, and Tesla continues to prove the "impossible," some would call this a huge stretch. Still, there's no way to know what the future holds.
To become the best-selling truck in America, the Tesla Cybertruck has to outsell the Ford F-150. Not only is the F-150 Ford's best-selling product and the best-selling truck in the U.S. for years, but it also outsells all other vehicles. In fact, it is near the top of the list for the highest number of sales in history. In 2019 alone, Ford sold almost 900,000 F-150 pickup trucks. Sullins also wonders if the Cybertruck will outsell the F-150 Electric, which is honestly a much more realistic possibility.
Tesla is still a small-scale automaker. It has certainly sold plenty of Model 3 sedans, so much so that the electric car has outsold many gas-powered rivals. However, Tesla has never sold 900,000 vehicles in a year. It may be a few years before the Silicon Valley automaker achieves that number with its entire fleet, let alone a single model. At the same time, Ford hasn't even officially unveiled its upcoming electric F-150. So, once it does, who knows how long it will be before it arrives, how many Ford will build, and how well it will sell.

https://insideevs.com/features/441540/video-tesla-cybertruck-outsell-ford-f-150/
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I don't think it will.

I love Tesla and I am so excited about the Cybertruck as I am sure many other people are but I think the F-150 will outsell the Cybertruck for a number of reasons.

Cost: lets forget specs and capabilities for a moment. I remember when I was 16 and wanted a Truck. I bought a 10 year 15 year old truck that was already starting to rust and was pretty beaten up. Not everyone needs to haul tons of weight or tow anything at all, some people just want a Truck and will take what they can afford.

Design: pretty straight forward, some people love or hate the Cybertruck design, but a regular pickup truck is something everyone is at least used to.

Brand loyalty: Ford sells the most trucks, as well as lots of other vehicles. A lot of people will trade in their vehicle for a newer model of the same make.

Commercial Uses: This is a pretty big one. I've worked a lot of jobs that had fleets of trucks that were used for the business and one thing that regular pickups can do that Cybertruck can't is remove the bed and replace it with custom equipment for the job. I even fueled aircrafts and our pump trucks were all Ford trucks that were modified.

You can also factor in advertising and the fact that if you are buying a ford, you can basically go anywhere to go for a test drive. Tesla is very limited on locations and they don't sell out of dealerships; I like that about Tesla but some people don't look online when car shopping, some people just drive around and look at dealerships.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If Tesla can get the cost point down... Yeah, I can see them outselling Fords. Cost is clearly the main point.

The idea that the 'bed' is a thing that needs to be taken off is just... Silly. The reason you can take the bed off - and desire to - is because it's not structural. But with the Cybertruck design, the side walls are the structure.

In only a few cases are you replacing the side of a pickup with the side that's actively opened toolkits or nozzles or whatnot. The vast majority are just replacing it with what the Cybertruck has built in: Higher walls, a deck that can be attached to, etc. And enclosed toolkit space in the sides and deck.

Tesla says that a little box truck or cargo van is in the future, so we'll have to see what they come up with!

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I disagree. replacing the bed isn't silly for commercial use. I don't want Cybertruck to change to support this, but I can recognize that when it comes to commercial fleets, this is a big benefit for them. While they might not be seen so much around cities, it is a common practise. I have seen a lot of companies that tried manufacturing trucks for specific purposes (like some pump trucks i've worked with) and we saw companies like that go out of business because the demand just wasn't there. Modifying a regular truck was a more practical solution for a lot of companies

Last edited:

Deleted member 3884

I'm a huge fan of the CT. I pre-ordered the dual motor and I'm excited to get my truck.

I don't think the CT will outsell F series or Silverado for a few reason. I know how brand loyal some people are. Talking with people about how I'm interested in getting a Tesla I hear a lot of "how are you going to charge it on the road?", "what if you want to drive a Tesla to Florida? How many charges would that be?" I think people are unsure of how electric cars work. It's a new a different technology.

I hope over time people will see the advantages of EVs and I really do hope the CT becomes a best selling truck. I'm planning on long term and keeping my CT 10 years plus. I hope to show many people that EVs are the future.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I disagree. replacing the bed isn't silly for commercial use.
But what do most add to a bed replacement?

Storage: Cybertruck has it.
Locking cover and custom floor: Cybertruck has it.
Structural sides to mount stuff: Cybertruck has it.
Flat bed ramp: Cybertruck has it.

Beyond that we're looking at tankers, extensions, and car-haulers, right? Not exactly that largest segments of modded trucks.

Those bare side walls of the Cybertruck exoskeleton are the rails that truck modders tear the bed off to get to. They should actually be stiffer and easier to fit equipment to because they're further out and around the load.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The Cybertruck doesn't compete with the bulk of F-150 sales. It is a direct competitor to the Raptor, the Limited models and everyone who gets a 150 because the like space, lifestyle, convenience for family, etc. This is a big market in and of itself, and I think Tesla could surpass Ford for these customers. It's also the lucrative part of the market, with great margins.

Where the CT can't compete is in the low-end, where cost of entry is a factor. The base model trucks, the work trucks, every company that needs to customize the bed/body easily. I don't know Ford's breakdown by version, but i suspect the cheap vehicle/work truck volume is at least half of those 900,000.

Tesla will battle for the other half of enthusiast/status/family cruiser, and I think they will do well.

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The primary reason I read in negative comments why X group will not want CT is essentially "because that is the way it always has been."

How will you drive it to Florida? That is so easily fixed by education. Look at the map here, Bob. See all those red dots? Those are charging stations, think of them like gas stations, but for electricity. Ooh. Ah. Oh.

Modders will learn to adapt and many Will thrive at the challenge. Let me at that bad boy!

Too many people get stuck thinking that the way it is now is the way it will always be. It won't, times change.

Last edited:

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No it’s not. It’s about quality and function. It’s about range. It’s about durability. It’s about ease of charging. It’s about toughness and towing abilities. It’s about luxury for some. Did I mention range?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If we are going to talk about selling lots and lots of cars. Affordability is going to be a huge factor and probably one of the most significant. Range, quality, luxury and towing is nice and definitely something i'm looking at and i'm sure a lot of people here are looking at that, but I know a ton of truck owners that don't really drive that far away and hardly ever tow anything. I'll even assume that most people getting a trimotor aren't going to be towing 14000lbs, I know I won't. I would think that a base F-150 is going to be good enough for most people and it's a cheaper option which is why it sells so well

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It's crazy to even think that the Tesla Cybertruck could ever surpass the Ford F-150, but anything is possible.
Our friend Ben Sullins recently revealed that he's not going to buy a Tesla Cybertruck. This is not to say he's not planning to get another electric vehicle, however. Instead, the popular and long-time Tesla owner and social media influencer has reserved a Rivian R1T.
Just because the Cybertruck isn't the right electric pickup truck for Sullins doesn't mean it's not worth covering. In this video, he asks if the upcoming Tesla pickup can become the top-selling truck in the States. While anything is possible, and Tesla continues to prove the "impossible," some would call this a huge stretch. Still, there's no way to know what the future holds.
To become the best-selling truck in America, the Tesla Cybertruck has to outsell the Ford F-150. Not only is the F-150 Ford's best-selling product and the best-selling truck in the U.S. for years, but it also outsells all other vehicles. In fact, it is near the top of the list for the highest number of sales in history. In 2019 alone, Ford sold almost 900,000 F-150 pickup trucks. Sullins also wonders if the Cybertruck will outsell the F-150 Electric, which is honestly a much more realistic possibility.
Tesla is still a small-scale automaker. It has certainly sold plenty of Model 3 sedans, so much so that the electric car has outsold many gas-powered rivals. However, Tesla has never sold 900,000 vehicles in a year. It may be a few years before the Silicon Valley automaker achieves that number with its entire fleet, let alone a single model. At the same time, Ford hasn't even officially unveiled its upcoming electric F-150. So, once it does, who knows how long it will be before it arrives, how many Ford will build, and how well it will sell.

https://insideevs.com/features/441540/video-tesla-cybertruck-outsell-ford-f-150/
Ben Sullins is an influencer inside of a kind of hyper focused EV community.

You want an influencer? Joe Rogan.

What happens when Joe Rogan gets his Cybertruck?

Damn. Get your reservations now folks.

Cybertruck is going to rule the roost.

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ben Sullins is an influencer inside of a kind of hyper focused EV community.
You want an influencer? Joe Rogan.
What happens when Joe Rogan gets his Cybertruck?
Cybertruck is going to rule the roost.
Could not agree with you more. You saw the video reaction of Jamie Foxx test driving his employee’s model 3. Imagine HIM driving a Cybertruck on and off road.
Sponsored