Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Original plan: Buy the CyberTruck to pull our full-timer-RV after retirement. Put my wife's pre-AutoPilot Model S on Turo and my FSD Model 3 into the RoboTaxi fleet to supplement our income.😃🤑

Latest reality: The wife's getting cold feet about full-timer-RVing 😕
I still want to go RVing so the wife will need her car (and hates the ride quality in my M3) for daily stuff between when she flies to meet me for short jaunts of RV life when I pass thru idyllic locales. 😣
AND there is no RoboTaxi fleet (and I don't envision one anytime soon)😫

Trade in, or sell 3rd party is its likely future. 😶
Sponsored

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
I bought many used cars before buying my first new car, and after that I bought a slightly used car from a fleet dealer, so I understand that point. Now that Hertz and others are buying electric cars for their rental fleets these cars will enter the user-car market and be available to lower-income drivers. That said, and at least in California, there are subsidies for lower-income households to buy electric cars, and it is in the neighborhood of $8,000 in additional rebates. That is HUGE on top of the federal rebate and the price reductions. Did you see the Cleanerwatt youtube video comparing the cost of a 2023 Model 3 compared to the cost of a 2023 Prius? Even Steven over 5 years:

Just watched - incredible that even up against a Prius the economics still favor the M3 in the short term.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Baller here, but my wife says I'm actually not. Who you gonna believe. :cool:

This is my plan of action:
1) Convince my wife to trade in her Bolt, take my Model X, and then add the CT as our second car.
2) When that fails, trade in the Model X (assuming I can get ~$65k for it or so).
3) If I can't get the trade value on the X, begrudgingly accept that my X is still a phenomenal car and I don't need to actually have a CT right now.
4) Buy it anyway and convince my brother to buy it off me but let me ride in it every once in a while.

I've gotten really used to having 3 rows in the X, and it wouldn't be the worst to keep it. Plus I rarely tow over the 5k lb limit anyway, and my box trailer is basically a bed on extra wheels.
You drive a X and your wife drives a Bolt? Wow, props to you. How did you work that one out?

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
My S is getting longer in the tooth, so when the CT is delivered, I'll sell the S. I'm 6'4" and I can't wait for the CT simply from the perspective of not having to duck and swoop into my (almost)daily driver. There are a multitude of other reasons, but that is probably the most immediate.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
You drive a X and your wife drives a Bolt? Wow, props to you. How did you work that one out?
The X was a "trade up" from our 2018 Pacifica Hybrid. We were being offerd more than we paid for the hybrid by Tesla, and the X was used and a great price. Even with the recent depreciation hits, my black book value vs purchase price is still nearly break even. And since I drove the minivan, I just naturally ended up with the Tesla.

Plus she likes the smaller, more nimble cars - which also works in my favor.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
My S is getting longer in the tooth, so when the CT is delivered, I'll sell the S. I'm 6'4" and I can't wait for the CT simply from the perspective of not having to duck and swoop into my (almost)daily driver. There are a multitude of other reasons, but that is probably the most immediate.
🤣 I feel ya'. I'm only 6'3" but since I keep a pair of readers on my head at all times, everytime I get into my wife's MS they crush into skull against the sun visor. 😫

OP
OP
Macgyverfever

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
🤣 I feel ya'. I'm only 6'3" but since I keep a pair of readers on my head at all times, everytime I get into my wife's MS they crush into skull against the sun visor. 😫
6'2" and +1 to surgical sunglass skull removal

rogerquad

First Name
roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mercedes 300cd, mercedes sl600, bmw 750il,
Occupation
contractor/landlord
Country flag
My plan is to drive the Y I just ordered until CT lottery # comes up and give the Y to my son as college graduation gift...He has 1.5 yrs to go, so come on mighty E, don't let me down down...

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
That has always been my plan.

My original 2018 Model 3 LR RWD I traded up at top dollar March 2022 on my now 2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance and this one will get traded (likely sold 3rd party) up to the Cybertruck.

My backup plan is a Fisker Ocean Extreme I have on order and hopefully available later this year in case of any more CT delays. 🤞

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I have a MYP and I've been actively trying to pay it down as much as possible before the CT comes out.

I figure if I can either pay it off, or more likely, refinance it with a small enough payment I'll keep both.

So far I owe sub 30k on it.

Took out a personal loan to consolidate all other debt that will be paid off in probably in summer. Currently sprucing up my silverado to sell and then we are trading my wife's civic when CT comes out.

Wally

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3 dual motor, Nissan Titan pick-up HD 4x4, Mazda MX-5, Suzi 4x4
Occupation
retired Special Forces, retired San Diego Fire Dept.
Country flag
keeping my 3, giving my pickup to one of my girls. Having driven my 3 for 4 years now, it is very hard to wait for the CT. I have Tesla solar w/Power Walls so every day I have a free 85% full car and it hurts when I go to Costco and wait in line to pay over $100 to fill the truck. No I do not count the cost of the solar as it has paid for itself and is saving me over $500 a month now. Just waiting with over 444,400 res in front of me.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Just bought a 2019 M3 LR w/ 25k miles, FSD, Accel boost, and white interior this fall for $51. Yes, I plan on selling trading in for CT. Thinking I will probably get mid $40s for it considering the software upgrades and will still have under 40k miles. So yes, I will take that hit to get my CT!

Had to upgrade to the M3 because my MS had over 120k miles and was depreciating like crazy. So the 3 was a stopgap financially.

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
Seems like a lot of us have multiple vehicles. I've got a kid who's 2 years away from driving and a 2012 Nissan Leaf, 19 SR+, and 2005 Toyota Tundra w/ 120k miles. Still debating what to do. No way are we getting rid of the Tesla, it's perfect. Haven't even had to replace the 12v yet and we are on year 4. Probably looking at trading in the Tundra, but keeping the Leaf as it's the perfect teenage car. Can't go far and I don't give a shit what happens to it. It's worth more to keep than to sell at this point.
Sponsored