Jeanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck pre-order.
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I have two tri-motor full self driving on order. I really don't expect to ever get them. The one thing we know about Elon is that he does not make his commitments and gets distracted easily. He is just a frontman for the brands, but he has hired smart people. In general, I would also hope that if the Cybertrucks do get built, they do not come out with the fit and finish problems his current vehicles have.
According to Sandy Munroe, the fit and finish problems were an early problem with Tesla. According to him and many others, they are basically in a class by themselves in the price range they are in to include fit and finish.
You are right on with the easily distracted, but must be cherry picking about him not making his commitments. In business, you set goals, make plans, and then life happens. You learn and modify. With innovative products things don't always go as planned. He has always said failure is a high probability in all his ventures, but he presses on. For successful innovation you have to fail a lot to learn. Its the secret to success, so I am told.
So I am not concerned about that particular FUD talking point.
My understanding from the people that are interested in data, vs spin, say he is always late, but almost always delivers; despite his often stated quote, "failure is a possible outcome."
Sponsored

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why does the wiper blade have to park in the vertical position? It should be concealed at the bottom of the windshield. Even the airplanes have it designed that way.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
But what is the “Best”?

With the Model X, the Plaid is much faster but the LR has 6% more range. So if the quad has 470 miles range and the LR 500 miles, which is the best? Particularly if the quad is $18% more expensive like the plaid is.

It would be very tough for me to pay more money for the lower range truck even if it has melt-your-face performance.
Well, I view a 6% range penalty as minor. It's not like the Quad in this scenario has a smaller battery, and both have outstanding range if you're talking 470+. If we we're talking a 500mile Tri vs a 300 mile Quad, I'd go with the tri.

When I say I'd get the best CT I could afford, I'm saying if I have the resources I'd check pretty much every option box. I just think it's pretty much the best, coolest vehicle ever made. To be clear, I couldn't right now if the CT was available for purchase. I'm hoping to get myself to that place in 12 months, but it may not happen. But any of the CT models will make their owners happy, I think.

That's a bit in contrast with other cars for me, and other Tesla's. I'd go for the Plaid Model S if I had cash to burn - the extra acceleration and carbon fiber interior are cool. But that price jump for an extra motor is a lot to swallow. The X I wouldn't touch the Plaid, mostly because it only offers the 6-seat option, which to me is by far the lest functional. No way I would go for the top of the line there, with that price premium.

I'll be curious what the price premium for the Quad is. I expect it will be quite a bit.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Why does the wiper blade have to park in the vertical position? It should be concealed at the bottom of the windshield. Even the airplanes have it designed that way.
Unlike most (all?) cars, the CT doesn't have a "kink" where the hood meets the windshield. No place to hide it. Stored horizontal it would be a drag nightmare. How they currently have it would reduce drag and also visually hide it from the interior along the a-pillar. There might be some creative way to hide it, but it's not obvious what that is thus far.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
But what is the “Best”?

With the Model X, the Plaid is much faster but the LR has 6% more range. So if the quad has 470 miles range and the LR 500 miles, which is the best? Particularly if the quad is $18% more expensive like the plaid is.

It would be very tough for me to pay more money for the lower range truck even if it has melt-your-face performance.
The difference might just be the wheels.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The difference might just be the wheels.
I’m not quite sure, but I think wheels and brakes are the only big hardware bits which are different on the MYP versus MYLR. On the Plaid there are significant differences.

Seems like with the Cybertruck there is so much which could be done as bundles or packages which could make for different trims with only subtle hardware changes plus software.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I don’t give a rats ass about the wipers as long as they work! Given the battery constrain Tesla might build smaller battery pack versions first like the MY standard range first at Giga Texas. A dual with 500 miles will be a dream come true!!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 5322

Remember the 9000T machine is only required for the rear cast. A normal 6000T machine can do the front. Assuming 1000 per day. 250 K per year should be easy.
So you wanna say 1000 per day???
That means every 1.44 min (86 seconds) a rear cast non stop for 24 hours????

Deleted member 5322

It is actually faster than 86 seconds. 1000 would be an average day after accounting for PM downtime.
That is what i mean. Model Y rear cast has maximum speed 60 sec. But it does not mean the Giga press works 24 hours non stop with this speed….
So IMO 1000 per 24 hours is unlikely even with the full ramp speed

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
That is what the 6000T unit can do.
Even if it is a little slower. There are over 100 days of maintenance or idle time to work with if 250k is the target for a year.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla is cranking out ~250k Model Y rear ends on the Gigapress in Fremont. Likewise they are cranking out some serious Model Y numbers in Shanghai.

They produced 450,000 cars out of Fremont last year and I believe more than half of them were Model Ys. And Tesla is talking about increasing capacity in Fremont by 50%. Not sure if they are planning on adding an additional Gigapress or not.

They are working on improving the cooling on the presses so they can increase production beyond 1/ Minute. I have little doubt they will hit that target.
Sponsored