Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I”m talking about on-road everyday use. Specifically after a large snowfall before or during the time the snow plows are out.

I have never, nor plan to, race on a track. I don’t understand why you keep implying I want four motors for racing. I want four motors for toque vector control of all motors to have the best traction/control of my vehicle in less than idea environments, Mainly snow and ice.

Are you suggesting instead of putting two motors in front, Tesla puts one motor, one differential and a clutch system on each wheel? Are you conflating the Semi’s ability to disconnect motors from the wheels with clutches that can provide slipping to emulate full torque vector control? These questions are not meant to be rhetorical. I truely don’t understand what you are saying.

The way I understand it, the Semi disconnect system is on or off. Connected, or free wheel. No variable torque vectoring performance.
No, I am not implying that the cyber truck even has torque vectoring at all.
But if it did, you really don't torque vector from the front, it's done from the rear in the plaid.
And as mentioned, It's not needed in a truck, it's a performance thing on a road course.

I dont really know why people are so hung up on 4 motors. It's complex, expensive, and they got 1500hp with 3. I know it's 1500hp from an insider, even though Tesla doesn't really put much out about HP figures.

At any rate - Tesla, if you haven't noticed, has kind of settled on tri-motor formats for big power...
4 motors just aren't needed.
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I dont really know why people are so hung up on 4 motors. It's complex, expensive, and they got 1500hp with 3.
Number of motors and total power are not linked. This is the third time I’ve stated that. You clearly are not listening to what I say, so I’m done with this conversation.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
The reason that track use is the logical conclusion to reach based on your contention that four motors is a beneficial requirement for optimal torque vectoring, is that the only drawbacks to using brakes for torque vectoring is that brakes decrease the power of the motors and is therefore slowing you down. I'll grant you that that is a fact, but one that only comes into play when the full power of the motors is being used. Aside from POSSIBLY Baja or Dakar style off road racing, off roading the CyberTruck will NEVER make full use of the power of even two motors.

There will never be an instance off roading your CyberTruck when braked torque vectoring will affect your performance in the least.
you're wasting your time with this one - he is incapable of logic and reason as it pertains to his precious image of 4-motors, which were never part of the design.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Number of motors and total power are not linked. This is the third time I’ve stated that. You clearly are not listening to what I say, so I’m done with this conversation.
The Cybertruck has 1500 HP, which it gets from two 600hp motors in the rear, and a 300 legacy motor in the front like is in so many other of their cars. I did not say that because it has 1500hp, it has to be 3 motors.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The reason that track use is the logical conclusion to reach based on your contention that four motors is a beneficial requirement for optimal torque vectoring, is that the only drawbacks to using brakes for torque vectoring is that brakes decrease the power of the motors and is therefore slowing you down. I'll grant you that that is a fact, but one that only comes into play when the full power of the motors is being used. Aside from POSSIBLY Baja or Dakar style off road racing, off roading the CyberTruck will NEVER make full use of the power of even two motors.

There will never be an instance off roading your CyberTruck when braked torque vectoring will affect your performance in the least.
It’s not a matter of making use of all the power of all 4 motors. Its a matter of being able to apply 100% power to the left front motor, 0% to the right front, 30% to the left rear, and 60% to the right rear. As you work to get over an obstacle where your right from tire is in the air or has zero traction.

I can see how others would want it. And I can see how it would give real life benefits.

Not that I’d be willing to pay to upgrade from 3 motors to 4 motors, particularly if it negatively impacts range. But I can see how it would be appealing to some.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
It’s not a matter of making use of all the power of all 4 motors. Its a matter of being able to apply 100% power to the left front motor, 0% to the right front, 30% to the left rear, and 60% to the right rear. As you work to get over an obstacle where your right from tire is in the air or has zero traction.

I can see how others would want it. And I can see how it would give real life benefits.

Not that I’d be willing to pay to upgrade from 3 motors to 4 motors, particularly if it negatively impacts range. But I can see how it would be appealing to some.
There are a plethora of highly capable off-road vehicles that do it with 1 motor, a transfer case, locking diffs, or some even synchros and electronic clutches.

Would it be cooler, yes, but it would add a lot of cost and complexity that simply isn't need for crawling over rocks, mud, sand, etc.

Torque vectoring is for performance on a road course, not off-road.
I'm still not sure why homeboy is hung up on that lol.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All of those items have a cost and weight and wear out. Seems like 4 motors whose software control can continuously improved may be cheaper in the long run and certainly less maintenance.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
All of those items have a cost and weight and wear out. Seems like 4 motors whose software control can continuously improved may be cheaper in the long run and certainly less maintenance.
Meh - we aren't really talking about ICE vs EV off-road merits. As, honestly, if you wanted to seriously wheel the answer is a jeep with solid locking axels and disconecting sway bars.

The challenge that EV's will have offroad (serious wheeling anyway) is that they put an awful lot of weight high where otherwise you have large axles underneath that can slide over rocks and be a lot less fragile than a permanent magnet 3-phase induction motor in an aluminum case down low.

This whole thing got derailed talking about torque vectoring when it's not even relevant.

People that want a 4 motor CT may get one, but I doubt it.
Telsa is pretty settled on 3 motor designs for power, performance, and efficiency.

There just isn't enough benefit to adding a 4rth motor to justify the increased cost and complexity.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag

That can be accomplished with brake torque vectoring with only two motors. First Principles. Quad-Motor is purely a flex for insecure people.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
If you're number is before 369,420 then you should probably get the raptor. You might not get the CT until 2026 if they even make it. Cancel your reservation and free up the $100 deposit for your raptor.
Well now we know what @kbolt's number in line is! ;)

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
There are a plethora of highly capable off-road vehicles that do it with 1 motor, a transfer case, locking diffs, or some even synchros and electronic clutches.

Would it be cooler, yes, but it would add a lot of cost and complexity that simply isn't need for crawling over rocks, mud, sand, etc.

Torque vectoring is for performance on a road course, not off-road.
I'm still not sure why homeboy is hung up on that lol.
Sounds like complex manufacturing. Thoughts and prayers to your tri motor dreamz

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That can be accomplished with brake torque vectoring with only two motors. First Principles. Quad-Motor is purely a flex for insecure people.
You can simulate torque vectoring using brakes, but it is not the same. Also, the configuration you are talking about is itself quite complex. Very possibly more complex and more expensive than just adding a second motor on the axel.

I find this argument silly. It’s quite clear that from a performance perspective and engineering perspective 4 motors is going to be more performant. As I said above, I’m not willing to pay extra for that performance myself, but if some people are willing to pay for it, more power to them.

My lingering thoughts on this have always been around efficiency and range. If 3 motors gets me 2% more range, I‘d prefer that to having a 4th motor. I know the 4 will be better at some things, but for me, range is king.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
My sons do a lot of Rock Crawling. Their vehicles of choice have always been small older Toyota trucks/Forerunners or Suzuki Samurais. Has to to with a solid front axle, I'm told. But most of them install Lockers, both Front and Rear, in order to perform. These are Air actuated mechanisms that lock the differential. You can't just leave it locked. So they engage it in the middle of doing sketchy stuff. Four independent motors would make this much easier.

Of course no way they'd have the coin to buy a CT. And after riding with them, I wouldn't take mine through the stuff they do...
Tesla Cybertruck 📈 Q4 2022 Tesla Earnings! Cybertruck Production Remains ON TRACK! Status Still Sits at Tooling KEAX8408.JPG

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My sons do a lot of Rock Crawling. Their vehicles of choice have always been small older Toyota trucks/Forerunners or Suzuki Samurais. Has to to with a solid front axle, I'm told. But most of them install Lockers, both Front and Rear, in order to perform. These are Air actuated mechanisms that lock the differential. You can't just leave it locked. So they engage it in the middle of doing sketchy stuff. Four independent motors would make this much easier.

Of course no way they'd have the coin to buy a CT. And after riding with them, I wouldn't take mine through the stuff they do...
KEAX8408.JPG
Really curious to see if/ when the Cybertruck modding community emerges. Probably won’t be as many options as these guys have, but I could see lifting the truck 2-4” and putting even bigger tires on it. A Cybertruck with 24” of clearance?? Might be a thing for some people.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Sounds like complex manufacturing. Thoughts and prayers to your tri motor dreamz
Not surprising that you would take what I said out of context when talking about jeeps, land rovers, et al.

“Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.”

― Ricky Gervais
Sponsored