Corrosion resistance in Cybertruck may not be perfect

Cyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I dig this thread. One of the more informative in terms of science :)
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The 3mm thick SS exoskeleton is one of the main features that sold me. This all electric pickup is going to be a street legal tank that civilians can order online. The exciting part is that it's less than a year away from production!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess that the ubiquitous salt on upstate NY roads will always be a problem. I’ll try the sealants.
FYI the government of Alberta has just released an advisory to drivers to the effect that they should not allow moose to lick the salt off their cars. Tax dollars at work!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
FYI the government of Alberta has just released an advisory to drivers to the effect that they should not allow moose to lick the salt off their cars. Tax dollars at work!
Do you want moose hanging around your car? If they trip, they could take out a truck!

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Do you want moose hanging around your car? If they trip, they could take out a truck!

-Crissa
I’d be concerned with moose deciding to hang out on highways to lick cars as they pass. That would bring the highway system to a standstill. Like trying to drive at speed through Yellowstone.

Plus imagine all the moose at the side of the road with their tongues hanging out. The highway would become a rolling car wash.

Last edited:

DarthMuffin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Spark EV, Cybertruck reserved
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
I always thought the "X" in 30X was for SpaceX's stainless formula. For a while they said Starship was going to be made out of their proprietary "30X" stainless alloy. I believe since then they've changed to a more standard formula, maybe that's just for prototypes?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I always thought the "X" in 30X was for SpaceX's stainless formula. For a while they said Starship was going to be made out of their proprietary "30X" stainless alloy. I believe since then they've changed to a more standard formula, maybe that's just for prototypes?
I think the X was 'we aren't using a standard one'. But there's been no news that Cybertruck wouldn't be made from the same steel. They're even building a steel prep plant directly between the two factories in Texas.

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
You can't stamp rolled stainless steel, and they haven't had the nerve to do something different, hence all the talking about the cybertrucks looks.
Actually you can stamp stainless steel, but it's very hard on the dies. A couple of times, in 1936 and in 1960, the officials at Allegheny Ludlum Steel Division collaborated with Ford to produce six stainless steel Ford Deluxe models, and then again in 1960, two Thunderbirds were produced, all to promote the new metal. The top salesman in a division was given the honor of driving it for a year. Finally in 1967, three Lincoln Continentals were made in stainless steel. Allegheny still uses two of these for special events. Out of 11 cars made, 9 are still in use. To make the body parts, Ford waited until the end of production year, because the process was super hard on the dies. According to a retired Allegheny Ludlum employee, the dies were ruined by stamping the stainless steel parts.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Can you compare Fluid Film to, say, cosmoline? I know the later is damn expensive, and hard to find. We purchased several pails of cosmoline to coat a 175 ton press brake that sat outside for 6 months before being installed. It was near impossible to remove the stuff!

We use Rhomar (https://rhomar.com/products/armour-seal/) on the trailers Also expensive, messy with overspray, and bubbles up when applied too thick. It does, however, seem to work well when it's properly applied.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I wonder what steps will be taken to mitigate galvanic corrosion now that we know the Cybertruck will have a stainless body on an aluminum sub frame.
I was concerned about this from the beginning, will the Cybertruck be all stainless or will just the exoskeleton be stainless and then rot from the inside out.
I'm guessing the mega casting will be insulated from the stainless and sealed from outside elements at minimum.
However, I'm still not getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about the potential galvanic corrosion problem.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
However, I'm still not getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about the potential galvanic corrosion problem.
This is a company that has put in disparate metals in all their models. All contain some amount of aluminum.
This is a company that makes batteries, or at least, assembles and is involved involved in the base metals of.
This is a company that has to deal with multiple base voltages, layered grounds, and protect static sensitive components.

You really think they'll forget about galvanic corrosion?

-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Even my BMW wagon has aluminum suspension sub frames.

The subframes bolt to the steel body with rubber bushings isolators.

And even though the chassis is steel, it has aluminum tailgate and panels.

I'm confident subframe to chassis won't be an issue.

The rest remains to be seen, though

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can you compare Fluid Film to, say, cosmoline? I know the later is damn expensive, and hard to find. We purchased several pails of cosmoline to coat a 175 ton press brake that sat outside for 6 months before being installed. It was near impossible to remove the stuff!

We use Rhomar (https://rhomar.com/products/armour-seal/) on the trailers Also expensive, messy with overspray, and bubbles up when applied too thick. It does, however, seem to work well when it's properly applied.
I used to work for a company installing printing presses. They were coated in cosmoline for storage and shipping. I remember helping to remove it and it was not easy.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
This is a company that has put in disparate metals in all their models. All contain some amount of aluminum.
This is a company that makes batteries, or at least, assembles and is involved involved in the base metals of.
This is a company that has to deal with multiple base voltages, layered grounds, and protect static sensitive components.

You really think they'll forget about galvanic corrosion?

-
[

-Crissa
This is also a company that manufactures cars that corrode in the salt just like any other manufacturer. I was hoping that the Cybertruck would last much, MUCH longer thinking that the entire structure would be stainless steel (as i think many of us did). But now I find out it has an aluminum subframe just like other Teslas. Sure, there won't be any rust holes in the body, but what about the aluminum sub frame structural component? So, is Cybertruck going to be just as susceptible to corrosion because of the galvanic corrosion? Seems reasonable. And if not, what have they done to mitigate the problem? Is there some magic "sauce" that they are going to use to make Cybertruck last longer against corrosion of the sub frame than other vehicles that try to combat galvanic corrosion?[/QUOTE]