Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Link: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-exoskeleton-supply-chain-update/

Tesla explains its Cybertruck exoskeleton supply strategy

October 1, 2021

Tesla has been vocal about the supply chain challenges this year due to the COVID pandemic. At the recent earnings call, Wall Street analyst Trip Chowdhry from Global Equities Research asked about the Cybertruck’s stainless steel exoskeleton supplier.

“Who is the supplier looking at if you look at the exoskeleton steel? Is the supply for that material sufficient for immediate ramp-up, say, in ’23, ’24 time for Cybertruck?” asked Chowdhry.

Lars Moravy, Tesla Vice President of Vehicle Engineering, answered Chowdhry’s question. He also provided some information about the Cybertruck’s development in terms of supply chain and production.

“Yeah. Sure. So obviously, as we’ve noted in the past, we developed our own stainless-steel grade for the exterior of Cybertruck to meet both the durability and corrosion requirements required for an automotive world. With this raw material and others, as Drew mentioned, we continue to look at multiple sources,” Moravy replied.

Previously, Teslarati reported about one Tesla steel supplier for the Cybertruck, named Steel Dynamics. The Tesla steel supplier has a facility in Texas with an estimated worth of $1.7 billion. It is located only 167 miles away from Tesla’s Gigafactory in the Lone Star State. Steel Dynamics plans to start operations at its Texas facility by the end of this year.

However, based on Moravy’s reply to Chowdhry, Tesla aims to receive steel supply from multiple vendors.

“We have made some early sourcing decisions in that, but I think we’ll keep that one internal, and we’ve already begun the first casting-ins of that. Rolling stainless isn’t so different from pulling any other material. It’s just about how hard the rollers are to get to that hardness level. And, you know, just like every manufacturing process we put in for every new vehicle, we’ll work with our suppliers and vendors to make sure those timelines and supplies meet the need and demand of our customers,” he stated.

Given global supply chain challenges, Tesla’s move to source supply from multiple vendors may be a good move. It is unclear when the supply chain will stabilize, even as another year passes after the height of the COVID pandemic.

Tesla plans to start Cybertruck production once Giga Texas reaches total Model Y production capacity. Kirkhorn told investors at the earnings call that Tesla still aims to start Model Y production at Giga Texas and Giga Berlin by the end of the year. Although he tempered expectations, saying that Model Y deliveries from Tesla’s Austin and Berlin factories will not occur in 2021.
Sponsored

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Well, I guess I won't be holding my breath. This seems like evidence of a setback. My first impression was that the latest we would see production was 2022 and a final design by this year. I am guessing that we will not see a final version for another year given the progress thus far. Bummer. I was going to order the model Y after the CT but I now hold an irrational resentment towards the little Tesla SUV. First world problems I guess.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Well, I guess I won't be holding my breath. This seems like evidence of a setback. My first impression was that the latest we would see production was 2022 and a final design by this year. I am guessing that we will not see a final version for another year given the progress thus far. Bummer. I was going to order the model Y after the CT but I now hold an irrational resentment towards the little Tesla SUV. First world problems I guess.
With the 4680 Panasonic pilot in March and awaiting the CT gigapress you have to wait - however it was always stated that production would start late in '22 with ramp up in '23. Nothing has changed.
Don't listen to FUD.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
At the earnings call they gave every indication that they are on track for 2022 production start.

As you may have seen recently in social media, we've built a number of alphas and are currently testing those to further mature the design. And while those point out a few key additions like rear steer, there are also a number of smaller or less visible improvements though the product is largely true to the initial vision. We'll continue to work through the product in the beta stages that we're in now and look to launch that by next year.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Tesla plans to start Cybertruck production once Giga Texas reaches total Model Y production capacity.
Those of you that are in the know with Tesla ramp up history; Does one year seem reasonable to get to “production capacity” for Y given where the factory is today?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Those of you that are in the know with Tesla ramp up history; Does one year seem reasonable to get to “production capacity” for Y given where the factory is today?
That is roughly what it took to get Shanghai online.

Unless there is some US/ Texas/ regulation, labor or supply shortage, it seems reasonable.

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
Like you, I was disappointed about the delay (or more correctly, just not meeting the optimistic "maybe" of getting things going earlier than planned). We were all hopeful because of how far ahead of schedule Fremont Model Y ramp went.

But here's another perspective to consider. I know it's "silver lining" at best, but what I've been realizing lately is that giving Tesla engineers another 9+ months to work on CT means that we're essentially getting a "v2" with a lot of improvements (rear wheel steering, no door handles, etc.) that likely would not have happened if production was rushed.

So in essence, for every month that goes by with attention payed to model Y ramp, the CT will also end up as a slightly better vehicle. And with R1T and other trucks coming out, the competition is also going to encourage Tesla to improve even further.

I know, cold comfort, but something to counterbalance the disappointment of long waits. It's not just idle waiting, you'll get something better in the end.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
That is roughly what it took to get Shanghai online.

Unless there is some US/ Texas/ regulation, labor or supply shortage, it seems reasonable.

It is possible Giga Texas ramp could be faster than Shanghai.
Remember Texas made Model Y has significant improvements to assembly
Fewer discrete parts
one piece front under-body casting (replace 140 parts and all the welding of them)
one piece rear under-body casting (replace 140 parts and all the welding of them)
4680 structural pack (from 4K # cells to 960 cells, easier body to pack mounting)
Seats & console mounted to battery pack
Less time with Q&A from fewer panel gaps & other mis-alignments due to fewer parts

Tesla starts production of Model Y with massive single-piece rear casting
Fred Lambert
Jan. 11th 2021
https://electrek.co/2021/01/11/tesla-starts-production-model-y-massive-single-piece-rear-casting/

Last edited:

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Like you, I was disappointed about the delay (or more correctly, just not meeting the optimistic "maybe" of getting things going earlier than planned). We were all hopeful because of how far ahead of schedule Fremont Model Y ramp went.

But here's another perspective to consider. I know it's "silver lining" at best, but what I've been realizing lately is that giving Tesla engineers another 9+ months to work on CT means that we're essentially getting a "v2" with a lot of improvements (rear wheel steering, no door handles, etc.) that likely would not have happened if production was rushed.

So in essence, for every month that goes by with attention payed to model Y ramp, the CT will also end up as a slightly better vehicle. And with R1T and other trucks coming out, the competition is also going to encourage Tesla to improve even further.

I know, cold comfort, but something to counterbalance the disappointment of long waits. It's not just idle waiting, you'll get something better in the end.
Thanks for the pep talk but the money maker always gets the attention and model Y is making Tesla money. I have a feeling the profit margins are smaller than first projected on the CT and now we (CT orders) are being sand bagged. I will be happy to be wrong if the CT rolls out next year but I have my doubts. Prove me wrong please.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It is possible Giga Texas ramp could be faster than Shanghai.
It makes sense. They’ve had a lot of practice at spinning up Model 3/Y lines now.

But… They want to get more capacity out of Texas too. “Volume Production” in Texas likely means north of half a million Model Ys/ year. I think they will start Cybertruck production before they hit that number, but it’s food for thought.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Thanks for the pep talk but the money maker always gets the attention and model Y is making Tesla money. I have a feeling the profit margins are smaller than first projected on the CT and now we (CT orders) are being sand bagged. I will be happy to be wrong if the CT rolls out next year but I have my doubts. Prove me wrong please.
If nothing else, watching Tesla has illustrated 2 things.

Delays happen. They aren’t inevitable, but they aren’t uncommon either.

People are almost always satisfied with the end product.

You and I both know nobody is “Proving” anything until next year at which point this conversation will be long forgotten. Not sure why you even make that comment.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Huh? This is a place for open comment. Not sure why what. You spent the effort commenting on not being sure of a comment? My brain hurts.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Huh? This is a place for open comment. Not sure why what. You spent the effort commenting on not being sure of a comment? My brain hurts.
How is someone supposed to “Prove” something which won’t happen for 12+ months unless we actually wait 12+ months?

Why people bother with that kind of posturing is annoying to begin with, but when it involves ridiculous timeframes, doubly so.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
If nothing else, watching Tesla has illustrated 2 things.

Delays happen. They aren’t inevitable, but they aren’t uncommon either.

People are almost always satisfied with the end product.

You and I both know nobody is “Proving” anything until next year at which point this conversation will be long forgotten. Not sure why you even make that comment.
Getting to be right can be very unrewarding. As age sets in, I have few years left to enjoy the things of youth. One third of what I project as useful time left for me has been spent waiting for a new toy that soon will no longer be necessary. As I had predicted, Elon laid out in black and white at earrings call. They will continue to build what earns a profit until such time that the CT can be produced at profit.
Sponsored