Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I am %100 in the camp of simple is better. I can’t imagine this is even remotely as durable as a simple rear end. This feature is super awesome for a mall rated truck. How long before major work from off road abuse? I guess we’ll see…
I thought it was a gimmick, but then I read threads on the forum here.

It's been proven time and again to improve performance on the moose test with and without a trailer; it isn't just handy pulling a trailer, it actually recovers from sway.

I just want it because I have to do a tight turn to park here in the mountains. But knowing it's actually safer... That's why it's there. Fewer trucks thrown into the ditch from winds or jack-knifed and I think it's all good.

Not to mention likely the reason for a year delay.

Musk is hell bent on not being showed up he's now actively slowing EV adoption.

Musk needs to go as CEO.
Where would the batteries and chips have come from during the pandemic? His company grew while the rest shrank.

-Crissa
Sponsored

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Not to mention likely the reason for a year delay.

Musk is hell bent on not being showed up he's now actively slowing EV adoption.

Musk needs to go as CEO.
I think waiting for a IDRA press and figuring out how to origami a bent steel truck(from home, COVID restricted engineering) has also been some cause for delays too. I hugely disagree that he should step down, but ultimately we are watching Apple all over in front of our very eyes and I wouldn't be surprised to see him step down eventually if it follows that trial.

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
If that rod is part of the 4ws linkage it looks like it will be well protected supported and simple. The somewhat limited range of motion also keeps it simpler will less exposed length and forces imposed like the front axle.

Maybe there will be a way to center and lock it out in the event it does get damaged in the sticks.

1649615912598.png
Sure the rods protected, but now your introducing ball joints, tie rod ends and steering gears for the sake of some low speed maneuverability. My understanding of the laws of the universe is that more parts = more parts to break.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am %100 in the camp of simple is better. I can’t imagine this is even remotely as durable as a simple rear end. This feature is super awesome for a mall rated truck. How long before major work from off road abuse? I guess we’ll see…
You do realize that Cybertrucks are vastly more likely to be found parking at Costco than crawling up 4WD trails right?

Even people who take their Cybertrucks up 4WD trails are likely to spend more time at Costco, the mall, or parking at work. Lots of them will spend hours per day crawling around construction sites or pulling trailers to customer locations. All of these things benefit from 4 wheel steering.

Tesla isn’t designing a Jeep Wrangler competitor. It is a general purpose truck which will serve many many roles. Most of those roles will benefit from having 4 wheel steering.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
My F150 has an 8' bed and is an extended cab (21'7" w/o trailer ball installed) It does not make the 90 degree turn into a parking space. I am fascinated with this AWS concept as my truck makes use of 50' to turn in any culture-de-sac. Trailering - yes, I see the advantage but what is all the talk about safety? I'm thinking 70mph on the interstate, traveling 3 lengths behind the car in front of you when they toss up a 'gator' (remnants of tire retread come undone), you quickly swerve as you try to predict where this thing is headed. What happens to your vehicle, assuming AWS is not cutout at highway speeds, how does it affect the roll aspect (again, assuming Tesla's computer has not compensated for all this already)? Can anyone explain what would happen in a normal vehicle if you swerved at highway speeds with AWS?

bradmente

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I live in Florida and I used to sell solar panels. One question that people invariably asked was, "What happens to the panels if a hurricane comes?" And, admittedly, it's a seemingly reasonable question. But, the answer is that you'll have a whole lot more to worry about if any hurricane comes through that's powerful enough to rip the panels off their mounts or out of your roof.

Honestly, I'm always amazed at this thought process. Yes, it's true that non-existent parts don't break... But, I've owned many cars and none to date have needed any repairs related to the structural components of the steering assembly. (I have replaced a steering pump or two.)

Realistically, this as a non-issue. Any activity you're doing that would be rigorous enough to expect the rear steering to "break" is likely rigorous enough to break the front steering too. 😉

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
You do realize that Cybertrucks are vastly more likely to be found parking at Costco than crawling up 4WD trails right?

Even people who take their Cybertrucks up 4WD trails are likely to spend more time at Costco, the mall, or parking at work. Lots of them will spend hours per day crawling around construction sites or pulling trailers to customer locations. All of these things benefit from 4 wheel steering.

Tesla isn’t designing a Jeep Wrangler competitor. It is a general purpose truck which will serve many many roles. Most of those roles will benefit from having 4 wheel steering.
I’m just saying there is zero chance this doesn’t reduce durability. I just hope it’s optional.

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
I live in Florida and I used to sell solar panels. One question that people invariably asked was, "What happens to the panels if a hurricane comes?" And, admittedly, it's a seemingly reasonable question. But, the answer is that you'll have a whole lot more to worry about if any hurricane comes through that's powerful enough to rip the panels off their mounts or out of your roof.

Honestly, I'm always amazed at this thought process. Yes, it's true that non-existent parts don't break... But, I've owned many cars and none to date have needed any repairs related to the structural components of the steering assembly. (I have replaced a steering pump or two.)

Realistically, this as a non-issue. Any activity you're doing that would be rigorous enough to expect the rear steering to "break" is likely rigorous enough to break the front steering too. 😉
Every truck I’ve owned needed front end work over time. Never rear end work. This may change that. One of the greatest strengths of Tesla engineering is making things with FAR fewer parts. This breaks that mold entirely. And all to fix something that’s not really broken.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Yup! There are more rubicon Starbucks crawlers than anything out there. I know of few true off-roaders that go on trails all the time but they do everything else far more often than getting on the trails. Plus it’s way too long for a true off-roader but when it does the tight turning radius will help tremendously. If history has any indication Tesla always over build things so they last, have y’all seen the Tesla tear down of the motor? Compare to all other “competitors” the bearings from Tesla’s motor is absolutely gigantic.

Elon said himself the constrains are cells, cells and cells. To those who thinks delaying CT is slowing down EV adoption obviously don’t understand more models mean slower over all EV production/adoption. This is why Tesla focus on very few models but focus on making a boat load of them as supposed to have 100 models like VW.

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
Every truck I’ve owned needed front end work over time. Never rear end work. This may change that. One of the greatest strengths of Tesla engineering is making things with FAR fewer parts. This breaks that mold entirely. And all to fix something that’s not really broken.
That’s right! If humans didn’t have knees, no one would ever need a knee replacement surgery.
Not a good analogy really. I think better would be-legs working pretty good, let’s add a second knee.
Sponsored