Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And this isn't to say that the truck might not be able to do grid-tied AC, but the Powerwall is what has the circuitry to do the load-spreading. The Gateway is just... A Gateway. It turns the gate on and off.

-Crissa
Sponsored

rharl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
insurance
Country flag
Has anyone who has received and been approved for the gateway also have a gas backup generator? We have one on an automatic transfer switch. Hoping it’s possible to install the gateway as a second backup power option. From the diagram showing the solar and powerwall as a second option it would suggest that’s possible but hoping for confirmation. Really hoping for my survey soon, but in its absence will settle for info from someone ahead of me :)
Yeah that is my set up already have a natural gas generator and trander switch. Just met with installer today we are installing the power share next to current set up. I can only use one at a time jumping the power share which is essentialy a transfer switch off my current transfer switch. He kinda. Balked at first but we talked it through and as long as I understand it will not be automatic as my other generator will be in that role . It will be an option if I flip that switch off and power share to on then it will be primary.
Install is $2,000 I am in south with and easy access and generally uncomplicated install.

rharl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cyber truck tri motor
Occupation
insurance
Country flag
Yeah that is my set up already have a natural gas generator and trander switch. Just met with installer today we are installing the power share next to current set up. I can only use one at a time jumping the power share which is essentialy a transfer switch off my current transfer switch. He kinda. Balked at first but we talked it through and as long as I understand it will not be automatic as my other generator will be in that role . It will be an option if I flip that switch off and power share to on then it will be primary.
Install is $2,000 I am in south with and easy access and generally uncomplicated install.
Also he recommended no ac and just switch on lights refrigerators and turn off non essential breakers of course. This power share is a cool option but not ideal . Natural gas whole house generator is different than my car can keep lights on in an emergency Situation.

tripzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
And this isn't to say that the truck might not be able to do grid-tied AC, but the Powerwall is what has the circuitry to do the load-spreading. The Gateway is just... A Gateway. It turns the gate on and off.

-Crissa
After a bit of poking I think this is probably correct. The gateway for the v2h share is a bit different than a typical powerwall gateway in that it has transformers in it to deal with the lack of a neutral line from the truck. Doesn't look like it has logic for grid matching. Just talks to the truck if the grid goes down.

Source:

In other news I got approved and they are telling me there will be a software update in June that enables v2h.

tripzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The installer quoted me $4k for the install. They haven't come over to see the site yet, so I don't know if that'll change (hopefully changes lower).

I asked about the powerwall 3, and he said I can add it later. Do we know for sure that export to grid is possible with a powerwall coupled with a cybertruck V2H? Has anyone done it yet?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Has anyone who has received and been approved for the gateway also have a gas backup generator? We have one on an automatic transfer switch. Hoping it’s possible to install the gateway as a second backup power option. From the diagram showing the solar and powerwall as a second option it would suggest that’s possible but hoping for confirmation. Really hoping for my survey soon, but in its absence will settle for info from someone ahead of me :)
Did you ever get an answer? I gave a generator, non-Tesla solar, and no batteries. I am having power sharing installed next week and they told me that both the gateway and generator will still work.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The installer quoted me $4k for the install. They haven't come over to see the site yet, so I don't know if that'll change (hopefully changes lower).

I asked about the powerwall 3, and he said I can add it later. Do we know for sure that export to grid is possible with a powerwall coupled with a cybertruck V2H? Has anyone done it yet?
They did a virtual walkthrough of my setup. I too asked about a power wall in the future, but why would we bother when we have a CT as a power supply that is 10x the capacity of a power wall? It would take 2 power walls to run my house, so about $25,000. For $4k I get much more.

tripzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
They did a virtual walkthrough of my setup. I too asked about a power wall in the future, but why would we bother when we have a CT as a power supply that is 10x the capacity of a power wall? It would take 2 power walls to run my house, so about $25,000. For $4k I get much more.

V2H with the current gateway only works when the grid goes down. If you want to do export to grid or just power your home during peak rates, you can't with the current gateway. It's my understanding that you can do that with the powerwall, but I don't know how V2H works with the powerwall. Optimally, the powerwall would just use the truck as an expansion battery, but it's unclear.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
V2H with the current gateway only works when the grid goes down. If you want to do export to grid or just power your home during peak rates, you can't with the current gateway. It's my understanding that you can do that with the powerwall, but I don't know how V2H works with the powerwall. Optimally, the powerwall would just use the truck as an expansion battery, but it's unclear.
I am grid tied with my solar and expect it to remain so.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gateway lets you have a non-grid-tied solution - like the generator sub panel.

You'd need batteries to absorb the solar and a controller compatible with the Gateway to island behind it like Powerwall does, but Tesla is... Not great with compatibility.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Gateway lets you have a non-grid-tied solution - like the generator sub panel.

You'd need batteries to absorb the solar and a controller compatible with the Gateway to island behind it like Powerwall does, but Tesla is... Not great with compatibility.

-Crissa
No, it isn’t, and that is why I am fine with things the way they are w/o a “power wall”. I am fine being grid tied. I hope it all works out.

akenis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MYLR and (Apr-Jun CT AWD)
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

Because you don't have jack if the truck isn't home and plugged in! Truck has less LRA for AC units. Can't load shift if truck isn't home.

akenis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MYLR and (Apr-Jun CT AWD)
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag

So unclear. So complicated. I think the benefits of having a Powerwall 3 in the system are immense (and in some areas with rebates, Powerwall install is cheaper than install for PowerShare).

Will VTH with the grid be an option in the future?

Will VTG be an option in the future?

Probably not without PW in the system.

But even thought Tesla PowerShare learn more says that you can add PowerWall later, we just got this back from Tesla:

Hello Andrew!

Here is some information we got back from Tesla regarding the Powerwall and Powershare Gateway.

-------------------------------------------------------------

“We apologize for the delay. Thank you for sending your Powershare design question in for review.

It is possible to install Powerwall units downstream of a Powershare Gateway, however this is not a recommended solution as it requires contact Tesla for assistance with the commissioning due to multiple “Site-Controllers” being on the property.

If the customer is planning to get a Powerwall unit at the same time as getting a Powershare System installed, then we would recommend that the system would be installing either the Backup Gateway 2, Gateway 3, or Backup Switch as the relay device for the Powerwall units rather than installing the Powershare Gateway (Gateway 3V).

If the customer is planning on getting a Powerwall system in the future but wants to get Powershare System installed immediately, then we would recommend installing the Universal Wall Connector with the Powershare Gateway. In the future, additional Powerwall 3 units can be installed into the backup circuit and with Tesla assistance the system can be commissioned properly.”

So should I skip the 3V gateway that I already paid for, and pay more for a more standard PowerWall install?

tripzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
So unclear. So complicated. I think the benefits of having a Powerwall 3 in the system are immense (and in some areas with rebates, Powerwall install is cheaper than install for PowerShare).

Will VTH with the grid be an option in the future?

Will VTG be an option in the future?

Probably not without PW in the system.

But even thought Tesla PowerShare learn more says that you can add PowerWall later, we just got this back from Tesla:

Hello Andrew!

Here is some information we got back from Tesla regarding the Powerwall and Powershare Gateway.

“We apologize for the delay. Thank you for sending your Powershare design question in for review.

It is possible to install Powerwall units downstream of a Powershare Gateway, however this is not a recommended solution as it requires contact Tesla for assistance with the commissioning due to multiple “Site-Controllers” being on the property.

If the customer is planning to get a Powerwall unit at the same time as getting a Powershare System installed, then we would recommend that the system would be installing either the Backup Gateway 2, Gateway 3, or Backup Switch as the relay device for the Powerwall units rather than installing the Powershare Gateway (Gateway 3V).

If the customer is planning on getting a Powerwall system in the future but wants to get Powershare System installed immediately, then we would recommend installing the Universal Wall Connector with the Powershare Gateway. In the future, additional Powerwall 3 units can be installed into the backup circuit and with Tesla assistance the system can be commissioned properly.”

So should I skip the 3V gateway that I already paid for, and pay more for a more standard PowerWall install?
So it's not ready is what I'm parsing... Seems odd that the 3V gateway would be incompatible with the powerwall. Perhaps it's the neutral line stuff the 3V gateway has to do.

RoboTaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Beast when the gods bless me
Country flag
I was told "no" and given 6 months of free supercharging. I still very much want my wall charger though. Hope they don't think 6 months of supercharging is equal. I very much disagree and almost never supercharge(my Model 3 hadn't been supercharged in over a year before I sold it last month)

They said a year. I screenshot that shit because I knew I couldn’t install PowerShare.
Tesla Cybertruck ⚡️ PowerShare Install, Specs, Details confirmed! No load shifting (for now) IMG_0961
Sponsored