Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
You are correct. Man, my memory sucks.
mine wasnt much better - I had to google images of an F350 real quick to see if I was misremembering

In your (our?) defense, when the doors are shut from the inside the door’s front surround trim appears as a portion of the pillar trim
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
mine wasnt much better - I had to google images of an F350 real quick to see if I was misremembering

In your (our?) defense, when the doors are shut from the inside the door’s front surround trim appears as a portion of the pillar trim
LOL. That's fair. And, with the assist handle (oh sh!t handle), that A pillar+door trim was substantial.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Starting production this month? Funny, Tesla hasn’t hired assembly line workers yet. We are months away from SOP.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Starting production this month? Funny, Tesla hasn’t hired assembly line workers yet. We are months away from SOP.
Production starts in 2 weeks. :)

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
The Model Y line would disagree with that statement. They are working the Y line, of course, but still. When I was working at GM doing industrial engineering work on the cross-body harness line, would you care to know how many iterations it took to train someone to work at a typical station? Less than a day. Way less than a day in most cases.

My take: Once the onboarding is complete, Tesla will use the same industrial engineers who are designing the workstations which, at this point, has been done for a while and are waiting for validation, to train new employees while leveraging some of the experienced Y line personnel in supervisory roles.

If the line is set up, it won't take months to start producing Cybertrucks. We are talking about a matter of days to start production. It'll be slow at first, no doubt, as they iron out the kinks. But Tesla has experience designing and starting up production lines and having just done that at GigaTexas bodes well for a faster start than normal.

"But this is a whole new process and Elon said it's going to be hard."
- someone, I'm sure

Well, no. The process in assembling vehicles is not going to be new. Will they reorder parts of production? Absolutely. Will assembling folded stainless steel to the inner panels be different than other vehicles? Yes. But I'll wager it'll be about as easy to glue panels as it is to mechanically fasten them.

I think it's going to surprise people when the first trickle of Cybertrucks becomes a flood of them quickly.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not sure how you would know whether they have or not. Very strong possibility most line workers will be existing workers shifted over to the Cybertruck.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla knows the early production will be in fits and starts so they will probably run the line 2-3 weeks initially without a full complement of line workers because every new human is expensive and they don't want too many low-skilled newbies standing around for hours while the kinks are worked out of the production equipment. There will be engineers and other team members testing out the line initially.

All of the early production is going to employees anyway. Lucky bastards!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Not sure how you would know whether they have or not. Very strong possibility most line workers will be existing workers shifted over to the Cybertruck.
Yup, some experienced Model Y workers who might have been training for Cybertruck go to startup the Cybertruck line.

Most of the newly hired workers go to Model Y line where they get trained by other experienced Model Y workers and then the new workers work along side the experienced Model Y workers on the Model Y line.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I'm sure they have hundreds of applicants a week...not to hard to find ppl. But I'm sure they are pulling their best from Y line to work CT line. Those ppl were already trained once and will understand what it takes to build a vehicle from scratch, any new ppl on CT line would prob do the super easy items at first then work their way up. Regardless we know by end of 3rd quarter we should see a bunch of CT in the lots!

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
doesn't giga texas currently make over 25000 model y's a year... if so... why would they not start a brand new line with some experienced workers?? and the start of a prod line is SLOW first turn it on for a few cars... make those tinker and fix the line then try again... STARTING production should require FAR fewer linemen than running it all out.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I watch LinkedIn profiles for a handful of "Cybertruck" stamped individuals. Some I have seen promote within the higher rolls still on the project.

With that being said, what @Ogre said is probably true. At least half way. I'd imagine there will be some Y employee's that started there just so they could go to build Cybertrucks eventually. That's now.

They will have tenure now, some as long as over a year, some even have come from Fremont to build in GFTX. They know how to stamp, cast, assemble, and even some Tweet ;)

Most of these management + jobs we are seeing will be building the Cybertrucks to establish processes for sometime. These processes will be what is taught to new talent, to each other, and also documented, reviewed, and modified. There's a loot going on inside the 8 walls.

You honestly might not see outside talent posting for a few months, but they'll probably already be building Release Candidate Cybertrucks for validation and testing. For the EPA. For crashing. And then, for us!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gotta hire the people who are going to train the people on the line and they have to assemble the methods first to do that, and in doing so, they make the first production-intent trucks.

-Crissa