Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The big question is, will this make $TSLA go up or down?

Buy or hold?

OBVIOUSLY any news for Tesla is bad and $TSLA will go down in price. Which answers your second question nicely, BUY AND HOLD!

Disclaimer: this is NOT financial advice and YMMV!

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Like Magic isn't it. I see why Elon doesn't like incentives. It made judging the market that much harder. The sales crash in December was difficult to manage. The March changes will be similar. I suppose it works out in the end tho.
I think Musk realizes there is no way incentives are sustainable. This is likely a $1b handout to Tesla customers this year alone. That’s on top of what is likely another $1b for manufacturing cells and packs in the US. Thats just the bits heading for Tesla. Next year it will likely be $3b combined or more.

Government bean counters vastly missed the mark on pricing the cost to taxpayers.

Highly unlikely this will last more than a couple years without a huge revision.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Never have even been looking at the short term, with Tesla's long term fundamentals being so solid.

That said it's quite an irony as Tesla has always had so much untapped pricing power with their margins, that even after these price cuts Tesla margins will still be likely two or more times that of legacy auto margins on each car sold. So Tesla didn't really have to do this either, because their debt is nearly nothing so they could just hibernate if they want - whereas legacy auto must sustain a certain amount of cash flow to pay on their much more massive debts.

But I think this opening of the 'spigot' with price drops likely indicates that Tesla now feels ready to really increase their production rates.

I think this will have the corrupt MSM scrambling for verbal gymnastics to somehow depict the Tesla price cuts as negative or bad. The MSM will now have a more difficult time trying to convince the public that Tesla has low demand. Irony is that with very few exceptions, Tesla has had saturated demand even when pricing at three times the margins of many legacy auto brands.

Regardless of short term narrative sound bytes from the MSM, I think this will ultimately increase the number of Teslas seen on the roads; and then from stop-light to stop-light even more people are going to see how happy Tesla owners are just to be driving one. I don't even need to go into detailed descriptions here because every Tesla owner already knows.

This will increase interest and demand even more.

- ÆCIII

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That said it's quite an irony as Tesla has always had so much untapped pricing power with their margins, that even after these price cuts Tesla margins will still be likely two or more times that of legacy auto margins on each car sold.
Teslas competition is operating at negative margins.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
the price cut is enough for me to seriously pulling the trigger on a 3 or Y. Even a used 3 I have my eye on with FSD. If new, not pulling the trigger on FSD.
What prices are you seeing for used 3 with fsd?

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think Musk realizes there is no way incentives are sustainable. This is likely a $1b handout to Tesla customers this year alone. That’s on top of what is likely another $1b for manufacturing cells and packs in the US. Thats just the bits heading for Tesla. Next year it will likely be $3b combined or more.

Government bean counters vastly missed the mark on pricing the cost to taxpayers.

Highly unlikely this will last more than a couple years without a huge revision.
I do like the emphasis on American manufacturing. I hope congress doesn't change that part. Even if people don't qualify for the entire incentive. (which also reduces the lost tax revenue.) We need to claw back this capability. There is no better time to do it with a change in technology.

Same with solar.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Whilst selling every product Tesla made, Elon slowly lured the competition to a higher price point and then he cut them off at the knees.

It could be said circumstances lead to this... I say Elon navigated here at genius level.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Whilst selling every product Tesla made, Elon slowly lured the competition to a higher price point and then he cut them off at the knees.

It could be said circumstances lead to this... I say Elon navigated here at genius level.
the competition also priced based on commodity costs.... the fact this keeps being forgotten already baffles my mind.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
the competition also priced based on commodity costs.... the fact this keeps being forgotten already baffles my mind.
The competition did
The competition did what they always do. They did the least amount of engineering and investment to bring a 'new' product to market borrowing as much from the old generation as they could and charged as much as they could get away with. Tesla has always been an uncompromising BEV.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

I think the situation just played in their favor.

There was a huge surge of demand that helped Tesla push up prices just when they needed to in order to make up for the cost of their factory.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It's all about good decisions
Sponsored