Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
My largest house payment was $1,085/ month. We havenā€™t had one of those in 4 years though.
i donā€™t either, Thank you Dave Ramsey.
Sponsored

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
people bought Tesla model 3/y past 2 years must be sad. Very likely, trimotor Cybertruck will qualify for tax credit.
My brother in law was pissed. Bought a model Y performance in Dec.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
When you buy a computer and get the latest, greatest machine the store has, you pay the asking price. Maybe it is even on sale. A month later a newer model comes out, it is cheaper yet has more RAM and more hard disk space. This had been my experience of computer purchases over the last 3 decades.

same shit, different day.

I have read in these very forums that a Tesla is not a car, it is a computer on wheels.

Only in Tesla forums have I ever read how prices dropping for the consumer is a personal and societal calamity of monumental proportions.

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
Just imagine all the paint shops licking their lips. "Here comes another white Tesla boss". :D
[/QUOTe
What's the deal w/ white tesla paint?

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
First I have to say " I called it" There is a link between Model Y and CT pricing. The price of the Y had to come down. I still see a 5-10% increase in the original pricing of the CT offset a little with 4ws.

I didn't know how Tesla was going to do it. This is a bold surprise and a good move. Get the pain over with. In China there were actually protest on the price drop because people were angry that they overpaid.

To those that paid a premium for their Y over the last couple years I think we can say thank you. You furthered the mission of transitioning to sustainable energy and helped the construction/development of the super efficient factories and models we now see. This may be a small consolation for paying a $10k premium, but hopefully you enjoyed your rig over the last year or so.

I wish Tesla would have some emotional intelligence and offer you guys something. Free FSD upgrade for 3 years or $2500 off your next Tesla etc. Something like that.
Saving $10k/ year since buying 2 years ago is consolation enough.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Decision time, need t9 go sit in a 3 and Y again tonight

Either going to be a 3 performance, gray (black pushes out of rebate territory)
or LR Y with color. Maybe change rims after market since the rim package pushes out of rebate territory.

not pulling the trigger on enhance or FSD at this time. If FSD was 7K, I would pull the trigger. At 15k, I will think about it more.
If you haven't owned a Tesla before get the stock rims and keep them for 6 months so you can get familiar with the size and then hopefully the curb rash will be out of your system.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I went to a Tesla mall showroom store so I could have my wife and son sit in a Y and 3 for their input.

while placing the order there, I told the person helping I want a pen. She responded I am not taking delivery yet so I do not get a pen. šŸ¤Ø

Through tough negotiations, I acquired one post it sheet included with the order. Fear my negotiating skills.
I didn't get a pen ā˜¹

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Unfortunate but completely understandable, Tesla should do something for those who paid a lot higher. Some free charging or discount FSD or somethingā€¦.may even up to a pen?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
My brother in law was pissed. Bought a model Y performance in Dec.
Unless forced to (such as following this forum constantly), when I buy a new car I stop looking at the prices of new cars until it is time to look for the next one (which is always a shock but another story). I am not concerned with the current prices of Model Ys except to send notes to every friend and acquaintance to tell them to get on it, and I wouldn't even know about current Model Y prices, most likely, if I wasn't so laser focused on Cybertruck news. But the overwhelming percentage of car buyers aren't at all like us; they just buy a car as soon as they decide they want one and get the best price they can at that moment. They are not thinking years in advance, and they know little about what they are doing (i.e., they don't know every feature and spec and their entire history): the car is simply a necessary evil for them. They care about the big 4: price, range, charging time, and charger availability. I wouldn't worry about your brother; he'll get over it. I have a friend who falls into this category but he put in an order in early 2022 and took delivery around Thanksgiving. He was upset at the $3,750 discount and I don't even want to talk to him about all of this, but he is happy with his MY and the disappointment will pass.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Iā€™m sure this means they double down on lobbying for relaxing the incentive qualifications. Would not be surprised if the IRS discovers car-like SUVs now qualify.
itā€™s interesting, and admittedly a little tin-hatty, but I keep wondering if this move has any relationship to ā€œinsiderā€ knowledge about where the IRS tax interpretations are going to fall.

meanwhile though. this thread is FULL of people talking matter-of-factly about getting the $7,500 incentive, but for many that is at best an educated guess and at worst a misunderstanding of just how unsettled the law is still. I guess I could be a few (several?) days behind, but as far as I know:

(A) the IRS still has not settled on the qualifications for either parts 1 ($3,750) or parts 2 ($3,750) of the manufacturing/battery forks of the incentives, and

(B) the announcement of those regs will have to correlate to when ultimate vehicle delivery occurs for an individual.

I suppose itā€™s possible a few folks ordering right now (who otherwise satisfy the income or tax liability requirements) and taking ultimate delivery within a few weeks are prob in good shape, but as the weeks go on the impending regs will tell us how many buyers of which vehicles will otherwise qualify

Charging connectors don't count towards the cap, they are accessories so excluded.
As far as I know, the IRS how not yet issued its guidance on how it will determine MSRP for purposes of the IRA credits. Precedent exists for a wide range of outcomes.

EDIT TO ADD: Iā€™m ignorant of how Tesla packages/charges for ā€œcharging connectorsā€ - but are they never ā€œincludedā€œ within the base price of certain vehicles/trims?

Last edited: