11.5 kw 48A not adding 46 mile per hour

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
The 80% for continuous loads rule has nothing to do with a plug. Even hard wired installs can be dangerous if there's any single weak link in the chain.

The charge rate CAN BE limited by the EVSE on the wall, or limited by the charge rate selected on the EV. Relying on limiting the amps via the truck is NOT OKAY.

@smggsm clearly needs a consultantation with a qualified electrician who specializes in EV charging. There are many, including one that sponsors a very informative YouTube channel on this subject, but I am not going to refer to any that I have not used myself.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

smggsm

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren fisker sig fisker Echochic
Country flag
Supercharger bypasses the onboard AC charger for DC fast charging. The charger circuit for DC charging is in the supercharger, not in the car.
Oh I see . Thank you for explaining..

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
The 80% for continuous loads rule has nothing to do with a plug. Even hard wired installs can be dangerous if there's any single weak link in the chain.

The charge rate CAN BE limited by the EVSE on the wall, or limited by the charge rate selected on the EV. Relying on limiting the amps via the truck is NOT OKAY.

@smggsm clearly needs a consultantation with a qualified electrician who specializes in EV charging. There are many, including one that sponsors a very informative YouTube channel on this subject, but I am not going to refer to any that I have not used myself.
lol dude, chill with the angry reacts. I can assume that an electrician doing the installation will know how electricity works the same way that you and I do. 60A breaker plus hard wired, using the appropriate gauge wire to handle the current based on the length of wire from the breaker panel to the wall charger. The same wire and breaker with a nema 14-50 in the middle, you are supposed to run it at 40A max, if you were to theoretically put it together that way even though you aren't supposed to. Not sure what the argument is here.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
people should just switch it to show Percentages and stop looking at the miles/hour rate its stupid. just go by kwh and kw and be done with it.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Yes, you will not be able to get a faster charge at your house
you can get faster, but your tesla wont be able to use it. 48a is the fastest current teslas can charge on AC

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I it this charger it’s really good happy with it.. lot of charger for the money WiFi you can monitor and adjust the charging rate ..
my issue It show 48A max but I’m only at this rate should add at least 40 mile per hour but I’m only 27mile per hour .. I’m using 14-50 plug ..
we dont have a record of your order in our statistics here, would you mind giving us a few pieces of info ?

* First 5 digits of your RN
* date you configured your truck
* date your VIN was assigned
* date you took delivery

thanks, it helps us out!

OP
OP

smggsm

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
we dont have a record of your order in our statistics here, would you mind giving us a few pieces of info ?

* First 5 digits of your RN
* date you took delivery

thanks, it helps us out!

First 5 digits of your RN
12/9
I don't remember , got the call for
January for delivery ( how can I check
* date you took delivery
1/23

JuanTutrifor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
123000 watts / 11500 watts = 10.69 hours of charging. 40 miles * 10.69 = 427 miles. Your truck has a range of 318. 318 mile /10.69 hours is 29.7 miles per hour charging at 11.5kw. Factor in efficiency and other crap and there's your 27 miles added per hour.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I it this charger it’s really good happy with it.. lot of charger for the money WiFi you can monitor and adjust the charging rate ..
my issue It show 48A max but I’m only at this rate should add at least 40 mile per hour but I’m only 27mile per hour .. I’m using 14-50 plug ..
First, you should not be running a nema 14-50 above 40A continuous. That's dangerous.

Second, nothing anywhere said 40 miles per hour for home charging with regard to cybertruck.

Some quick math says 29 miles per hour would be the expected if there were no losses, so 27 miles seems exactly correct.
Aside: See the tesla chart and look at the 50 Circuit breaker (amps) line for 40 Maxium output (amps). And see the relative charging speed (miles added per hours) for the other Teslas.
Tesla Cybertruck 11.5 kw 48A not adding  46 mile per hour Tesla Wall Charger Miles Per Hour MPH

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Cold.Truth

First Name
Big A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 CT AWD, 1987 Carerra, 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Occupation
I.T. Project Management
Country flag
Ah…I miss the days when I had seperate 100A Service on a meter and PG&E Time-of-Use plan to my house/garage for my 2013 P85+ with dual on-board chargers getting 80A and adding 59 miles of range per hour of charge……Just sold my 2017 Model 3 in January in prep for CT and to be honest, I just trickle charged it at 5A to about 50% of the battery’s capacity every time I came home. So what if it took 8 hours? (my use case allowed for it, yours might not). 50% batt cap was plenty for driving around Albuquerque. I will admit I charged to a higher percentage back in 2013 when I had range anxiety and good reason for it as the SC network wasn’t what it is today and BEVs were very new tech. :p

OP
OP

smggsm

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
All packs need to be cell-balanced at some point. Unless you never do a long trip once a month, you probably should go up to the top at some point. You should also deeply discharge, too, as it allows the computer to 'map' the discharge properties of the cells.

LFP batteries are not more or less susceptible to being out of balance - they just care less about sitting at 100%.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
First, you should not be running a nema 14-50 above 40A continuous. That's dangerous.

Second, nothing anywhere said 40 miles per hour for home charging with regard to cybertruck.

Some quick math says 29 miles per hour would be the expected if there were no losses, so 27 miles seems exactly correct.
The OP doesn’t know Level 2 charging, but they will soon!
Sponsored