CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I agree that's much better, the problem is electric vehicles are not designed to tow. At least not for long distances The pack size required to get the Silverado to go that far is insane The amount of weight it's toting around on a daily basis for no reason. Which is exactly why Tesla decided not to give us a larger pack to give us the 500 mile range. And tell battery density becomes capable of giving 500 mile range while staying at a reasonable weight they're not going to do it. Realistically if you plan on towing something heavy for long distances You're way better off with a gas or diesel. That's just the way it is. Supercharging networks not set up for towing there is no existing network for other EVs for the most part until they start using Tesla. It's just not practical. They're great for towing short distances though. If range is what really matters the most to people and they're better off getting a gas vehicle plain and simple.
Imagine how long it would take to charge that! Also. Probably wouldn’t save that much time vs stopping twice (maybe 3 shortish) with CT.. but someone can check me on that.. just off the cuff speculation
Sponsored

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Personally, taking away all that we know about the CT and it's software, FSD beta, 48volt, SS, etc etc, If I thought this would hold up for the 20 plus years I believe my CT would, I would buy this just on looks.

Not stunning like CT but low key truck beauty. I know I am showing my butt here but I feel like I am in a safe place. I hope.

1706042464721.png

1706042500269.png
I thought about the RAM as well, if you're looking for a daily EV that's not useless for towing then the RAM is obviously the best choice. With the gas charger generator whatever they call it. You get the daily EV use and you get a thousand miles range with a gas engine and you can fill up a tank and keep going. It's a no-brainer if that's what your end game is. For me I want the cybertruck, I want the stainless steel I love the looks I want the steer by wire, the FSD, The four-wheel steering and so on. I currently have a ram 1500 it's a good truck nothing wrong with it but I've always really enjoyed driving Tesla's.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
I thought about the RAM as well, if you're looking for a daily EV that's not useless for towing then the RAM is obviously the best choice. With the gas charger generator whatever they call it. You get the daily EV use and you get a thousand miles range with a gas engine and you can fill up a tank and keep going. It's a no-brainer if that's what your end game is. For me I want the cybertruck, I want the stainless steel I love the looks I want the steer by wire, the FSD, The four-wheel steering and so on. I currently have a ram 1500 it's a good truck nothing wrong with it but I've always really enjoyed driving Tesla's.
That is the REV but your right, the Ramcharger is a good choice for those with range anxiety but I am a believer in Elon's "no part is the best part" theory. I never want a complicated ICE vehicle again.

Just like the looks of the REV. It is the old truck guy in me. CT is my future for many incredible reasons.

Tesla Cybertruck 2024 Silverado EV WT Range Officially EPA Certified 1706044290785

Get It?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Agreed - I actually don't think range would matter as much as it does if charging times were significantly faster than what we see in the real world today. If we saw charging times of 5-10 minutes with 80-90% SoC - I think people wouldn't be as focused on range. IMHO it's mostly the 30-45 minute DC public charging times that scare people away from considering EVs in general. It's the lack of range combined with the long charging times that turn off most traditional automotive buyers at least from what I've observed in many conversations when this topic comes up. If you could find a pull through DC public charger and recharge in 5-10 minutes up to 80-90% I think more people would be amenable to having to stop every 100-150 miles to charge when towing - but it's the 30-60 minute charging times with the larger packs that add up a lot when towing any distance - or when using up the pack with local deliveries as you point out.
If my math serves me correctly, a 200kWh pack going from 0-80% capacity in 10 minutes would require a Megawatt charger.
Tesla is looking at Megawatt chargers for their Semis, but I don't think that anyone is looking at that for cars and pickups. 350kW is about the max now.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
If my math serves me correctly, a 200kWh pack going from 0-80% capacity in 10 minutes would require a Megawatt charger.
Tesla is looking at Megawatt chargers for their Semis, but I don't think that anyone is looking at that for cars and pickups. 350kW is about the max now.
And what 350s are available? And how many along “trailer routes”? Chevy isn’t NACS until 2025. So unless you can get to your destination without charging the Chevy, I would bet even traveling twice as far could take longer on the trip of 300 miles or more. Imagine trying to find fast/convenient/reliable non-Tesla chargers for that for at least the next year or two.. so what are you really gaining?

I’m not trying to poopoo the Chevy as it has some possible exciting features, but let’s be realistic about its charging network, price and true ability to produce mass amounts before I give it some EV truck best in class.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
And what 350s are available? And how many along “trailer routes”? Chevy isn’t NACS until 2025. So unless you can get to your destination without charging the Chevy, I would bet even traveling twice as far could take longer on the trip of 300 miles or more. Imagine trying to find fast/convenient/reliable non-Tesla chargers for that for at least the next year or two.. so what are you really gaining?

I’m not trying to poopoo the Chevy as it has some possible exciting features, but let’s be realistic about its charging network, price and true ability to produce mass amounts before I give it some EV truck best in class.
You seemed to have assumed that I said Tesla chargers, I didn't

I believe that Electrify America has some 350kW pedestals. This was done, AFAIK, with Porsche who really was pushing fast charging. And interestingly a Porsche connected to an EA charge is the only time I've seen an EA dollar amount go over $100!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that Tesla has any 350kW pedestals. Just 250, 150, and 72 kW pedestals.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
You seemed to have assumed that I said Tesla chargers, I didn't

I believe that Electrify America has some 350kW pedestals. This was done, AFAIK, with Porsche who really was pushing fast charging. And interestingly a Porsche connected to an EA charge is the only time I've seen an EA dollar amount go over $100!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that Tesla has any 350kW pedestals. Just 250, 150, and 72 kW pedestals.
Nah not taking any shots.. it went back to original discussion . That’s great the truck can go 200+ miles to tow, but where is it gonna charge? That’s my point. EA has some, and their reliability is horrible I assume.
I think we are actually in agreement. I would be curious to see a Chevy SilvEv tow something 300 400 miles vs a CT towing the same thing along the same route… the Chevy has no access to the Supercharger network and has to fill a much bigger battery… how close would the trip actually be?

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Chevy isn’t NACS until 2025.
2024: NACS charging adapters are supposed to be available "early 2024" / "spring 2024" per various articles tracking this down.

2025: NACS built-in ports

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
2024: NACS charging adapters are supposed to be available "early 2024" / "spring 2024" per various articles tracking this down.

Thanks for the info. I still wouldn’t touch it. But thats just me

jookyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24CTAWD 17MXP100D 23MX
Country flag

Tesla is quietly still putting in magic dock superchargers, and this one in Northglenn CO is awesome. Has magic dock (for GM, Ford, Rivian) AND has a lane charger for towing.

Tesla Cybertruck 2024 Silverado EV WT Range Officially EPA Certified 1706061646304

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Tesla is quietly still putting in magic dock superchargers, and this one in Northglenn CO is awesome. Has magic dock (for GM, Ford, Rivian) AND has a lane charger for towing.
Indeed. The Tesla FindUs page lets you see where those Magic Dock sites are located if you only turn on the 'Superchargers Open to Non-Tesla' option.

Tesla Cybertruck 2024 Silverado EV WT Range Officially EPA Certified ZMFeseB

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Nah not taking any shots.. it went back to original discussion . That’s great the truck can go 200+ miles to tow, but where is it gonna charge? That’s my point. EA has some, and their reliability is horrible I assume.
I think we are actually in agreement. I would be curious to see a Chevy SilvEv tow something 300 400 miles vs a CT towing the same thing along the same route… the Chevy has no access to the Supercharger network and has to fill a much bigger battery… how close would the trip actually be?
I'll give EA a little credit, they are getting better from my experience and just passing by them. Part of the reliability issue has been that the CCS/CHAdeMO locations have had only one or two pedestals. I'm not sure if Tesla has deployed less than 6 at a site. One goes down and life is getting miserable, but EA is installing more pedestal these days and that helps.

The secret for travelling as fast as possible is staying on the good side of the battery charge graph. That tends to suggest that charging between 0% to around 50% is the fastest travel rate. So I'm waiting to see what all the curves look like.

VDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Country flag
The secret for travelling as fast as possible is staying on the good side of the battery charge graph. That tends to suggest that charging between 0% to around 50% is the fastest travel rate.
One would think that the good side of a charge graph should be as far away from the bottom half as possible.