Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The refundable $100 we all paid, is that a deposit or a fee? My email calls it a "$100 Order Payment"
The $100 was listed as a 'reservation fee'. But the pre-order agreement given says it's the pre-order payment, which is refundable up to delivery (not the current wording if you go buy a Tesla today!) and that a credit of the amount of the pre-order payment is given as a credit on your final price.

So I guess it slides through as a deposit. I read legalese so you don't have to ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
That's the current non-refundable deposit. They don't really advertise it. https://electrek.co/2021/08/20/tesla-more-than-doubles-non-refundable-order-fee/

When reservations switch to order, you have to make a non-refundable deposit. It's varied over the years whether the refundable deposit was larger or smaller and when you had to make the non-refundable part.

-Crissa
Not sure where you or electrek got the order fee information but I just reviewed our Order and loan documents for the Model Y and Model 3 ordered in 2021 (June and Oct respectively). The order fee for each car was $100. That fee wasn't paid until delivery.

I see what you're talking about if ordering now as there is a fee of $250 to place the order. Pretty inconsequential number considering the cars cost.

My suggested fee re the Cybertruck was intended to filter out non-serious reservation holders once the CT is in production.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not sure where you or electrek got the order fee information but I just reviewed our Order and loan documents for the Model Y and Model 3 ordered in 2021 (June and Oct respectively). The order fee for each car was $100. That fee wasn't paid until delivery.

I see what you're talking about if ordering now as there is a fee of $250 to place the order. Pretty inconsequential number considering the cars cost.

My suggested fee re the Cybertruck was intended to filter out non-serious reservation holders once the CT is in production.
Yeah, I pointed out that the fee has changed before.

Which is why I went back and read the agreement they had given us with the reservation. But they gave us terms of the pre-order already, sorta tying their hands.

-Crissa

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I don’t think it matters a whole lot what the order fee is. Once you get to that point, they want you to have a commitment to purchase. They don’t want to be shipping cars to the 5 corners of the earth only to find some dude in Hoboken, NY is just fooling around and now they need to ship the truck elsewhere.
Hoboken is in New Jersey. Just sayin... :LOL:

Can't wait to get mine. Already 1/4 saved up in less than a year since reserving, not counting eth mined 7 years ago. Once that merge comes I'll be sitting pretty with most if not all saved up! Might even be able to upgrade to quad plaid excessive absurdity available at time of purchase!

Last edited:

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I pointed out that the fee has changed before.

Which is why I went back and read the agreement they had given us with the reservation. But they gave us terms of the pre-order already, sorta tying their hands.

-Crissa
Just as a side point of interest but no value as to what may actually happen when/if that day comes...
I placed a refundable $1k reservation for a Model 3 sight unseen and final price unknown on March 31, 2016. 2 years later, I got an email from Tesla telling me if I want to confirm my reservation so they can start building my car, I would need to deposit an additional $2500 non-refundable and I could configure my car. The whole $3500 would be applied to the purchase price at time of delivery and final purchase documents signed. Remember that they had tempted me with a $35k Tesla price but at that time of early production it didn't exist yet. The only version available was the LR Rwd with the premium upgrade package etc etc that cost me $56K with the enhanced AP. I was at lunch with my wife in Applebees when the email arrived and without hesitation, I sent the additional $2500. The dream of actually owning a Tesla was coming true in my old age and I wasn't going to let anything deter me. Still have that car and love it just as much as I knew I would back then with no regrets.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's the current non-refundable deposit. They don't really advertise it. https://electrek.co/2021/08/20/tesla-more-than-doubles-non-refundable-order-fee/

When reservations switch to order, you have to make a non-refundable deposit. It's varied over the years whether the refundable deposit was larger or smaller and when you had to make the non-refundable part.

-Crissa
Umm, I know you know this but just for the purpose of clarity, Tesla doesn't advertise anything and only the Cybertruck and Roadster have reservations as did the original Model 3's. All current production Tesla's are place an order, lock in a price and accept delivery when scheduled. Those are two very different processes and although the deposit amounts seem to have varied slightly they are still trivial compared to the price of the cars.

As I stated, my preference would be to require a more serious $ commitment once production of the Cybertruck begins and final CT order details are required for buyers. That would as they say, flush the chumps and allow Tesla to create a more realistic production schedule.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I just hope we get more information today...need something to gossip over until production...more than the tidbits we received at the last earnings call I hope. Price isn't an issue anymore when we have 4 plus years to save lol

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As I stated, my preference would be to require a more serious $ commitment once production of the Cybertruck begins and final CT order details are required for buyers. That would as they say, flush the chumps and allow Tesla to create a more realistic production schedule.
Tesla isn’t going to have any issues with Cybertruck production schedules.

Unless they do something ridiculous with pricing they will sell every single truck they make. Making some extra, random intermittent fee won’t change that.

There is a massive advantage to having a queue of people who have already expressed enough interest in your vehicle to put money down on it. For example, about a year ago when Model Y sales were flagging a bit (I know, crazy!), Tesla tapped that list to send out some emails pushing Model Y test drives.

No purpose or sense to flushing that down the drain.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla isn’t going to have any issues with Cybertruck production schedules.

Unless they do something ridiculous with pricing they will sell every single truck they make. Making some extra, random intermittent fee won’t change that.

There is a massive advantage to having a queue of people who have already expressed enough interest in your vehicle to put money down on it. For example, about a year ago when Model Y sales were flagging a bit (I know, crazy!), Tesla tapped that list to send out some emails pushing Model Y test drives.

No purpose or sense to flushing that down the drain.
An additional financial commitment once production has started and, you're required to finalize your Cybertruck details is specific, not random or intermittent.

I can't recall a time when Model Y orders "flagged" (lagged?) and my Model Y test drive and subsequent order were not prompted by an email from Tesla. In fact, I never hear from Tesla via email and I quite like it that way ...

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
An additional financial commitment once production has started and, you're required to finalize your Cybertruck details is specific, not random or intermittent.

I can't recall a time when Model Y orders "flagged" (lagged?) and my Model Y test drive and subsequent order were not prompted by an email from Tesla. In fact, I never hear from Tesla via email and I quite like it that way ...
In February 2021, Tesla very briefly reduced the price (I know crazy right?) of the Model Y and introduced the Model Y SR also very briefly. At that same time they sent out a bunch of emails to Cybertruck reservation holders. I remember this quite distinctly because this is when and why I ordered my Model Y.

Adding a fee in the middle of the process where nothing is happening in your order process is about as random as you can get.

Having an order fee which is paid when you place your order (and are given a delivery date) makes sense. A fee to say “Yes I still want this reservation that I paid for 2+ years ago” is arbitrary and nonsensical. In particular, if your car delivery is still 1+ years out. I can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone doing this.
Sponsored