Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I feel the same way about the 500 miles of range. I also feel the need for at least 8 feet of enclosed bed length. Regardless, I will be buying the most range and the options that allow me the most bed length I can get WHEN my place in line is open to me. I've been at the end of my Model 3's range too and it creates a tension where I sit. I hold to the hope that Elon has said, back when he revealed the CT, that the range would be enough to provide 250 miles fully loaded. My interpretation of that long ago comment is that the battery pack will be enough for 500 miles. What I imaging fully loaded to be is 5 passengers and 3500 pounds of payload... but that is the great thing about imagination, it could be reality but rarely is.
When all is considered, the CT has the longest bed, the most payload, and the longest range of any of the offerings based on what Ford, Chevy, Rivian, and Canoo have presented. Each truck has something that sets them apart. But, knowing Tesla, knowing Elon's stated intention, and knowing the stated parameters of the CT, I trust that the initial options of the CT will have the higher range capacity and the options that will provide a usable enclosed vault.
I don’t recall Elon ever saying that the CT would get 250 miles fully loaded but, like you said, our imaginings could be quite different than reality. One reality that no one will own up to, I am sure, is the real mileage vs the EPA mileage. If we are asked to keep the SOC between 20% and 80% then will we get 250 miles fully loaded? Not likely. How about between 10% and 90%? 250 miles on an advertised 400 mile range is more efficient than all of the BEV trucks so far. Personally I hope that the CT does 250 miles fully loaded in reality.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It is quite possible Tesla will monitor wind direction/wind speed/incline/road surface/Tire pressure/other and recommend accordingly .. ie maintain chosen speed or 10k less.

It is possible to reduce speed in the first place, but for the lead foot's out there, it may be quite useful.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Staying with %’s…ABRP @100% drives up A.M. to work.

Cybertruck MTY @89% SOC from ABRP makes a concrete bag run into town i.e. Cascade from atop Pikes Peak.

At bottom of the hill ~92% DOC; a gain from regen. Load up bags of concrete powder to the gills(ahem, tonneau) close up the back and turn right around drive back up to the top.

Cybertruck @76% SOC fully loaded with bubblier beer in back at the top of Pikes Peak after drive up. That trip cost s/b ~13% using ABRP.

Cybertruck lives at bottom of hill, at the end of the day, returns to Cascade home - parks @78% SOC.

Mixed-use ABRP works out +10% cost to drive to work, make a run, back up and home again. Wonder how an ICE comparison on ABRP works $:$ in percents.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
It is quite possible Tesla will monitor wind direction/wind speed/incline/road surface/Tire pressure/other and recommend accordingly .. ie maintain chosen speed or 10k less.
You could join Chuck L.H. turn fame
A Charlie’s unknown unknown for Tesla — Charlie speed
OR 10k less <?> is that 10 kilometer or another metric like 10k off your insurance limits driving like Madmax.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

It is possible to reduce speed in the first place, but for the lead foot's out there, it may be quite useful.
All possible. We can actually estimate windspeed and direction for our UAV's just using GPS and without using a pitot tube if we want. Actually happened to us in a competition once making our evtol go 130kmh instead of 100kmh cruise.

But the easiest way is just to measure motor load, vehicle speed, incline and steering angle. You should be able to compute the best accelerator position from that. You can also calculate payload, wind direction etc. The easiest way without any of that is just to limit kW output to the motor and remap the accelerator/cruise control to operate in that realm, unless you do a "kickdown" full accelerator or thereabouts. That way your consumption can be throttled to your required range, and if it can it will allow you to go faster whenever you aren't using all the power you set it too, or what you saved up along the way.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Staying with %’s…ABRP @100% drives up A.M. to work.

Cybertruck MTY @89% SOC from ABRP makes a concrete bag run into town i.e. Cascade from atop Pikes Peak.

At bottom of the hill ~92% DOC; a gain from regen. Load up bags of concrete powder to the gills(ahem, tonneau) close up the back and turn right around drive back up to the top.

Cybertruck @76% SOC fully loaded with bubblier beer in back at the top of Pikes Peak after drive up. That trip cost s/b ~13% using ABRP.

Cybertruck lives at bottom of hill, at the end of the day, returns to Cascade home - parks @78% SOC.

Mixed-use ABRP works out +10% cost to drive to work, make a run, back up and home again. Wonder how an ICE comparison on ABRP works $:$ in percents.
Do you mean like this one with the Swiss dump trucks that transport down a hill from a mine and make electricity doing so?
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124478_world-s-largest-ev-never-has-to-be-recharged

I'm thinking you could nearly do the same with CT on Pikes peak actually. If it takes the CT 16kWh to get up and you put in 1500kg of water in a tank in the back and drive down you'll get 24kWh back. To make it work you'd have to go the shortcut route though, as you would have to do the lap up and down in 8kWh or around 30km. As I said gravity is not that bad in a EV. :cool:

With an ICE it would depend on the angle downhill and the corners. Every time it brakes energy will be lost into the brakes as heat, instead of going into the regen of the EV. The other factor with ICE is that they have less power going up the hill as the air gets thinner for them to breath. Not that much of an issue on turbos, but naturally aspirated engines will suffer. Plus overheating. This is one of the benefits of racing a Tesla up Pike Peak.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I can't live with my 14" MBP without my huge desktop screens. I have been doing fine with my 280 mile range M3.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I can't live with my 14" MBP without my huge desktop screens. I have been doing fine with my 280 mile range M3.
You can't live with or without?

I can't live without my 43" 4K HDR1000 monitor. But I've never had a small monitor since 2007 and Dells 2.7k 32".

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Sorry, I can't do my job without a larger screen. I can live with 280 miles of range.

I forgot to tell everyone I'm better than you because I have a 14" MacBook Pro however. I hate chai though, but I just had a peanut butter banana smoothie. Organic. Must be worth some privilege points?

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I've had many different cars, with many different size tanks (range), and I still manage to run them down to '0' miles at one point or another... Battery technology will improve, more chargers will be installed, and I'll still need another few miles of range...lol

agsteane

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
So I work with a guy near my cubicle who likes to rub it in your face that he's better than you because he drinks Chai Lattes, drives a Subaru, recycles, and listens to NPR. Recently, he bought a Macbook Pro 14". When I asked him if he liked it, he replied with his nose in the air "hmm, yea, hmm could be a bit bigger, yea, hmm".

I mention this dipshit because while I may agree with him that the laptop could be a bit bigger, the choice between a 14" and 16" screen walks a fine line between objectivity and subjectivity; you can live with a 14 inch macbook pro.

NOT. RANGE.

I got back yesterday after taking the wife and 2 and 4 yo to Panama City in the MYP (nah no nose in the air for me - I wish I could've taken all of ya and drank beer together!).

We were on our last supercharger with 198 miles left to go. With the help of my screaming 2 year old "daddy - drive-home! WAA! CAR-NOW-HOME!" I decided to cut the charger at 269 miles saving us an additional 20 minutes of screaming hell at 1 in the morning.

The range anxiety thing is no joke. Yes, I admit whole-heartedly that I have a heavy foot with the not-so-long-range edition, but I wasn't gunning it, and I ended up going from 78 for 10 minutes to 70 and got behind a truck to make it home (see attached).

That's right - I had 3 miles of range left. HOLY F$%#!

The problem is we're so damn used to gas stations everywhere that we take them for granted. I absolutely love this car, and I'm keeping this car, but I want to offer up some free perspective: even with a 350kw supercharger (which might not be immediately available), you need a large battery capacity to charge up to 70%+, you need the flexibility to drive into the woods or carry heavy/high drag coefficient loads without range anxiety, and if you think you aren't going to see a supercharger ever in your life like I did because you want to treat your truck as a commuter, then you better hope you're right - life is full of unknowns.

Whatever the price difference ends up being, if you can, buy the 500 mile range model. It might be a stretch, but I'm telling ya, you'll have peace of mind in the long run.

Please excuse any errors and brevity - I'm still tired AF.

20220923_031505.jpg
First off - glad you made it home ok. Travelling with kids is amazing until you're in a jam, then not so much.

I am not a Tesla owner (yet) but my best friend is and in our Boys Chat" it's a 50 / 50 split with my buddy and I defending EVs and my bro and another friend naysaying constantly (electric fires, cost, lack of infrastructure, etc.)

I agree that batteries need to be min 500km reliably (I'm in Canada) or 300mi - that's for the single motor IMO. Getting to 1000km range (625 mi) will make a HUGE difference.

That said, I imagine with cars first came out keep this in mind - the Ford Model T got 20-40 miles of range before needing refueling and last time I checked, there were a lot more cars than horses on the road.

EVs will make ICE engines the horses of the past. Citing all the problems that need to be fixed won't stop it.

Now, let's get these bad boys up over 1000km range shall we!

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
So I work with a guy near my cubicle who likes to rub it in your face that he's better than you because he drinks Chai Lattes, drives a Subaru, recycles, and listens to NPR. Recently, he bought a Macbook Pro 14". When I asked him if he liked it, he replied with his nose in the air "hmm, yea, hmm could be a bit bigger, yea, hmm".
Did it ever occur to you that maybe he doesn't actually think he's better than you but that you just think he's thinking that?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
<Snip>
Now, let's get these bad boys up over 1000km range shall we!
Tesla Cybertruck 500 mile Cybertruck is a must AF79E0D2-8591-4986-9DF4-B97A17707B99

Range forks at 400mi(640km) addressing needs of transport, trucking and trailer pulling efficiency. Tesla has no answer for Cybertruck. Its settled upon standing pat @400mi. The 1000km threshold while physically too heavy to be efficient nor economical – is Tesla’s Semi form-factor.

Thus EM is standing firm at 640km limit. Tesla sees motor technology(performative) dropping weight, lightning suspension and translating into “free” range - as in free beer. Teslas with new motors will exceed 640km, weigh less and above that 400mi limit its all free range thanks to Tesla technology.

SO either buy and run a diesel generator in back for Canadian backwoods. OR buy real range in a Semi form factor. Now that’s Ridiculous. But for CA banning ICE, range buyers won’t be pushed - they’re shoved into buying a real truck - a Semi.

Tesla should already have a Semi varient on its drafting boards in SUV skin to pull trailers. More Tundra, as in Great White North, skinned in the SUV, a semi-variant, will make sense then.

Daddystired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
That's not really how range works? It's a mix number, assuming a standard amount of driving.

Point to point driving at a steady highway speed will not have the same average efficiency.

-Crissa
Yes, I know. I drove to Houston in my model y 7 seater fully in use which says it gets 313 range fully charged. Steady speed of 75-80 mph. Occasional 90 mph. For two hoursish . Arrived 150 miles later to a supercharger with 35 percent bettery left. More actually. But regardless. 35ish percent. So give me 420 mile range and I’ll be just fine lol
Sponsored