ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I wouldn't own any Tesla stock just because of his antics...love my Tesla though.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
you're delusional. Ford and GM will SLOWLY
You chose the two legacy OEM’s both of which are bankrupt by 2026. SLOWLY isn’t the ship that makes course correction in time. FORDe is at least owning that to have a chance it needed to abandon ship to a lighter, more nimble startup to have any chance.

GM is sticking to its big guns hoping ”too big to fail” is its saving grace. GM is wont to go down in blazing glory. Delusional would be anyone who thinks all OEM’s are dead meat. Agreed.

EM has def. conquered the automotive industry and TOY for example was insufferable to his EV message. Realistically, TOY has cash-on-hand to bridge Toyota‘s transition late to BEV but it has lost its premier status and #1 in ignoring BEV.

TSLA, BYD, and a handful of innovators are the future. Many if not all others are d’histoire as they say in French. JEEP filed bankruptcy last week. That’ll be the toll that OEM must pay for missing opportunity. No one missed it harder, bigger than EV-1 which GM crushed it!

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
The kind of pickup truck a CEO who knows when to STFU makes.

1667323078357.jpeg

The kind of pickup truck someone who doesn’t give a fuck what other people think makes.

1667323154056.jpeg

Pick one.
Great example of Frontier Gibberish :)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You chose the two legacy OEM’s both of which are bankrupt by 2026. SLOWLY isn’t the ship that makes course correction in time. FORDe is at least owning that to have a chance it needed to abandon ship to a lighter, more nimble startup to have any chance.
Ford should spin off their EV division. Maybe they could IPO and raise a bit of cash and give ownership of the EV division to their retirement fund.

People vastly underestimate how much time legacy auto has to get their ducks in a row. S curves are not forgiving and these companies are on the wrong end of them. I’m not sure about 2026, but I would not be surprised either.

The problem is if legacy auto collapses there will be huge knock on effects on the economy. There are hundreds (thousands) of companies employing hundreds of thousands (millions??) of people who supply these companies.

I’m sure there will be a bailout. Equally sure it’ll be muddled and target the wrong thing.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
gud for u. i dont have strang morals. r u gunna get rid of the cars, if sow can i pleese have your cibertruck resurvasion? i lyke to moove up. tanks in advince.
You are making fun of rednecks. Rednecks are adventurous not stupid and they don't spell this bad. Weird. A lot of effort for ?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You are making fun of rednecks. Rednecks are adventurous not stupid and they don't spell this bad. Weird. A lot of effort for ?
Agree. Not sure what the point is. Too much work to try and reverse engineer the nonsense so I just ignore it. Its one thing to misspell the words here and there, but deliberately obfuscating every single comment is “ignore” worthy.

I wouldn’t use the term “Redneck” to describe someone as “Adventurous”. The phrase comes from describing farm hands or people who work in the sun all day. Often it’s used as an insult or in a self deprecating way. Dictionary suggests bumpkin and yokel as synonyms.

/pedant

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Most billionaires, Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Soros, etc., have a bubble of people who won't criticize them. Lucky for us Musk pals around with some open minded, deep thinkers such as Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan. He stands out as not only the most successful, but the most varied of interests, intelligent and open minded. The others I mentioned march lockstep with a certain ideology which sets Musk up alone as a target for being different.

So far, he's Teflon to the nonsense and let's hope that continues.
The problem is...

When has Rogan or Peterson ever criticized or even contradicted Elon or the conservative / patriarchy?

That's the weakness. Those guys make money by selling themselves, they have no profit motive to sour the golden goose of Elon.

:/

-Crissa

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
As an inadvertent supporter (I own Tesla cars, solar and stock), I used to think Elon was your normal, run of the mill eccentric engineering genius. But with his impulsive desire for attention, this insecure, immature little man is undoing much of the good his obsessive hard work has produced. Elons most ardent "followers" are clearly blind to this Tourettes like behaviour which will only increase in volume and magnitude when applied using his most recently acquired toy. Chief Twit indeed.

I strongly support this Forums "no politics" policy. If only Elon had the wisdom to do the same ...
3 of 4 of my grandparents passed away due to dementia/alzheimers. I'm doomed to follow in their footprints. I try to remember people and faces and places but I don't always succeed. My wife understands that I have this great weight looming over my head that I try really hard to overcome but sometimes, she gets really angry with me when I forget something. "We talked about this yesterday and you didn't do it so I had to." It is tough. This woman loves me but it is straining at times, I know.

Elon has Asperger's of which symptoms include:
1. Inappropriate or minimal social interactions.
2. Conversations that almost always revolve around themselves or a certain topic, rather than others.
3. Not understanding emotions well or having less facial expression than others.

While I don't pretend to understand or agree with many things Elon does, I do believe that he intends to do good things. His actions, in the long run, are intended to help humanity. In the short-term, some of his off-the-wall ideologies could be at least partially explained by his disease. However odd he may seem, he has probably done more for humanity than you, me, and probably the collective whole of this forum. Money helps, of course.

He certainly doesn't live like you would think a billionaire should. (I certainly wouldn't work if I had even $1 Billion in the bank). no lavish mansion with a large pool, lots of sports cars, lavish parties, etc.

On behalf of those who have disabilities, no matter how trivial those maladies may seem, we can all try a little harder to be understanding especially when someone has to much pressure on them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Ford should spin off their EV division. Maybe they could IPO and raise a bit of cash and give ownership of the EV division to their retirement fund.
They did, or as close as they could come without looking like they're cutting their losses. They have a tight gap to avoid falling into.

People vastly underestimate how much time legacy auto has to get their ducks in a row. S curves are not forgiving and these companies are on the wrong end of them. I’m not sure about 2026, but I would not be surprised either.
Overestimate, but yes.

The problem is if legacy auto collapses there will be huge knock on effects on the economy. There are hundreds (thousands) of companies employing hundreds of thousands (millions??) of people who supply these companies.
Definitely.

I’m sure there will be a bailout. Equally sure it’ll be muddled and target the wrong thing.
Maybe not if Republicans are in charge but definitionally the latter if they are. See also the PPP funds going to big paper businesses instead of small ones.

-Crissa

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Agree. Not sure what the point is. Too much work to try and reverse engineer the nonsense so I just ignore it. Its one thing to misspell the words here and there, but deliberately obfuscating every single comment is “ignore” worthy.

I wouldn’t use the term “Redneck” to describe someone as “Adventurous”. The phrase comes from describing farm hands or people who work in the sun all day. Often it’s used as an insult or in a self deprecating way. Dictionary suggests bumpkin and yokel as synonyms.

/pedant
Dictionaries aside, they do make armchair go carts though. They make shit and get it done. For that a lone they have some respect. Do they lack refinement? Probably. Still.

Some people accomplish practically nothing in life and are too scared to attempt much.

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The problem is...

When has Rogan or Peterson ever criticized or even contradicted Elon or the conservative / patriarchy?

That's the weakness. Those guys make money by selling themselves, they have no profit motive to sour the golden goose of Elon.

:/

-Crissa
Plenty of times. I'm going to avoid getting into the politics so I don't get banned again for being conservative.

While Elon has been on Rogan's podcast, Rogan certainly doesn't need him. I don't recall ever seeing a public conversation between Peterson and Elon. He may be a golden goose for Tesla stockholders, but he's certainly not for Peterson or Rogan.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I agree with some of Elon's stuff, and not others. But I don't want him to shut up. I mean, some stuff he says I think could get him killed, so I don't want that to happen, but outside of that, speak away, regardless of what I think.

Fundamentally, a quality that makes Elon great at what he does, is he's an odd, data-driven duck. He believes in black and white, success and failure. No fat, all value. I think it's vitally needed in today's world and in the US specifically. It's a big part of the success of Tesla and Space X. They hire the best, strive for the best. He pays little mind to social nuance, trends and pressures. As an engineer, that sounds like a lovely place to work.

With Twitter, he's open about being a free speech absolutist. I am also a FSA, so I'm happy to see him bring that to the platform. I also think he'll make it technologically far superior than it's ever been. As far as what he says, I don't really care. I think it's good he speaks dissenting opinions. I think one of scariest things that have happened in my lifetime is COVID, and the social engineering that went with it. The shunning, the fighting, the hatred. We need to improve social discourse almost as much as we need renewable energy sources. So yeah, the last thing I want is for him - or anyone really - to shut up. But especially the smart, rational people. Speak and don't be scared of angry mobs or social acceptance.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They did, or as close as they could come without looking like they're cutting their losses. They have a tight gap to avoid falling into.
At the moment it is still one company with 2 divisions. There is no way currently for them to sever the ties between them if the ICE ship goes down, their EV division is along for the ride.

Overestimate, but yes.
I just don’t know. 2026 wasn’t my number. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was that soon, but wouldn‘t bet on it either. I’d say perhaps a 25% chance one of the remaining Detroit automakers files for bankruptcy. 80% chance by 2030.

Maybe not if Republicans are in charge but definitionally the latter if they are. See also the PPP funds going to big paper businesses instead of small ones.
My skepticism about this isn’t around political parties. It is just cynicism.

What needs to happen is these companies need to fail or succeed and the government should provide some kind of safety cushion for the workers to get their feet back under them. What is likely to happen is the government will give some kind of big bailout package to the businesses. Lots of promises will be made about how it will get spent, and the companies will promptly figure out a way to hand it out to shareholders and leaving the workers in the lurch.

Companies almost always reward their shareholders before their customers or employees. Corporate boards are just wired that way.

The problem with Ford and GM isn’t really something a bailout can fix. Right now they have massive investments in infrastructure designed to produce products people won’t buy in 3-5 years. Tens of billions of dollars owed on assets which have little to no value in 5 years. A bailout won’t fix this.

Likewise all of these companies making fan belts, alternators, starters, fuel injection modules, mufflers, catalytic converters
 people need to start thinking about how to unwind all of this or it will come crashing down.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Dictionaries aside, they do make armchair go carts though. They make shit and get it done. For that a lone they have some respect. Do they lack refinement? Probably. Still.

Some people accomplish practically nothing in life and are too scared to attempt much.
I often self-identify as a redneck and would describe many of my friends as such.

But
 one of my most redneck acquaintances almost never left his yard. He bodged together a home built car for his wife which half-ass worked and could do all sorts of crazy contraptions
 but adventurous?

Anyhow. We’re on the same page. Just slicing fish at this point. I tagged it with pedant because I thought it was an irrelevant correction and it was.

Nobody I know who self-describes as redneck goes out of their way to look ignorant though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.