TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Folks, the conversation has been interesting and civil until the last few pages. If you can't comment on the Twitter acquisition without getting into the "Left", "Right", "Trump", "Biden or Hilary" "Dems" "Repubs" "Libs" or "Cons", just move on.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Folks, the conversation has been interesting and civil until the last few pages. If you can't comment on the Twitter acquisition without getting into the "Left", "Right", "Trump", "Biden or Hilary" "Dems" "Repubs" "Libs" or "Cons", just move on.
Did you not just check Al the boxes? 😯

Ultimate controversy, Pumpkin or apple pie at Thanksgiving?

OP
OP
TheLastStarfighter

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

My mother-in-law makes three and throws in lemon, my favorite. Everyone is happy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

You don't need to talk about the inane conspiracies to talk about how Elon's latest tweet is a terrible fallacy.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Buys Twitter [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS AND INSULTS] 934379E2-1232-475E-938A-0228EDB3AC49
https://xkcd.com/1357/ "citing freedom of expression is sort of the ultimate concession; it means the most compelling thing you can say about your position is that it's literally not illegal to express."

It's a terrible position to take: The law only concerns when people could get killed, or steals hundreds of thousands of dollars or risks it, it doesn't bother with small time scammers, it barely touches stalking, and it has almost nothing to say about mob tactics.

There's a huge, huge number of solutions between 'muting' and 'arrest the person'. Waiting for law is waiting until after people die.

-Crissa

OP
OP
TheLastStarfighter

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
On topic, I think the future of twitter will be the end of anonymous sign ups. Same for the other major social medias, as well. You can't get a phone without ID, or internet, and this will be similar. Twitter, FB, etc, have long since transcended from places to chat and connect to communication utilities. That's why bans and shadowbans, etc, can no longer be handed out lightly. But at the same time, users must accept that they are truly putting themselves out there.

People are less brave when they are identified. Bots are more difficult to create. I like the idea of an open and free Twitter, but with verified accounts to deal with illegal activity, harassment, etc. I suspect that's the plan.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
On topic, I think the future of twitter will be the end of anonymous sign ups. Same for the other major social medias, as well. You can't get a phone without ID, or internet, and this will be similar. Twitter, FB, etc, have long since transcended from places to chat and connect to communication utilities. That's why bans and shadowbans, etc, can no longer be handed out lightly. But at the same time, users must accept that they are truly putting themselves out there.

People are less brave when they are identified. Bots are more difficult to create. I like the idea of an open and free Twitter, but with verified accounts to deal with illegal activity, harassment, etc. I suspect that's the plan.
Verified accounts seem to be the most egregious abusers... and the ones that somehow don't attract the hammer for clear site terms infractions like normal accounts do. Being identified appropriately doesn't seem to curb behavior like it used to. Problem not solved.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Sadly trolls live under bridges because they didn't go to college to get an engineering degree, so they can't build a bridge to get over it. ;)

I think sabotaging Twitter threads is just unnecessary, and some people lack the ability to see any other point of view than the ones embedded by their herd.

If we can't even consider anothers point of view, even for a moment, then there's is actually no point in pursuing democracy at all.

It's not something we can have, it's only something we can strive for.

In general if information is excluded than bias leads to marginalisation, and progress stops. We need to base our decisions on data, but we need to make sure that data isn't just a subset that fits our own agenda, and blocks the rest. So if anybody out there actually believes in democracy act accordingly, otherwise feel free to create your own extremist group where you feel comfortable, because in you minds you already have.

Listen with curiosity. Speak with honesty. Act with integrity. The greatest problem with communication is we don’t listen to understand. We listen to reply. When we listen with curiosity, we don’t listen with the intent to reply. We listen for what’s behind the words. - RTB

OP
OP
TheLastStarfighter

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Verified accounts seem to be the most egregious abusers... and the ones that somehow don't attract the hammer for clear site terms infractions like normal accounts do. Being identified appropriately doesn't seem to curb behavior like it used to. Problem not solved.
Abusers of what? Do you have any examples or data of these accounts doing the abusing?

Status
Not open for further replies.