Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's lots of hate crimes. I'm saying, who has been killed because of free speech. The argument against free speech is always that it creates hate crimes, but I see no evidence. I think the hate is already there. If anything, silencing voices creates more radicalization.
https://www.npr.org/2022/06/15/1105226662/buffalo-payton-gendron-federal-hate-crime

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/16/1086...ta-deaths-asian-americans-build-stronger-ties

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...at-we-know-about-the-orlando-shooting-victims

https://www.businessinsider.com/mms-bleach-killed-7-americans-new-from-colombia-arrest-2020-8

I can go on. The bar shouldn't be 'killed', tho, should it?

-Crissa
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The force is very strong in young Elon ...

Look, I want a Cybertruck and will probably own one someday. In the meantime, I'd like to see Tesla flourish and grow to it's full potential. For those of you that think Elon has destroyed big auto with his lightsaber, you're delusional. Ford and GM will SLOWLY turn the ship into the wind and weather the storm. Tesla has changed the auto industry but it will not replace it.
I don't think Elon has or will destroy big auto. I think they are destroying themselves. Elon/Tesla are coming up with a viable choice, other than the way we've been fed our whole lives. I do find it amazing that Tesla has accomplished what they have against the formidable tide that does exist. What I think has been helpful, was that some people are sick and tired of Big auto, and the oil companies. And they supported Elon as a dragon slayer. But I agree, Elon doesn't need to feed the dragon, and needs to realize his words are being used against him.
Also, like others have said, Elon doesn't waste much thought worrying about what his enemies have to say about him. All of us have faults. Even though I don't like some of Elon's conversations, I'm willing to accept him for who he is. I prefer having one powerful intelligent person calling the shots, over a boardroom full of people putting out watered down concepts.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Apparently my Threads rhetorical question has struck a nerve. This is a public square discussion on a very small scale but interesting none the less. I have read some well reasoned responses and it is good to hear other opinions.

This world is very different than the 1950's-60's of my youth and although there is a tendency to romanticize our formative years, life was easier when I was a boy. As a white male, that is easy for me to say and I strive to respect all honest non self serving opinions. That said, I do reserve the right to say STFU when appropriate.
Saying STFU is free speech!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Question, does Free Speech Absolutist (FSA) believe it's free speech to yell fire in a crowded theater that is not on fire?

I'm seriously asking. I'm not sure what is meant by FSA.

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I don't think Elon has or will destroy big auto. I think they are destroying themselves. Elon/Tesla are coming up with a viable choice, other than the way we've been fed our whole lives. I do find it amazing that Tesla has accomplished what they have against the formidable tide that does exist. What I think has been helpful, was that some people are sick and tired of Big auto, and the oil companies. And they supported Elon as a dragon slayer. But I agree, Elon doesn't need to feed the dragon, and needs to realize his words are being used against him.
Also, like others have said, Elon doesn't waste much thought worrying about what his enemies have to say about him. All of us have faults. Even though I don't like some of Elon's conversations, I'm willing to accept him for who he is. I prefer having one powerful intelligent person calling the shots, over a boardroom full of people putting out watered down concepts.
The bolded part just made all Autocrats a little moist. From the boardroom to the White House ...

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Apparently my Threads rhetorical question has struck a nerve. This is a public square discussion on a very small scale but interesting none the less. I have read some well reasoned responses and it is good to hear other opinions.

This world is very different than the 1950's-60's of my youth and although there is a tendency to romanticize our formative years, life was easier when I was a boy. As a white male, that is easy for me to say and I strive to respect all honest non self serving opinions. That said, I do reserve the right to say STFU when appropriate.
Keep on ranting, it's your right as is it Elon's to say what he wants. It's a free country brotha though many, even some here, want to control what people say because it might hurt someone's feelings.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Keep on ranting, it's your right as is it Elon's to say what he wants. It's a free country brotha though many, even some here, want to control what people say because it might hurt someone's feelings.
It's my right to say whatever I want? Even if I decide I want to yell "fire" in a crowded theater. I've heard that doing that can cause people to get hurt in the chaos. I don't think that is true, so I want to do it to see what happens. Apparently that is my right.

You are confused on what rights you have in a civilized society.

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Ranting? ... I only rant in the shower. TMI?

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Hate crimes go up every time hate speech is allowed in the public square.

I don't know how to convince you that, but it's true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlottesville_car_attack

-Crissa
Well, I'm a scientist and engineer, one with a specific focus on stats and probability, so you'd have to present evidence that free speech causes hate crimes and not rely on feelings. There is nothing to say the Charlottesville driver attacked because of free speech any more than free speech caused him to beat his mother when she took away his video games. There are lousy people in the world. Serial killers. Mass murderers. Politicians. I don't know that any of them were "created" by free speech, with is the recent common narrative for suppressing it.

And more important than that, is any possible harm created by free speech worse than the harm caused by restrictions? One of the first examples of "cancelling" that I can remember was the Dixie Chicks. They spoke out against the Iraq war and were pretty much shunned from the world as a result. That war cost around 200k lives. That was before social media muting was even a dream. We've seen the recent work to quell dissenting opinions on Covid. A lot of the dissenting opinions have been proven true or possible, (It's not spread by droplets, it may have been made in a lab, Pfizer admitted their vax was not tested and probably does not prevent spread, only reduce symptoms). But people literally could not say those things without flags, muting or banning online. The US gov't worked with social media to attack this "misinformation". There are leaks now that the gov't is also trying to reduce discussion on other "anti-America" topics, like the Afghan pull out. That's terrifying. It's a very quick slide to an authoritarian gov't when you can't have open discussion or question decisions. That's why free speech has to be absolute. As soon as you start having it on a scale, that scale can slide.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There's lots of hate crimes. I'm saying, who has been killed because of free speech. The argument against free speech is always that it creates hate crimes, but I see no evidence. I think the hate is already there. If anything, silencing voices creates more radicalization.
Thousand have been killed because of free speech. Nazi Germany, Iran. etc.
but silencing voices can also create radicalization. Desperation to be heard.

Elon did say it is all about the volume. I am waiting for something magical here.

Unfortunately differentiation and tribalism is part of human nature. It is a survival mechanism we need to work to resist at times. Empathize with people who are different. Sympathy or agreement is not necessary, nor should it be forced.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Yoda.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Thousand have been killed because of free speech. Nazi Germany, Iran. etc.
but silencing voices can also create radicalization. Desperation to be heard.

Elon did say it is all about the volume. I am waiting for something magical here.

Unfortunately differentiation and tribalism is part of human nature. It is a survival mechanism we need to work to resist at times. Empathize with people who are different. Sympathy or agreement is not necessary, nor should it be forced.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Yoda.
Iran and Nazi Germany are examples of people being killed because of speaking in a place where free speech is banned. I don't know that anyone was killed BECAUSE of the words. They were killed to prevent the words.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.