Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT?

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I was looking at the Dodge ecoboost type with cummins diesel. I was hoping they would get up over 30mpg, and the cummins would become more bulletproof like other cummins engines are. The Cybertruck came at the perfect time for me. The good of the Cybertruck sealed me, and while I look at other competing vehicles, I am most likely going CT all the way. peace
Sponsored

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The other electric pickup trucks are equipped with too many unnecessary options that take the total cost over fifty grand. Cybertruck is a very basic truck that is under fifty thousand dollars. That’s what I am looking for. That way I can trade it in right after the warranty period ends without losing too much money.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What do they have that Cybertruck doesn't?
Not assigning value to any of these in particular, but...
  • the ability to mount normal truck accessories on the bed (important for some people)
  • that gear tunnel (which is quite nice)
  • A really nice giant frunk
  • Paint color options (Paint!)
  • wood trim on the interior (optional)
  • full home backup integration,
  • a spare tire
  • Offroad bumper with hooks (option)
  • 4 motors (tank turn/ K turn)
  • Air conditioned driver seat
(That includes stuff from both F150 and Rivian and options)

Of course this ignores all the advantages the Cybertruck, but some people will place a lot of value in one or more of the above.

It is impossible to compare trucks which aren't shipping based on features which have not been demoed, but my feeling is the adjustable air suspension on the Cybertruck is going to win the day. Well that plus the absolutely massive range/ dollar spent advantage.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
IMO any time you talk about value on these cars they should talk about the cost per mile of range.

ModelRangePrice$$ per mile of range
CT Single25040k
16.00​
CT Double30050k
16.67​
CT Triple50070k
14.00​
Rivian30070k
23.33​
Rivian (Max)40080k
20.00​
Ford Pro23040k
17.40​
Ford XLT with Extended30060k
20.00​

The Ford XLT with extended is I believe the cheapest way for consumers to get the 300 miles range on the Ford.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Of course, if you only care about battery, the Ford XLT may have a bigger battery than the Cybertruck because it's so much less efficient at moving.
Good chance the Ford with 300 miles range and the 500 mile Cybertruck will have similar sized batteries. If you were to measure $$/ kWh, the Ford XLT might have the advantage.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Good chance the Ford with 300 miles range and the 500 mile Cybertruck will have similar sized batteries. If you were to measure $$/ kWh, the Ford XLT might have the advantage.
Not. A. Chance. The Ford is going to weigh 30%-40% more than the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not. A. Chance. The Ford is going to weigh 30%-40% more than the CT.
I’m pretty sure you are right about weight. Which is a big part of why I suggested the Tesla will get 500 miles range on the same sized battery the Ford gets a meager 300 mile range.

The advantage of being efficient is you get more miles with the same sized battery.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
The only other trucks I liked before Cybertruck were the Bolliinger B2 and the Rivian R1T. I really liked the simple design of the Bollinger B2, but the company does not have proven tech because they are so new and they will possibly not ever produce the truck for sale in large quantities. Also, their price is very high. I really liked everything about the Rivian except for the headlights. I also always had confidence that they would succeed (being the 2nd independent auto maker after Tesla to do so), but wanted to see what Tesla would come up with. When I watched the unveiling for the Cybertruck live, I knew I had to have it as soon as I saw the stainless steel. One of the most important features to me is that the body is durable and will last a long time. Stainless steel is corrosion resistant, and the thick body panels are dent and ding resistant. And being a Tesla, I trust their tech. The only thing I don't like about the Cybertruck is the size, because I want a single cab small to medium size pickup.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The Lightning and R1T will definitely steal some Cybertruck reservations because of the production delay until Q4 of 2022. I predict volume production won’t kick in until 2023.

I’m pretty impressed with what I have seen so far with the R1T. I like the clean sheet of paper approach as opposed to the Lighting where Ford went to the parts bin to help achieve economies of scale. They simply modified the ICE chassis and it uses the same aluminum body and interior with some minor modifications. The lack of carbon credits is part of the reason why the R1T starts at a steep $67.5 before options.

Last edited:

411business

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CyberSecurity Professional
Country flag
We were going to buy 2022 Chevy Silverado Trucks with Super Cruise (Self Driving) until test driving a Tesla last week. Now we are all in with Tesla Reservation and waiting on the CyberTruck release next year. The FSD 10 Beta is out so we are ready to roll :)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
my feeling is the adjustable air suspension on the Cybertruck is going to win the day
I doubt Rivian has a load mode but I think it does have a nice air suspension. The big thing for me about air suspension is the ride more than other uses it has and from what I hear, Lightning has a mighty nice ride without it. The ride without the cost of air suspension maintenance is not such a bad thing. I do have to admit though, CT’s ramp in combination with larger bed and load mode sounds nicer and nicer as I get older.

for me CT2, Lightening Pro and R1S are still in the running in that order. I would like to spend less and get it earlier so what ends up in my driveway still is up in the air.
Sponsored