Are you a CyberTruck reservation holder who made multiple reservations and why?

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
CT is going to be the most in-demand vehicle in existence. Some people will be waiting 5 years or more to get theirs. It would be extremely unfair for Tesla to allow people at the top of the list to buy 2, 3, or more trucks while others wait.

Surely Tesla will do something to prevent this. Why can't they just limit it to one truck per person? I know there are people on here who ordered "one for me, one for my son" etc, but is it really fair to fill those duplicate orders first?

It's in Tesla's interest to get the wait time down to something reasonable, THEN fill the duplicate orders.
I only have 1 order. I still think anyone that placed an order, Pre order deposit, secured that place in line. If not then the "line " is meaning less. This is how lines work. Your wait time may vary. The whole list of orders and what magic or karma effects them by location, variant and such is all just guesses. At this point Tesla will make what ever model and variant that they want to. The history of other models shows that the pricier vehicles tends to be prioritized. This may or not be true this time.
I have seen all the posts about why it is better to make more single or dual trucks that tri or quads due to batteries, but in the end Tesla will deliver, and I hope sooner than later, the CT is the way they chose.
Sponsored

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
I find the possibility of speculators ("flippers") a unique twist in all this Cybertruck discussion. The wife and I bought Tesla's (MY,M3) in 2021 that are now, even with thousands of miles on them, purportedly worth 10-20% more than what we paid. I'm pretty sure that never, in the history of production automobiles has there been this degree of steady appreciation of purchased mass produced vehicles.

With the CyberTruck being such a unique and compelling vehicle with huge demand, it will probably have similar post purchase appreciation. Humans being the enterprising creatures we are see an opportunity in this supply demand issue and it's possible that some (perhaps many) with little or no interest in the product invest $100 a pop as a resale opportunity. There is likely another class of multi reservation holders who might see a buy 3 get one free (or cheap) as their modus operandi.

It would be great to know what percentage of the reservation holders are in this flipper category. I'm thinking the number percentage wise might be quite high (10-20%?). A larger deposit once production and deliverIes start would flush many non-capitalized flippers but in the case of the well heeled opportunists, it could be a fast cash grab opportunity. Another way to avoid this would to limit the number of private party reservations per person (2?) but that is very un-capitalist and I can't see Tesla doing that.

I never thought I'd see this phenomena with a production automobile ...
I really wish people would actually read their Cybertruck Preorder Agreement before making posts about delivery time frame. price and multiple Cybertruck orders. I actually read it before my preorder deposit. I have 1 order at about #27,000. I then quickly placed additional orders for my wife and son with their credit cards (son was still in school and I have access to his credit card details).
Tesla preorder agreement doesn't guarantee any actual production or any price for the Cybertruck. It also only sells to end customers. I remember seeing a Youtube video of a guy laughing as he placed about 10 Cybertruck preorders. Tesla will almost certainly cancel all multiple orders like that. Now I plan to keep my Cybertruck. However if I don't like it that much I'll probable sell in 6-12 months figuring it won't loss value due to slow ramp up and high demand. My wife and son are free to keep their Cybertrucks but they have zero interest in driving a truck. If we follow through with the purchase 1 or both of those they may quickly get resold. I have a good friend that doesn't have a preorder but in the last year or so has become a huge fan of Musk. He's in the top 0.01% of wealth so he could certainly buy a Cybertruck at a premium on a resale. I'll let him have it at cost if he wants it. He did express interest a couple months ago when I mentioned my early orders. I always understood there would be no Cybertruck sales in 2021, that the price if honored at all would be very short lived and multiple price increases were likely to happen over time. So if we get the 3rd Cybertruck it would likely be resold for a profit.
Just like the production of the Cybertruck, all of this is subject to change and nothing is guaranteed.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
All someone has to do is re-evaluate when the final price, configuration, and options come out, esp. if they don't have a super early reservation number, so they can see how things go. Worst case then if they re-evaluate soundly, they lose $100 per truck.

I do think that transferring a reservation number prior to purchase should be forbidden, don't want a secondary market in marked-up reservation numbers.

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
I have two reservations, both in the 8k range on RN#, one for tri, and one for dual. I originally wanted the dual, but am considering keeping one and either selling the other or cancelling one of them all together. This will obviously depend on how the demand is, and whether there is a profit to be made. No risk, $100 placeholder.

Bigfoot DeLorean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
I have two tri motors on order. I ordered right after Elon said "and they're available for order now on our site". I ordered one, but got a funky error message from apple pay. So I did it again, same thing. Woke up the next morning with two confirmed reservations.

Called my cousin and told him I ordered one. He gave me a ton if grief...they're ugly, what were you thinking, etc etc. Then I told him I'd ordered two by mistake and he says "oh...can I have the other one?" šŸ˜‚

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
4 - one for each current family member in our household here in AU. 1 in USA. Tried to persuade others in the family and amongst friends, and got 3 nephews to order as well. The "ugly" factor was the main turnoff with most of them, especially with the ladies. Bad luck though, I've bought ugly cars before and utility has one them over in the end. But we will all be keeping ours as our boys will probably start moving out into their own houses by the time they get theirs here in Australia. I thought about flipping one or two extra, but that would of meant making multiple orders per name, and had I done so I'd probably have persuaded myself to keep them and use them on the farm by the time they arrived. :)

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Two - I made the first one right after hearing about the CT on 12DEC2019. Tri-motor w/FSD @$7k.
I made the second one just before FSD jumped from $8k to $10k on 22OCT2020. Also Tri-motor.

I made the second one for a couple of reasons:

It's only $100
If something happens to my first one (accident etc.) I was afraid I'd have to get back in line. And wait for a second one.
If a friend or family member really likes my truck I can sell it to them when my second one becomes available.
Lock in FSD at $8k.

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I don't normally read boiler plate agreements but after a strong admonishment by a poster here, I re-read my CyberTruck Pre-Order Agreement. It is a brief and intentionally generalized agreement with several notable statements in terms of refunds and cancellations. As is the case with most agreements, it was written in the favor of the authoring entity It does give Tesla the discretionary ability to cancel an order deemed by them to be a possible for resale. The specific language is:

" No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after you place your pre-order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith. "

The posts thus far in this Thread would indicate there is a good number of multi unit orders in place that would seem to be in direct contravention of this agreement IF Tesla elected to take that position.

It is apparent to me that there are indeed CyberTruck reservation holders who see this primarily as a speculative investment. My guess is that many of those speculators (flippers) would not have much interest in the production details of CyberTruck (outside of delivery time) and accordingly not have much presence on an enthusiasts website like this one.

Circling back to the reason for this Thread, I appreciate the candor of some who posted their multi-reservation story here. I am more convinced than ever that I will never know the full scope of this issue but it does exist and unless Tesla takes a strong position and enforces the agreement, it will affect delivery time for people who simply want the CyberTruck for their personal use.

Last edited:

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Got 2 by accident, Tesla site was crazy busy. If I canā€™t flip one to offset the cost for another I will just sell to friends who doesnā€™t have a place in line but by then my SUV/baby wagon might need replacing at this rate and LR dual motor at 60k would be awesome.

im sure Teslaā€™s agreement is really targeting people with 10 or more reservations, doubt they will spend time on people with 1 or 2 extra orders. There are many who bought 2 model 3 or Y.

Last edited:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORĀ®
Country flag
I have one CT3 w/FSD on order from the morning after the reveal. I think I might order a second one after I see the final specs, warranties, etc. I don't care if lots of people have multiple orders. Most of them will not fill those orders. Many with one ordered will not go through with it. I assume the few that do fill their multi-truck order, will barely make a dent in the delivery timeline given that we don't even know what the locational roll out plan is going to be yet or how they are going to prioritize the CT4 since it wasn't even a reservation option. I assume everyone with a reservation will get an opportunity to "upgrade" and I also assume the rollout will begin with the trucks they will make the most profit on. I would also assume it will start with states near the factory that already have Telsa insurance in place, but that is a complete guess. Too much speculation and guessing to care much about people holding more then one reservation.

Daddystired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I find the possibility of speculators ("flippers") a unique twist in all this Cybertruck discussion. The wife and I bought Tesla's (MY,M3) in 2021 that are now, even with thousands of miles on them, purportedly worth 10-20% more than what we paid. I'm pretty sure that never, in the history of production automobiles has there been this degree of steady appreciation of purchased mass produced vehicles.

With the CyberTruck being such a unique and compelling vehicle with huge demand, it will probably have similar post purchase appreciation. Humans being the enterprising creatures we are see an opportunity in this supply demand issue and it's possible that some (perhaps many) with little or no interest in the product invest $100 a pop as a resale opportunity. There is likely another class of multi reservation holders who might see a buy 3 get one free (or cheap) as their modus operandi.

It would be great to know what percentage of the reservation holders are in this flipper category. I'm thinking the number percentage wise might be quite high (10-20%?). A larger deposit once production and deliverIes start would flush many non-capitalized flippers but in the case of the well heeled opportunists, it could be a fast cash grab opportunity. Another way to avoid this would to limit the number of private party reservations per person (2?) but that is very un-capitalist and I can't see Tesla doing that.

I never thought I'd see this phenomena with a production automobile ...
I saw a podcast with Elon musk and his brother kimbal. With about 5 tesla nerds. All of them said they reserved minimum of three cybertrucks. Iā€™m like wtf. All configuration because they didnā€™t know which one will come out firstā€¦. Understandable. But one chick said she had single motor. Two dual motors. And a tri motor.. she said because she wants two trucks.. I donā€™t know how thatā€™ll hold up once it comes true.
All to say. I really think 30 percent of cybertruck reserves, reserved all three models. Just to be safe.
I hope once tesla reannounces it. They do a 1k final deposit from the reservation people. Or something to wing out the three reservation holders.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I saw a podcast with Elon musk and his brother kimbal. With about 5 tesla nerds. All of them said they reserved minimum of three cybertrucks. Iā€™m like wtf. All configuration because they didnā€™t know which one will come out firstā€¦. Understandable. But one chick said she had single motor. Two dual motors. And a tri motor.. she said because she wants two trucks.. I donā€™t know how thatā€™ll hold up once it comes true.
All to say. I really think 30 percent of cybertruck reserves, reserved all three models. Just to be safe.
I hope once tesla reannounces it. They do a 1k final deposit from the reservation people. Or something to wing out the three reservation holders.
Iā€™ve been suggesting the first 100k orders would have a high take rate, but if there is a lot of that going on, maybe there will be a lot of unfilled orders.

Iā€™m sure some people who have 3 ordered will buy all 3 and flip 2, but a lot of people donā€™t have the cash to pull that off.
Sponsored