Are you a CyberTruck reservation holder who made multiple reservations and why?

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
A little trip back in time to 2019, revealed this Price list for Model 3's a little before the Nov. 21 2019 reveal of the Cybertruck. Tesla came out with prices for the CT, estimating that they would start selling the $39,900 single at the end of 2021, and the AWD models weren't even slated to come out until late 2022. They had to know at those prices there was a very good possibility for huge demand. So, to argue that Tesla won't sell CT's at less than Model 3's doesn't sound that far-fetched. They were assuming they could build the CT for less, in 2019. At that time, a lot of us were arguing that it was strange that Tesla would possibly be cannibalizing their own vehicle sales way back then.

Tesla Model 3 offer in the U.S. as of November 1, 2019

• Standard Range RWD (not listed, price from summer): $34,725
    ($35,400 MSRP + $1,200 DST - $1,875 federal tax credit)
  • Standard Range Plus RWD:$38,815
    ($39,490 MSRP + $1,200 DST - $1,875 federal tax credit)
  • Long Range AWD: $47,815
    ($48,490 MSRP + $1,200 DST - $1,875 federal tax credit)
  • Performance LR AWD: $56,315
    ($56,990 MSRP + $1,200 DST - $1,875 federal tax credit)
So we are on the same page. The single motor CT was advertised as 15% higher than the cheapest model 3 at the time with similar drive and range configuration. So translating that to their current pricing, the cheapest model 3 is about $48k which would put the single motor CT around $55k and the dual around $65k. With the tri or quad around $85k. I can agree to that.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So we are on the same page. The single motor CT was advertised as 15% higher than the cheapest model 3 at the time with similar drive and range configuration. So translating that to their current pricing, the cheapest model 3 is about $48k which would put the single motor CT around $55k and the dual around $65k. With the tri or quad around $85k. I can agree to that.
Hahaha, you're looking at the Cheapy model 3. Look at the whole list and then, think comparable.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This wouldn’t surprise me either.

Was commenting more on their cost structure than end prices. I think Tesla really pushed hard on optimizing the manufacturing process. Fewer parts, less waste, more efficient manufacturing, etc etc. The Model 3 is still based on processes they created 4 years ago and they constrained it to something that looked like a modern car. With the Cybertruck they started with first principals and tossed everything out.

All that said. No clue where prices end up. I’m pretty sure people will be surprised by the value proposition, but what you posted is in line with that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The model three increased in margin since that time as well. It was only about 20% in 2019. The long-range variant has barely changed price, but the profit on them increased by like $5K. So, more than the price increase.

-Crissa

CyberJay

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD (two), Model Y
Occupation
Oncology Biotech Exec | GOD BLESS THE USA
Country flag
when I ordered, my son was a junior in college, so one for me and one for him "when it becomes available".
Turned out my foresight was pretty good - as I just received my invite for ONE of the TWO - and he'll be totally ready for the second one when they let me order.

One for me... one for my son.
We are both "super car guys" who have sworn to never buy an ICE again.... as much as we love them.

EVs are too much fun to drive - and we dont care about the sound and growl b/c everything else is so much better.
Sponsored