Cirrus SR22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
After getting the CT on Wednesday, I can say the range is as advertised or better. Wh/m since my last charge and after driving nearly 200 miles of freeway/streets with 2000 foot Gaines on a 45 mile leg on the freeway and back down.

This works out to 328 miles for a full pack which is more than advertised. The aero covers should improve a bit.

Although I drove 65-70 on freeway and speed limit on streets, energy management is key. For example, on a long down hill I coast by not regenerating nor using any power. If you see the green bar, you are regenerating. Press the power pedal slightly to remove regen. If you see the gray power bar go up, you pressed too far and are now using power. Sometimes going faster downhill will increase range because you stop regen and coast as long as you stay within the speed limit. Of course if speed picks up too much you must lift and start regen. Understanding the energy management is key for long range. I call this the Scott Dixon approach, if you follow Indy Car racing you will understand.

IMG_5964.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
After getting the CT on Wednesday, I can say the range is as advertised or better. Wh/m since my last charge and after driving nearly 200 miles of freeway/streets with 2000 foot Gaines on a 45 mile leg on the freeway and back.

IMG_5964.jpeg
Great to hear the truck is giving you decent watts per mile.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Cool. Thanks for posting to offset all the other negative crap out there! It’s good to see range can be as advertised. Other posts have gotten close, but not as high as you appear to have done.
Yeah, most of the early tests were done at high speed with plenty of launches and braking thrown in for good measure (and probably with tires not inflated ideally). No car and especially no truck, is going to get it's EPA combined Hwy/City rated efficiency at high speed with people amped up on having one of the first Cybertrucks. Slow down a bit, run proper pressures, and you will go a lot further. It should improve a bit more when the aero wheel covers come back.

I'm jealous, enjoy your ride!

Gundo

First Name
Gundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S
Country flag
Thanks for this! Didn't actually know that you can turn off regen going downhill with a throttle blip - will have to try that in my '23 MY LR Nice to have some positive comments, especially with all the FUD being thrown around

Cyberostachu

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla.Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After getting the CT on Wednesday, I can say the range is as advertised or better. Wh/m since my last charge and after driving nearly 200 miles of freeway/streets with 2000 foot Gaines on a 45 mile leg on the freeway and back down.

This works out to 328 miles for a full pack which is more than advertised. The aero covers should improve a bit.

Although I drove 65-70 on freeway and speed limit on streets, energy management is key. For example, on a long down hill I coast by not regenerating nor using any power. If you see the green bar, you are regenerating. Press the power pedal slightly to remove regen. If you see the gray power bar go up, you pressed too far and are now using power. Sometimes going faster downhill will increase range because you stop regen and coast as long as you stay within the speed limit. Of course if speed picks up too much you must lift and start regen. Understanding the energy management is key for long range. I call this the Scott Dixon approach, if you follow Indy Car racing you will understand.

IMG_5964.jpeg
I've not received my CT yet but my question is, in a long downhill, why would I choose to not regen

IMG_5964.jpeg
I like your post but my question is, when going on a long downhill, why would I remove the regen? I thought that's the chance to recoup some energy lost.
Thanks.

CyberOnSpinners

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Foundation - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Engineer, self-employed
Country flag

IMG_5964.jpeg
This. Does not make sense to me. Not using regen speeds you up, yes, but regen is recharging your batteries. Your argument assumes that removing regen by tapping the throttle gets you were you are going ever so slightly faster. I get that, but regen should be refilling your battery fast enough to provide enough energy to actually go FURTHER than you are getting when removing it. If you want to test, turn it all the way off and take a trip from full charge at go 100 miles. Next day, turn regen on and do your best to take the same trip with same accel/decel and you’re pretty much guaranteed to get more range while regen is IN USE.

KG206

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual motor
Country flag
What’s the logic behind not using regen, which provides energy back to supply?

Are you claiming regen in fact uses power? Not my experience in Model 3, I’ve watched percentage increase coming down a mountain pass.

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
This "coasting" technique is interesting. What you are claiming is that by cancelling regen on a down slope, you are covering more miles per wH of energy than by converting kinetic energy to electrical energy and reusing the electrical energy. It means that on the down slope, the speed of the vehicle increases avoiding the energy conversion loss that occurs with regen. The only problem I see is the amount of attention required of the driver to minimize the regen. It won't work using any type a ADAS, e.g., Autopilot or FSD.

HTownQ

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla CyberTruck
Country flag

IMG_5964.jpeg
That’s a great explanation of how to manage the power/battery from the green & grey indicator on screen. My experience has been great with range in the city with highway and main roads combined.
On freeway driving all seemed good up to about 65. Here in Texas we have long stretches of roads at 75 mph speed limits. I noticed loss of range at 75-80. I do not have anything concrete but it seemed to be 100 miles used 125ish miles of battery life.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
That speed helps carry you up the next hill... Truckers been doing that forever.

Also - in the 70's my dad used to say "drive like you have a egg between your foot and the peddle, and don't break the egg..." Then we used some math to exactly compute the mileage gained on a tank of gas - fun memory. :)

MetalBonsai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Model 3, '17 RX350, eventually CT
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
To clarify: you're being gentle with the accelerator to keep your grey 'drain' bar down. And you're staying out of 'regen' territory generally to maintain speed over long distances. Makes sense.

To maximize regen on exit ramps or steep downhills, I try to accelerate slightly (safely) while coasting to fill out the left pointing regen bar. If you coast fast enough downhill, the left bar goes into grey which I perceive as the limit of regen, so no point in going too fast.

And I try to let regen do all my breaking for me, trying to get it so it stops me slightly before where I need to stop, and I gently accelerate into the point where I stop.

Another hot tip to improve efficiency is to never let anyone else in the car. Don't get married or have kids, don't go out with friends, don't drive your mom to the airport. Just you. Other humans are a serious battery drain. 😬

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y.
Occupation
Investor
Country flag
Here's my range. Hwy 80% at 60 to 65 which is the flow along the coast hwy near Santa Barbara, CA. Temps were 45 to 60.
IMG_0465.jpg

OP
OP

Cirrus SR22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
That speed helps carry you up the next hill... Truckers been doing that forever.

Also - in the 70's my dad used to say "drive like you have a egg between your foot and the peddle, and don't break the egg..." Then we used some math to exactly compute the mileage gained on a tank of gas - fun memory. :)
On a downhill hill you ideally want to not see any of the grey bar nor green bar, that’s coasting which will maximize efficiency. It takes a very precise foot to do it but it’s a fun challenge. Not Sure why the software won’t just do this automatically as in our GLE450. The GLE450 is a mild hybrid and when driven in Economy mode the engine cuts out on a downhill and it will coast. If you tape the brakes Regen kicks in. It’s automatic, in the CT it requires skill to accomplish this manually.
Sponsored