Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I don’t think I have seen this view before. It shows the giga casting details on the underside. The body was in the metal scrap pile at Giga TX.

I’m pretty confident that competitors are salivating to tear down and reverse engineer the Cybertruck.

The novel construction design has never been attempted before on a pickup truck. The CT uses a structural battery pack, traditional BIW for the cabin and front and rear aluminum alloy Giga castings for the front and rear end.

It appears that the BIW section will be spray painted black. You can tell by the way the black color fades out on the BIW. I figured they would dip the entire BIW in a tank for production vehicles.

Truck bed section at top of photo, front end on the bottom

Tesla Cybertruck Bottom side of Cybertruck body-in-white BIW with Giga castings attached 0726A58C-DB2F-40E7-97E0-BE4144E2C296
Sponsored

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
I don’t think I have seen this view before. It shows the giga casting details on the underside. The body was in the metal scrap pile at Giga TX.

truck bed section at top of photo, front end on the bottom
0726A58C-DB2F-40E7-97E0-BE4144E2C296.jpeg
Curiosity has the better of me. The cab is painted black externally, but only about 3/4 of the way up! This is odd......

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That sure is alot of room for a battery pack, though.

-Crissa
This was posted by cvalue13 on the 4680 Structural Pack thread a few days ago.

It is interesting to see the underside, especially the cast ribbing that shows the loadpaths through them. It is also pretty clear from it that the cast itself doesn't have any visible structural connection points to the outside SS skins.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
This was posted by cvalue13 on the 4680 Structural Pack thread a few days ago.

It is interesting to see the underside, especially the cast ribbing that shows the loadpaths through them. It is also pretty clear from it that the cast itself doesn't have any visible structural connection points to the outside SS skins.

What did you come up with for a max pack size?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Sorry haven't done that yet, I'll have a look if I can add something to the discussion in the structural pack thread tomorrow.
I'd like to know as well how it works, at least to get a feel of what is possible down the line.

In saying that though, the physical size of the pack is only one half of the equation if they are cell constrained.
There is some good indication out there that only a 300mile DM will be available on launch, and thats around 120kWh if they get the efficiency up to make it work.

I also have thought some more about the consequences of going to a 800V pack. We might be in for some positive surprises with the DM performance.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
If it’s a single layer it cant be much bigger than 120 kWh. I originally suspected that the vault cover coil would stop the pack for extending past the rear panel of the cab but it looks like it extends past about 8”. Either way there is no way that floor area is double the X which has about a 100 kWH pack. To get near the 200 kWh needed for 500 mi. That pack will have to be double up in some areas. My guess is it will be 8” thick in those areas.