JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If the quarter panels is only decorative and attached by a few flimsy brackets as in the photos, then it won't matter that much how thick it is as it will simply detach on impact. Good job it's not a exoskeleton then I suppose. Lol. :LOL:

But, the thickness and resulting surface hardness does affect impact energies with persons, so I'm expecting a light gauge front panel assembly to make it safer for pedestrians, al mounted on the vehicle to absorb further impact energies in the impact range and area.
Sponsored

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Didn't anyone notice the two that hit the rear panel?

The impacts don't appear like a different material.

-Crissa
Good point

Someone needs to shoot the front

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
If you say "bulletproof to a handgaun" and then use a submachinegun, with a longer barrel, to test it, I am verry satisfied.
It is over delivering on that point in my view.

Allthough using an HK MP5 would be a modern alternative.
Those are actually in every german patrol car, after the Munich Olympia and RAF terror in the last century.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
That person Was a good shot!
Good is the operative here. They went a little too far to the right and struck the rear quarter panel. The damage is a bit harder to get to on the leading edge, that assumes they were in fact planning to change out the doors (?) 'ONLY'

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Excellent shot

Cybertruck in Braille

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
We will soon get the SS thickness facts from the Monroe and Associates Cybertruck tear down. I predict it will be their most popular series to date.

The Tommy gun test proved that the door skins, rear quarter panels and tailgate are 3mm thick. The front fenders, valance and hood? We will see.

CoachTerry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Wellness Coach
Country flag

Kremmen

First Name
Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR. Some project cars, some bikes
Occupation
Boring
Country flag

-Crissa
Yes, someone pointed out it wasn't definitive because the area has structure behind it, with which I agree.

However I took Greg Wester's (!) shot of the rear of (he says) Elon's car, where he claimed the panels were roughly kitchen sink gauge only ('because they can't get this pig to do a 79-mile highway range otherwise' or words to that effect) and scaled it to 74" at the sail tips. I got these dims.

I scaled the sail points to 74" because we now know the bumper actually is 72" and the points seem to be similar or slightly wider. They might be more; the same measuring guy said 78" overall at the rear. But even at 74" I can't get the panels much under 2.8mm thick...

I think it is possible the doors only were shot up because they're just the simplest, largest target. The QPs are broken up a lot more with wheel well and fender.

Tesla Cybertruck Bulletproof tested Cybertruck spotted!!  Musk confirms: "No bullets penetrated into the passenger compartment." [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1697992211779

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

-Crissa
I think they didn't want to shoot the front and rear quarterpanels because they are a structural part of the exoskeleton. While it's true that they probably lowered the side impact protection slightly (by shooting up the doors), they were very careful not to shoot actual portions of the chassis. The two impacts on the rear quarter panel are obvious boo-boo's (and probably close enough to the edge of the panel to not affect the chassis strength or alignment anyway).

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Good is the operative here. They went a little too far to the right and struck the rear quarter panel. The damage is a bit harder to get to on the leading edge, that assumes they were in fact planning to change out the doors (?) 'ONLY'
Mate you should try shooting a AK on full auto, it goes anywhere but down. I'm surprised the Tommy didn't take out the windows and they managed to keep it on just the doors.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think they didn't want to shoot the front and rear quarterpanels because they are a structural part of the exoskeleton. While it's true that they probably lowered the side impact protection slightly (by shooting up the doors), they were very careful not to shoot actual portions of the chassis. The two impacts on the rear quarter panel are obvious boo-boo's (and probably close enough to the edge of the panel to not affect the chassis strength or alignment anyway).
I think it's only going to drive around in circles to the left now that those two bullet holes in the rear quarter panel have completely shot the alignment of the exoskeleton!! lol.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think it's only going to drive around in circles to the left now that those two bullet holes in the rear quarter panel have completely shot the alignment of the exoskeleton!! lol.
There are no bullet holes, only imact craters. The cold-rolled hardened stainless steel did not perforate. And the damage is probably too near the edge of the panel for them to matter significantly from a structural standpoint.

I'm impressed that you are starting to come around, with the availability of new information.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There are no bullet holes, only imact craters. The cold-rolled hardened stainless steel did not perforate. And the damage is probably too near the edge of the panel for them to matter significantly from a structural standpoint.

I'm impressed that you are starting to come around, with the availability of new information.
Lol reminds me of that joke on how many holes you have in your head that blond people can't work out. 🤣 🤣 😚
Sponsored