Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Yes, I looked at it yesterday on the web. Looks like an awesome resort. My best friend's wife worked in Callaway Golf headquarters in Carlsbad and she told me Callaway Corvette owner was family. So I looked at that connection yesterday. Here's the page that shows the connections. https://www.callawaycars.com/homepage/the-company/callaway-family/ This could explain why they may be prejudiced to EV's. My 16 yr. old is a motor head and he has nightmares of Electric Self driving cars being the future. He worked at our local Toyota Dealer as an intern until Covid came along. So what I'm getting at is, there are lots of people that desperately don't want to see the future you and I are excited about.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Very few of restaurants are located near superchargers, though. Very few towns have superchargers. Very few state routes have superchargers, etc.

Anyhow, my point was that an L2 charger can be added to the grid easily. It's like adding any appliance hook-up. But superchargers need to be located near certain types of substations. Many towns don't even have them (mine doesn't).

-Crissa

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A EV charging station a a mall or restaurant should be placed next to the security guard shack to monitor the idle time of the EV so that more cars will be plugged in and actually charging.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
A EV charging station a a mall or restaurant should be placed next to the security guard shack to monitor the idle time of the EV so that more cars will be plugged in and actually charging.
Tesla already has this covered with their Idle fee structure. Your app notifies you when the charge is almost complete. If the station is 50% full, idle fees apply. If they're 100% full fees double.

Here's Tesla's info: https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-idle-fee

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Level 2 charging should just be plentiful enough that it doesn't matter how many cars are plugged in. Nothing stopping the stations themselves from throttling amperage.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Today I learned that in Hawaii, malls and restaurants have security guard shacks. No such thing around here.

Also I have never found myself in a position to want to charge at a mall or restaurant. Have you? Why, what are the parameters?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I charged at a destination charger (not Tesla) at a restaurant for the first time (in 2 -1/2 years driving BEV) a couple of nights ago. The "parameters" were:
d (distance to nearest supercharger): 45 mi
n (number of other charging opportunities in the town): 0
S (SoC): 48%

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
While I still think charging at hotels is important, I'm not as sold on restaurants and malls. Level 2 charging is just too slow to be super useful.

Go grab a burger, come out and your car has... 4 more miles of range. Maybe if I stay a full hour I can get 10 miles of range, I can just hang out in my car and watch videos for a bit. If you are young and broke hanging out at the Denny's for 3 hours so you can get 60 miles of free range added sounds like a neat trick.

Now, imagine if you run that restaurant. Do you really want people hanging out in your parking lot and lingering four hours at a time waiting for their cars to top off after spending $7 on a Grand Slam and a large glass of water?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I agree with SwampNut. I see little value in looking for an EV specific parking spot. Uncoiling the cord and plugging in my vehicle for less than an hour that I'm at a store or restaurant, only to unplug and recoil it. A 110 plug will pump in maybe 3 miles of energy in one hour. What's so important about adding a couple miles of range. I'm thinking I'd rather just plug in at my house and every morning have all the range I'm going to need.
It seems silly to run around and plug in my vehicle, for a couple of miles of juice, when I don't even need the juice.
Plus it's ridiculous, making parking places closest to the establishment EV only parking. That creates anger, That's not going to cause people to want an EV. As more people get EV's, we'd get more EV only parking spaces? That just doesn't agree with me.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Now, imagine if you run that restaurant. Do you really want people hanging out in your parking lot and lingering four hours at a time waiting for their cars to top off after spending $7 on a Grand Slam and a large glass of water?
Answer to that is obviously "Yes". Were it "No" they would take the chargers out.

And there is a courtesy protocol attached to the use of these things as well. If I'm at a single slow charger which is the only one in town and I leave the car for a burger I'll leave a sticky on the car with my cell phone number and the encouragement to call if someone needs the charger. On another recent trip I yielded up a CHAdeMO charger before completing my charge to a nice young family that arrived while I was still charging.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I agree with SwampNut. I see little value in looking for an EV specific parking spot. Uncoiling the cord and plugging in my vehicle for less than an hour that I'm at a store or restaurant, only to unplug and recoil it.
It's like the extra battery. When you don't need it it's pretty useless. But when you do need it you need it.

Plus it's rediculous making parking places closest to the establishment EV only parking. That creates anger,
That's doubtless true in hustle/bustle/I'm_so_important urban areas. If you get out in the countryside people become polite.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Answer to that is obviously "Yes". Were it "No" they would take the chargers out.
This doesn't track. Most restaurants have never put the chargers in.

In fact, I don't know of any local restaurants with free public chargers.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That's doubtless true in hustle/bustle/I'm_so_important urban areas. If you get out in the countryside people become polite.
LOL, I totally get what your saying. Pace of life, has a major influence on politeness. However, I really don't think it will help EV adoption, if EV's get special treatment.

Edit: Actually politeness is what I'm talking about. I don't think it's polite to expect free fuel and taking cut's in line. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: