A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The picture is too blurry for me to see what you are describing but I have seen in at least one posting somewhere that when thick stainless in bent a V is cut away along the bend line. That material, if not removed, would make the bend hard to do as there would be no place for that metal to go. The result is two sheets with beveled edges meeting at the proper angle joined by a relatively tiny hinge. If needed strength at the joint could be restored by a few spot welds.

This is a possible explanation, not necessarily the explanation. My stainless fabrication experience is limited to bolting a couple of angles to a brewery floor to keep some fermenters from rolling around.
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
The picture is too blurry for me to see what you are describing but I have seen in at least one posting somewhere that when thick stainless in bent a V is cut away along the bend line. That material, if not removed, would make the bend hard to do as there would be no place for that metal to go. The result is two sheets with beveled edges meeting at the proper angle joined by a relatively tiny hinge. If needed strength at the joint could be restored by a few spot welds.

This is a possible explanation, not necessarily the explanation. My stainless fabrication experience is limited to bolting a couple of angles to a brewery floor to keep some fermenters from rolling around.
There are actually woodworking router bits (can be used on a CNC machine too) that allow similar to be done on a sheet of plywood.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Anything will eventually be destroyed if you expose it to salt, sunshine or children.

This thing will be tougher than a normal car

Last edited:

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Its not like the entire vehicle is made out of stainless. There will still be parts in the suspension, axles, and drive train that will be regular steel and would be subject to corrosion.

Also, its not clear to me that every panel on the entire vehicle is 3mm thick. That would be a heck of a lot of weight.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
About the weight of the 3mm stainless body....

How much does the frame of an F150 weigh? I'd say it's "a heck of a lot"
The CT has no frame. The CT trades the weight of a frame for extra weight in the body.
The body of the CT is probably about the same weight as the body and frame of a regular truck.

And really, the body of a regular pickup serves no purpose other than keeping the weather out.
With CT, at least the body is serving a purpose that adds capability.

Right now I wish I had a picture of my brother's dodge power-wagon from the 1970's. It died as a road vehicle in the early 80's, but he used it as a tractor until about five years ago. Nothing but four wheels, a frame, a motor, a seat, and a steering wheel. Who needs a body?

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The SS body is a major selling point in my book. It will be interesting to see how the engineers will meet federal crash standards and Tesla’s safety culture using SS. My guess is they will have to make the SS thinner than 3mm for the hood and front fenders.

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
Anything will eventually be destroyed if you expose it to salt, sunshine or children.

This thing will be tougher than a normal car
I’m amazed how many new(er) truck owners are backing their trucks down boat launches and into salt water. I’ve seen salt water up to the bottom of doors. It won’t happen for a while, but I remember one guy who had rusted out rocker panels and badly rusted floor boards. Salt water can also wreak havoc on suspension and brake components.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I’m amazed how many new(er) truck owners are backing their trucks down boat launches and into salt water. I’ve seen salt water up to the bottom of doors. It won’t happen for a while, but I remember one guy who had rusted out rocker panels and badly rusted floor boards. Salt water can also wreak havoc on suspension and brake components.
LOL, I'll never forget the time I was camping in Baja on a beach that was 2 1/2 hour drive on dirt roads about 250 miles below the border. Anyway this guy in a brand new 4x4 truck shows up and drives straight down across the sand and parks his truck in the ocean, jumps out and starts washing the grime off his truck. With the salt water from the Pacific Ocean! Needless to say we all came to the immediate conclusion. That truck is SCREWED!!!

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
LOL, I'll never forget the time I was camping in Baja on a beach that was 2 1/2 hour drive on dirt roads about 250 miles below the border. Anyway this guy in a brand new 4x4 truck shows up and drives straight down across the sand and parks his truck in the ocean, jumps out and starts washing the grime off his truck. With the salt water from the Pacific Ocean! Needless to say we all came to the immediate conclusion. That truck is SCREWED!!!
Need a database to report these VIN’s! A second owner could unexpectedly run into a lot of bad unexpected surprises.

My dad lives in a small town with a Navy base. I get the feeling some of these folks end up selling these vehicles once they’re redeployed after a couple years and don’t have any concern for dipping a $40K+ truck into saltwater.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
$40k is an entry level full size pickup. A new Ford F250 will easily set you back $55-$60k. Add another $9k if you want the Powerstroke diesel option.

CTM

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Cybertruckin Magazine contributor
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Corrosion resistance in Cybertruck may not be perfect tumblr_n83mlxejRD1qbi7epo1_1280

Who can resist a good Buffet, I sure do miss them. This is my 86 P30 GMC Value Van, In Texas I believe, on my drive back to Michigan 5 or 6 years ago. This is a Michigan truck except for the 4 years I lived in it in California, was a city of Livonia municipal vehicle, I've had it for 10 years now. The aluminum body has done great over the last 34 years, underneath it is still a Michigan truck.
I have said it before, I am a van guy...but when I saw them roll out the Cybertruck, with Stainless and 16" clearance, twas love at first sight. With the new data coming out on battery life, we are going to need stainless so the body lasts as long as the batteries :)

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford did. Museum in Cleveland. OH . This is the best car show in the world. I always thought they were aluminum.

img_5562-1024x768.jpg
aluminum.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/stainless-steel-fords.cfm

img_5562-1024x768.jpg
Ford did. Museum in Cleveland. OH . This is the best car show in the world. I always thought they were aluminum.

img_5562-1024x768.jpg
aluminum.

img_5562-1024x768.jpg

img_5562-1024x768.jpg
aluminum.

img_5562-1024x768.jpg
They made cars like that at the end of a run, because they broke the dies on the stamping machines.

Luke the Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford Explorer, 2015 Ford C-Max, 2021 Cybertruck
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Country flag
The 301/310 probably has less molybdenum content than 316 SS (closer to 304). 304 isn't as resistant to Chlorides and 316, but hopefully they take a look at this. I live in Michigan and get salt-watery cars in the winter. If the undercarriage covers most of the bottom and is sealed really well (which it should be for batteries) then this shouldn't be too much of a concern
Tesla Cybertruck Corrosion resistance in Cybertruck may not be perfect 1603916053267

Tesla Cybertruck Corrosion resistance in Cybertruck may not be perfect 1603916035831
Sponsored