Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag

WholeMars usually has accurate leaks but I can't find a source, any one else know about any details?
Sponsored

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Raptor, 20XX Tesla Cybertruck
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
What does this mean? 800 vs 900?

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I don't know where they're getting that. The Supercharger network isn't licensed for that.

-Crissa
Existing Superchargers don't need to be, do they? Correct me if I am wrong, but a 900v system would still be able to be charged by existing DC fast chargers without changing them.

Porsche Taycan has an 800v system and it can charge at most CCS chargers even if they don't support 800v.

I assume a 900v system (if true) would be driven by cost gains (at volume) and a potential increased charging speed would just be an added benefit.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
We don't know anything about v4 SC, but may be like Hummer and Taycan. Where charging is at 400ish to split pack, or vice versa.
I have always thought that CT 1/2 would be single pack and Tri/+ would be double pack due to the different in range.
From my understanding the higher the voltage the faster (or more torque). The amperage would be how long one can sustain such speed or torque.
I'm hoping with going lithium to replace lead acid that we can finally go 48v and just use a DC/DC to anything needing 12v.

RedCoast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Country flag
Can someone please explain what this means? Does it mean better charging times? More utility, better safety?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can someone please explain what this means? Does it mean better charging times? More utility, better safety?
Higher voltage means lower amperage - or more energy for a lower amperage. Amperage creates heat, requires heavier wires, more cooling.

So being able to run at a higher voltage means generally lighter weight, faster recharging.

But... Safety? Not necessarily. If you were pumping the same energy, the same speed, you'd get less heat. But if you want faster charging, you're going to push that envelope.

And higher voltage needs more special insulation, newer more expensive electronics, etc. And it could result in the installed Supercharger network being incompatible.

-Crissa

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I don't know where they're getting that. The Supercharger network isn't licensed for that.

-Crissa
Maybe this is what semi super chargers use, and that would lead to what I've suggested in the past... Semi super chargers with pull through stations for use with CT.

Reactions: Neo

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Having followed the structural pack tear down we now know there is no way in hell that a single 4680 cell is going to get removed and replaced. This is more problematic with higher voltage packs.

If true Tesla knows what they are doing and they have determined that the odds of 2* 4680 failing in the same parallel group is worth the chance that an entire pack needs replacement under warranty given the overall savings to the vehicle. (*could be 1 cell failing).

I will probably some flax for this, but on my EV Conversion one of my Tesla S modules had (4) 18650 cells fail in the same cell group. Rather than wasting a $1600 module I connected 4 matched 18650 cells in a parrallel group and connect that to to the bus plate that included the damaged cells. I approximated an appropriate fuse size. I has worked for 6 months now.

I wonder if 1 or 2 4680 failed and Tesla could identify them, they could do something similar or maybe there are 3 -4 extra cells in there already and Tesla just has to configure them to take the place of the failed cell/s. I am sure their BMS has come along way.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
The higher voltage will also mean the powertrain can generate more torque. In a towing or off-roading scenario, this would be a welcome addition. Tesla has also stated that the 900 volt configuration only really makes sense for larger vehicles (Semi and CT) and that it is not cost effective for the 3 or Y.
Sponsored