CyberTruck competitor Chevy Silverado EV looks pretty good

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Looking at it here, the midgate looks super nice.
I'm confused. The pic you posted is of the front of the truck right? Confused on how it shows "the midgate looks super nice."
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm confused. The pic you posted is of the front of the truck right? Confused on how it shows "the midgate looks super nice."
I was looking at the thick chin. Two thoughts, one photo. Not a great photo choice. (I removed the photo since it is posted above regardless).

OP
OP
DallasCyberTruck

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
Thanks for sharing!! If it wasn't for CT, the Silverado or Rivian would have gotten my top pick.
My pleasure. I would have to agree. Baring any unreasonable pricing, Chevy is my favorite substitute if no CT in the near future.
I did like the Taycan as far as cars are concerned. The range could be improved upon but it’s a magnificent machine.
Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck competitor Chevy Silverado EV looks pretty good F3752CEC-698F-402F-9475-7D61C26F16D2
Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck competitor Chevy Silverado EV looks pretty good BE9BB9F4-D711-4FB6-AEBF-F658BE8FC754
Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck competitor Chevy Silverado EV looks pretty good 5A8EF4B4-27FD-4FC3-AA61-B06D51E53CE3
Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck competitor Chevy Silverado EV looks pretty good 763DAE45-D087-4DF5-AC46-B9E0C6BC7BB2

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Incidentally, almost all of the criticisms that the Cybertruck will need custom accessories and can’t leverage the existing truck accessory market apply to the Silverado as well. The way the front of this is built, any cap, lumber rack, or bed cover will need to be custom for this truck. (Or maybe shared with the Avalanche??)

Not a deal breaker on either, just wanted to point out the Cybertruck isn’t the only one to have this issue.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Make an electric vehicle is easy, scale up to volume production is hard! - Elon Musk. let’s see if they can deliver more than 1 per quarter.

Does GM have long term nickel mining contract? Nope, no one else does!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Make an electric vehicle is easy, scale up to volume production is hard! - Elon Musk. let’s see if they can deliver more than 1 per quarter.

Does GM have long term nickel mining contract? Nope, no one else does!
GM outsources their cell production to LG Chem including co-locating in their battery plant. I’m quite certain LG Chem has long term contracts for nickel and other materials.

Of course that very likely increases GMs battery costs, and given their fairly lethargic ramp of the Hummer, scaling speed doesn’t seem to be a big concern of GM management. Maybe they are thinking when their Ultium plant comes online? No clue. GM seems like they are run largely by committee and decades of complacency.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
GM outsources their cell production to LG Chem including co-locating in their battery plant. I’m quite certain LG Chem has long term contracts for nickel and other materials.

Of course that very likely increases GMs battery costs, and given their fairly lethargic ramp of the Hummer, scaling speed doesn’t seem to be a big concern of GM management. Maybe they are thinking when their Ultium plant comes online? No clue. GM seems like they are run largely by committee and decades of complacency.

GM knows they are losing money on every EV they sell especially now that raw materials have skyrocketed in price. They are putting all the Nikola investment to good use, pretty prototypes and pictures sell a crap ton of stock! They have no intention of ramping up production, Marry is leading the EV industry with her golden parachute!

Yes LG chem has very large mining contract with an Australia mine but why would they pass on the savings?

Last edited:

PK3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I like the Silverado EV look better than the Ford, not a fan of the pig nose Rivian. However GM/Ford have always planned for repairs, expensive repairs, they make more off of parts then they do off the actual vehicle sales, this worries me as I don't see them making much off the EV sales which means they may look to make more off EV parts.

I come to terms I won't have a cybertruck until 2024 at the earliest and I really don't see these being available at msrp before then either, but if they are I might have to take a closer look but not going to reserve one.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
GM knows they are losing money on every EV they sell especially now that raw materials have skyrocketed in price. They are putting all the Nikola investment to good use, good pretty prototypes and pictures sell a crap ton of stock! They have no intention of ramping up production, Marry is leading the EV industry with her golden parachute!

Yes LG chem has very large mining contract with an Australia mine but why would they pass on the savings?
I think the only automaker who genuinely thinks they are going to be able to hold back the tide of EVs entirely at this point is Stellantis.

I suspect GM is focused on how to ramp up EV sales and make a profit. They seem pretty incompetent at this point so it may not happen. Likely LG and GM have a contract setting rates based on raw materials costs. Hard to say.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Meh, I own a 16 GMC 2500 Diesel (and a Tesla M3P and have a Tri/Quad, hopefully Plaid CT on order)...I like my GMC Truck a lot for what it is.

Cute Truck...1300lb payload? Plastic Bed Wall (sorry but I hate the midgate), prob weights more than my 2500 (8400lbs) to get to a 400mi range (look how much the hummer weights to get to 300)

If I wanted a hooning / toy eTruck I'd get the Rivian (smaller better for off-roading, 4 motors, etc)...otherwise the CT (Tri and above specs), Stainless/no dent, efficiency advantage (I'm speculating), etc is worth the wait...

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cute Truck...1300lb payload? Plastic Bed Wall (sorry but I hate the midgate), prob weights more than my 2500 (8400lbs) to get to a 400mi range (look how much the hummer weights to get to 300)
The bed walls don’t bother me, they are likely pretty tough.

The 1300 pounds capacity, now that would bug me.

Just yesterday in my Model Y: 5 adults, average weight ~170 pounds (I was pulling that up, I have skinny friends), 4 bikes, a big ice-chest, and a fair amount of gear. We’re easily pushing 1,100 pounds in my Model Y. In my Tundra, we managed to squeeze 8 adults and 7 bikes.

A truck needs to be in the 2,000 pound cargo capacity range. The 3,500 for the Cybertruck is kind-of overkill. The Rivian’s 1,750 is passable. But 1,300 for a “Serious” truck is pretty weak.
Sponsored