Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No doubt that the legacy automakers are building great products. What ruins the experience is walking into the dealership and being harassed in the sales department and later in the service department. That’s what sets Tesla apart from the dealership process.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No doubt that the legacy automakers are building great products. What ruins the experience is walking into the dealership and being harassed in the sales department and later in the service department. That’s what sets Tesla apart from the dealership process.
Tesla will drop the car off in your driveway in a lot of cities.

It is a whole other process.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
GM knows they are losing money on every EV they sell especially now that raw materials have skyrocketed in price. They are putting all the Nikola investment to good use, pretty prototypes and pictures sell a crap ton of stock! They have no intention of ramping up production, Marry is leading the EV industry with her golden parachute!

Yes LG chem has very large mining contract with an Australia mine but why would they pass on the savings?
Do you happen to know which Australian miner and which mines?

Cyberjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan frontier, electric conversion isetta
Country flag
Dallas Auto Show was nice. Lots of EVs and I got to ride in the F150 Lightening. Snaps your head back into the headrest FAST. If the Ford is that fast, I can only imagine what the CT can do !

24D29991-751F-4518-B355-D55F26ADEF62.jpeg

BA3741A7-0FC0-4672-8DCE-E1368ED25F07.jpeg
CE2E3CDD-E4A7-4F16-A76B-4118D5E4178F.jpeg
6284FEEA-0416-4FF0-95F3-5C476D07996E.jpeg
The only problem here is that it is actually a ford, so it’s junk. The same problem chevy has. After owning both chevys and fords I am reconciled to buying something, anything else!

Cyberjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the Silverado looks good except for this one thing. It still has that oversized pump shoe thing going on that the hummer has. Their skateboard platform is quite thick.

Looking at it here, the midgate looks super nice. Maybe if they ever make some in a reasonable price range I’ll take a look at one.
So the only redeeming or good feature is the tailgate? Why buy it then? I say aim a bit higher. We have been disappointed so many times by chevy that a working tailgate is a cause for celebration. Lets first see if the truck will last longer than the bolt before we start giving accolades to gm for innovation.

Cyberjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ya
I pre ordered one of these too.
Not that I think Chev Volt or Bolt were great. It is becuse of the Chevy Volt and Bolt that I pre ordered one of these
I mean Chev had to learn from all their mistakes.
1. Previous failure
2. Traditional design
3. NiCd storage
4. Government backed
5, Corruption has been flagged on the Ford E
Why?
I really do not need a charge infra structure. Long trips I fly and rent. My jobs do not require driving like a salesperson would need.
Problems
Tesla hands down is the best under hood EV maker, but other companies have not franchised out Tesla under hood EV design.
LFP 2680 Round Can Battery
This LFP is a must, but the round can fail, and all EV manufactures may have to go with China Flat LFP. I Could be wrong but Tesla preliminary Manufactuing of LFP show the round can battery is not a good idea.
Here is the problem with your logic. See GM will turn out lemons like they are in a lemonade making contest. Just because they screwed the pooch on the volt and big time on the bolt (just remember GM And Ford were getting millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars to come up with a viable EV since the 70’s and didn’t sell a single EV car) so why with 50 years of not being able to make a successful EV, why should the SilveradoEV succeed. I say 50 years of sucking at something proves they will continue in the same vein. If you buy one you become the sucker simply put.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here is the problem with your logic. See GM will turn out lemons like they are in a lemonade making contest. Just because they screwed the pooch on the volt and big time on the bolt (just remember GM And Ford were getting millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars to come up with a viable EV since the 70’s and didn’t sell a single EV car) so why with 50 years of not being able to make a successful EV, why should the SilveradoEV succeed. I say 50 years of sucking at something proves they will continue in the same vein. If you buy one you become the sucker simply put.
Exactly right

It's like a sports team. pIts Pre-season and there's talk of making finals (playoffs..or whatever)

But the team didn't cut it last year, and hasn't for years. Your list is ageing, you have the same coach, same recruiting and development team, and you have brought in a player or 2.

Dream on.... talk is cheap. First game and it's back to reality.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So the only redeeming or good feature is the tailgate? Why buy it then? I say aim a bit higher. We have been disappointed so many times by chevy that a working tailgate is a cause for celebration. Lets first see if the truck will last longer than the bolt before we start giving accolades to gm for innovation.
I think maybe you hit reply on the wrong post?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla was built on NiCd not LFP and this round can is experimental where flat LFP is more road proven but still not as good as old Panasonic NiCd.
Uhh... NiCd? Nickel-Cadmium batteries had been out of style for about thirty years. My Gameboy from the 80s had a Lithium battery pack! Tesla has used various Lithium-polymer batteries: Li-poly, NMC, NCA, etc. Current 2170s are some sort of NCA, as probably are the Panasonic 18650s now.

LFP batteries are well-tested but only saw much use in China and bicycles because patents kept them unaffordable outside China - the patent agreement let them experiment in China without paying extra. They're bulkier and slightly heavier than the nickel-based batteries that everyone else uses... but they don't have the same charge capacity fade issue over time, Earlier ones were more susceptible to cold, but that just means they have to consume more energy for active temperature management. All Lithium batteries regain their capacity (and charge) when they warm back up anyhow.

-Crissa

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I love that electric trucks are being conceptualized! I hope the chevy gets made without the expected elimination of the good stuff of the concept truck at the show. I've lost any expectation of a reasonable price though. What I haven't lost is my experience with trucks and the effects of opening the back of the cabin to the aerodynamics of a truck. There is an elephant in the room regarding pass through from the bed to the cabin, which is the low pressure area behind the cab. No matter how you arrange this area, once you open the cabin to this area you introduce a back draft. anything that gets caught in this air flow enters the cabin. Dust, rain, trash, small rocks, exhaust, etc.. The effect can be abated by opening the front windows. But, the better solution is to just extend the bed length to 8 feet. I remember that although I have driven trucks with rear windows that open for access to the bed area, I cannot drive on highways with the window open because it grabs everything from the roof line and deposits it in my face. I hope these manufacturers find a solution, but I really doubt any of them will sacrifice their thin profit margin to solve it, even if it means returning to an 8' bed.

OP
OP
DallasCyberTruck

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
The Good
One good thing Chev Etruck right now is crazy low $39,900. I hope I can get it for $40 grand before Chevy reviews the true Etruck cost to build. Chevy Etruck is worth an easy $100,000 and maybe even $150,000
Rivian
They had 50,000 pre orders but Rivian found they had to reneged and charge $100 grand which is their real cost to build. Pre order price cost Rivian investors via stock price drop $1.5 Billion loss resulting in a Rivian IPO that is now under the water.
Etrucks no matter who builds them are expensive to build.

Power my home thru a Etruck is
I hate it, but you’re right. $39999 price is just a dream..

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
The only problem here is that it is actually a ford, so it’s junk. The same problem chevy has. After owning both chevys and fords I am reconciled to buying something, anything else!
I had a Dodge pickup in the shop several times in the first year, and a Chevy van in the shop about 15 times in 2 years. Tesla Y in the shop zero times, in 15 months, zero maintenence, no complaints.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Only Tesla and BYD produce their own batteries. Tesla has stated the 4680's will be basically twice as good and cost half as much as previous batteries.

OEM's don't have 4680's. Their battery suppliers have customers lining up at the door. At best, let's be nice and start at $120 per kWh as a minimum cost.

A truck would have to have at least 120 KWH battery..... asif.. But lets say only 120KWh.

120 kWh times $120 = $14,000

They are lying .... again

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Only Tesla and BYD produce their own batteries. Tesla has stated the 4680's will be basically twice as good and cost half as much as previous batteries.

OEM's don't have 4680's. Their battery suppliers have customers lining up at the door. At best, let's be nice and start at $120 per kWh as a minimum cost.

A truck would have to have at least 120 KWH battery..... asif.. But lets say only 120KWh.

120 kWh times $120 = $14,000

They are lying .... again
We really don’t know how close to their goals Tesla got with the 4680 cells. When they did Battery day they said they could cut the price of cells by 56%. The cost of cells to Tesla at the time was around $137/ kWh so we might see 4680 cells as low as $60/ kWh. If they got the price that low on this pass, that would be ridiculously good.

So your 120 kWh truck battery would be $7,200. Of course since then raw materials prices have gone up. Hard to say how much Tesla’s been able to hedge against those pricing increases. Also hard to say how much of that 56% price reduction Tesla has managed to realize. We know they had to change at least some of the process.

If the Cybertruck is 14% more efficient than the Rivian, a 120 kWh pack would yield about 325 miles range. A 100 kWh pack would give them a range of around 270 miles. That corresponds well to the ranges of the 2 lower end Cybertrucks.

Why 14%? Because that’s how much more range Tesla says the 4680 cells will deliver.
Sponsored